Model Cars Magazine Forum

Like I need another project, I know, but this is gonna be a VERY slow project, infact due to what I have in parts so far, I can only do the interior, and if I get a front bumper I can do the body.

When you deceided you wanted a GMC Sport truck you were given 1 choice with 3 sub choices, all where short wheelbase, you had stepside 4x2, wideside 4x2 and wideside 4x4.

All models featured body color grille, silver painted bumpers, red stripeing on bumpers and body sides, Aluminum wheels and Sierra ST decals on doors and tailgate, and fog lamps.

Your Sierra ST was available in only 3 color combinations Onyx Black, Catalina Blue, and Crimson Red upper body, all with Quicksilver lower body color.

I like the color black and painting it, so I went with Onyx black.

Of course my truck will have a 350 and a 4 spd automatic.

FILE1432.jpg

being stripped

FILE1450.jpg

'91 Brochure

8.jpg

EDIT:I fixed the grille holes since that picture was taken.

Edited by Nick Winter

Well I did some research for what a sticker price would be on this truck.

Base price $13,333

Freight $595

5.7 liter v8 (350) $845

4 Spd automatic $103

Locking diff $252

SLE décor package $794

Sport package (ST) $754

Bed liner $225

Sport handling package $1004

Convienace package ZQ2 (power windows and locks) $367

Convienace package ZQ3 (tilt wheels, cruise control) $383

Sliding rear window $113

Total $19,555 without licensing and plates

and got a more recent pic of the grille

FILE1454.jpg

Edited by Nick Winter

Nick, you can do better than that :) a Chevy grille with a GMC emblem on it? you are planning on making the correct ribbed GMC grille and changing the vertical side sections right?

Dave the vertical side marker lights have been done if you look, and it's no longer a chevy grille, note the fact that there is no center horizontal grille bar?

and as for the cross hatching inside the grille there wasn't a huge diffrence

GMC

gmc.jpg

Chevy

chevy.jpg

and Dave, if you look at how far I am in the build I'm still collecting parts and stripping painted ones.

Nick

the vertical side sections i was referring to are those that surround the grille opening not the sidemarkers. i did notice that you had made the side markers look like one piece units but they still need the thin vertical rib or definition that borders them where they meet the headlights. the grille itself also looks much different from the Chevy one as your refernence pics you posted show. simply cutting some grooves into the center grille bar of the Chevy unit isn't going to cut it in my opinion. the GMC grille looks like a ribbed panel with rounded corners, not a squared milk crate style pattern like the Chevy.

like i said before, i'm not picking on you here, i think you can do better :) i've had plenty of experience with the 1:1 grilles in both trucks having worked in a truck accessories shop in the 90's. there really isn't alot that they have in common with each other.

Dave Like the point I tried to make above, I'm not even close to done, just starting.

Great subject, Nick.

I can see you're working on that grille, but I have to go with Dave on this. You ARE capable of doing a little better. It'll take a little doing, but I think you can get it there. Lots of thin Styrene rod and patience will help you arrive.

Keep it coming.

Charlie Larkin

• 3 weeks later...

That exhaust system looks familiar lol! Hmmmmm....

Not for long......................I'm thinking dealer installed cat back exhuast.......

FILE1666.jpg

Also added the letters to the grille

FILE1665.jpg

started putting my engine together

FILE1672.jpg

I wanted to use 454SS style wheels and a set of Goodyear GT radials, but I had neither so for now..........still gotta sand the treads a bit

FILE1670.jpg

FILE1667.jpg

FILE1668.jpg

FILE1674.jpg

started working on the suspension too

FILE1671.jpg

after going back over the features the kit has and that I'm adding this is more realistic to the actual cost;

Base price (C1500,shortbed, single cab) $13,333

Freight $595

5.7 liter v8 (350) $845

4 Spd automatic $103

Locking diff $252

Optional axel ratio $44

SLE EZ-Spec Group 3 (SLE décor package, Cruise control, tilt wheel, A/C, Power Windows and Locks, Stainless steel mirrors, Cassette player, auxiliary lighting) $2590

Sport package (ST) $754

Bed liner $225

Sport handling package $1004

Sliding rear window $113

Custom Cloth Reclining Bucket seats $510

HD shock absorbers (Bilstein shocks) $40

Destination charge $595

Total $21,003

Nick

Edited by Nick Winter

Well I'll be Darned if I can find the Steering wheel I dug out, added a column shift to and painted, So I'll have to find another, but other than that and a little dashboard detailing left to do, the interior is done, also added the foglights to the front facia under the bumper. Also painted the chassis plate, still need to do the rails.

FILE1719.jpg

FILE1718.jpg

FILE1717.jpg

FILE1715.jpg

FILE1714.jpg

FILE1713.jpg

FILE1711.jpg

Nick