Model Cars Magazine Forum

1941 chevy pickup lowrider (Hell Train)PAINT TIME

The last thing i need to do is start another project as I have about a million started but started this kit that I won at my lhc. It will be a total full on lowrider with a bed full of batteries and hydro pumps....

165206_1548420871082_1251895871_31186009_112294_n.jpg165246_1548421311093_1251895871_31186014_6878676_n.jpg

shaving all the handles, vents, running board ribs, etc,. etc.

Edited by Darren B

I have about 50 projects going on, and there are coming models faster than I get them finished... So that doesn't really matter... That's very nice looking Pickup so far, like your idea. Must get this kit, that's so great start for a custom. I should maybe chop the top, but that looks good too. Like it, keep pictures coming. :angry:

Ok, I did not come up with this and will not call it my own tut either, A guy whose id on a lowrider forum by the name of Truscale came up with this very cool way to make button tufted lowrider interiors. So I am giving all props to Truscale for this tutorial. Basically any copyrights he owns, lol!!! I just thought it was cool as can be because i primarily model lowriders and before this had no way of doing button tufted upholstery. Now if any one has an idea for doing correct scale coffin pleat upholstery please post.

Merced20083511.jpg

Merced20083517.jpg

Merced20083519.jpg

Merced20083520.jpg

Merced20083521.jpg

Merced20083523.jpg

Merced20083525.jpg

Merced20083527.jpg

Merced20083529.jpg

What you do is get a paper cutter/trimmer from michaels or hobby lobby. One with the round cutting wheel, straight blade just stretches the foam. File of the edge of the cutting wheel with a coarse sanding stick till it is real dull. Take the color foam you want to use for the interior color and make your square scores in the foam till you have patterns large enough for your build. Use masking tape to make patterns for the interior and lay those on the foam to make the patterns. At a model rail road store get the little rivets they have and paint those to match and you add those as the buttons, he says he drills holes and puts the post thru each hole where a button would be.

DSCN1410.jpg

This is my cutter I bought at hobby lobby, the name is cuttapede and it is 24.95, I used the 40% off and it was $14.95. Just filed off the edge of the cutting wheel and it works perfect, the model Truscale purchased is $69.95 and he got it at michaels. It may work better or not, mine works just fine so basically its in the choice of the tool for the person.

Guest JamesDE

Man this is lookin really cool! Thats the way to go with these 41 Chevy's....

Cant wait to see the interior... Ive been wanting to try the button tuck ever since Eric posted it on LIL

Man this is lookin really cool! Thats the way to go with these 41 Chevy's....

Cant wait to see the interior... Ive been wanting to try the button tuck ever since Eric posted it on LIL

Thank you, I cant wait either on the interior except that I have a lot of work boxing in the door and making a door panel to cover the tubes that hold the hinges. that will be a challenge.

:lol: lookin great..love the doors!!...will the bench fit, or you gonna use buckets?

great start on the swamp kooler...I did one the same way as you..fits in the window, and can be removed.

keep the updates coming :D;):D :D

IMG_1518.jpg

Edited by Stasch

hey darren,

truck is coming along nice. i like the suicied doors. nice touch. looking forward to some more updates.

oh and i too know what you mean on starting so many projects..i just get a kick from it. :lol:

Its fun but my history is i dont go back and finish them so im trying to limit to just a few, however when you need stuff to dry its good to get on other projects as the other ones dry!

:P lookin great..love the doors!!...will the bench fit, or you gonna use buckets?

great start on the swamp kooler...I did one the same way as you..fits in the window, and can be removed.

keep the updates coming :lol:;):P;)

IMG_1518.jpg

man that cooler looks factory made, what did you use for the end cap? the finned cap looks awesome.

This build is going to do me in, buddy. I LOVE IT. You must take your vitamins and keep it going!

Thank you for the inspiration, I need it right now to keep on schedule and not let it sit in the box unfinished for years.

thanks..when I got to where yours was in the pic, I glued a scrap of styrene to the end. The finned area is a fan hub from the parts box,cut off the blades then I fit the diagonal and shaped it with a sanding stick. Little bit of putty and shaping...I did leave the end long for final fitting....

IMG_1456.jpg

IMG_1454.jpg

IMG_1519.jpg

thanks..when I got to where yours was in the pic, I glued a scrap of styrene to the end. The finned area is a fan hub from the parts box,cut off the blades then I fit the diagonal and shaped it with a sanding stick. Little bit of putty and shaping...I did leave the end long for final fitting....

IMG_1456.jpg

IMG_1454.jpg

IMG_1519.jpg

That is awesome, I love your version of the cooler. Both ends are totally realistic.

Darren......I have been watching ......and this is going to be nice.......luv it man.

Thank you, My work is slamming me now with a lot of installs so for at least the next month progress is gonna be slow. ;) However with the economy im not complaining but if there is a lack of updates thats the reason.

looks good bro. got a color picked for it yet?

Not really but my last two lowriders were green so it wont be that the the two before that was burgundy metal flake with ghost patterns. 1 Color does stick out and that is a candy orange. Im open for any suggestions thou.

Try candy red or brandy wine with some patterns done in gold and silver as your base B) .

Also instead of putting your hydros and batteries in the bed and making it look cluttered try putting them under the bed. Go get some angled styrine (the stuff theat looks like angle iron) and fab up your battery rack and hydro rack. That way it looks clean simple and perfect rather then cluttered. The only thing that will show is your hydraulic cylinders in the center of your bed ;)