Model Cars Magazine Forum

1941 chevy pickup lowrider (Hell Train)PAINT TIME

I cant wait to see how your gonna tackle painting this beast. There is alot of detail and, layers (if you will) going on with this build. Looking great man. Keep going! :rolleyes:

Thank you for your comment, i am starting to think about paint and the hardest thing is going to be painting all the weapons, mice, rats, concrete, etc, that will take a lot to figure out.

I agree, I think it's going to be a wonderful model once you get it painted. Can't wait. Go, go, go.

Virgil, i have been wondering what it would look like if you painted it. Ill try to do it justice but have a lot ahead of me on making it look convincing.

Im beginning to rethink this as a lowrider especially the way i am finishing the bed with the rats and stone, the hydro cylinders would have to poke up thou it and i am now not wanting to mess with that over all look, i could make short cylinders but even then there is not much room they would have to come up thru the bed. Will have to give it more thought as to what it will be more of a rod or show rod or just a custom truck, not sure but i am second guessing myself on this one.

Edited by Darren B

Im beginning to rethink this as a lowrider

This needs some big 'ol wide whites with either some classic five spokes or some black steelies. I've never cared for those itty bitty wires on full size anything, but I know its a popular trend and to each his own. But by all means lower the heck out of it. But remember, it's a model, you really don't have to explain why its low. You don't need pumps and air tanks. Just alter the ride height like they would have in the past. Dropped axels and de-arched springs, cut the coils and flip the spindles. Old schol all the way for this one. But that's just my opinion.

This has a great gothic feel that I really like. I've got something like this planned for the future and you've given me some real inspiriation. Keep it up.

Edited by Jantrix

how about 2 hallowed skulls on the rear to raise the area for the cylinders.

as far as painting I would look into a few citadel paints. when I did minitures even my painting skills looked good with citadells

I was looking at them the other day at the gamer store, and they have some cool colors and may go that route. Im studying stone work and cemetery pics on the net to get the stone work to look realistic. When i figure out what colors to get ill go the citadel route, i keep a few bottle of their badab black on hand as its a great wash for engines and other type of models, may be making citadel paints a staple for other builds.

Wat about putting the cylinders inside the wheel fenders if possible.... the truck is lookin awesome keep up the good work

Now thats an idea that would have never crossed my mind, that would work if there is enough room, may drop the disk brakes and put the cylinders there if i have to. i have given it a lot of thought and still want to have full hydros on it as that was what gave me the idea for the truck.

Not much of an update, did a little, but most of it has been in body work, getting rid of flaws in the body work, sink marks, making sure everything matches and working on the layout for the hydro cylinders, did make a weapons rack on each side of hood and came across some skull beads at a bed store over the weekend, they are a little on the large size but liked the color of them. Was worried that the weapons on the hood might look cluttered but had that idea for a long time now, just wanted to see what it would look like.

DSCN2804.jpg

DSCN2805.jpg

DSCN2803.jpg

DSCN2801.jpg

Edited by Darren B

Thank you Ron, another small update, still working on body work and doing some studying on the painting of the foam and all the little parts and trying to come up with a overall color for the outside of the truck, did get the rear hydro cylinders built however.

DSCN2881.jpg

Edited by Darren B

Thanks Dr.Cranky, no updates at this point, im stumped on how to install the hydros for the back axle because there is not a lot of room to put the cylinders under the bed without coming up thru the bed and changing the look of the stone and rats. Spent 8 striaight hours yesterday looking on the net and lowrider madazine and nothing is working out...

Thanks Dr.Cranky, no updates at this point, im stumped on how to install the hydros for the back axle because there is not a lot of room to put the cylinders under the bed without coming up thru the bed and changing the look of the stone and rats. Spent 8 striaight hours yesterday looking on the net and lowrider madazine and nothing is working out...

Could you skip the cylinders and go with bags only? Just a thought. Either way will look great.

Could you skip the cylinders and go with bags only? Just a thought. Either way will look great.

If I may offer my opinion, I'd love to see this truck riding on wide white walls and smoothie rims just bagged out. I'd put a four link in the rear and dual A arms up front.

Just my two cents, but a bit of fun anyways :(

Thanks guys for the suggestions, i have made my decision and that is to just show the springs on the cups of the hydro cylinders that will be right on the axle that (will fit) and still give the idea of the hydros pancaked flat on the rear. The front will have full cylinders. Well I couldnt leave well enough alone and decided to go with my original idea for spiked chains for a grill. Back to the gamer store.

DSCN2914.jpg

DSCN2915.jpg

There bendable so just have to make an edge all the way around that I can attach them to. and with the extra parts left over from the pack will have more chains and spikey things to add to the truck somewhere.

DSCN2917.jpg

DSCN2916.jpg

Edited by Darren B

Thanks guys for the comments, check out www.reapermini.com they have the dark heavens line that i have gotten all my stuff from and they run from about 5.00 - 10.00 each , which isnt to bad, its when you get into the warhammer line that it gets really pricey some kits up as high as 80-90 dollars must starting at 30.00, I have 79.95 in all the little kits I got for my build but thats 11 different little packs..... There are more brands out there you can probably even get them on evil bay if you go that route they may be cheaper, but you have shipping. Check out a gamer store in your area to get an idea what they have.

Thanks again everyone for your awesome comments, its whats keeping me from putting this nightmare of a build back in the box. Ok now the grill is taken on a different shape than originally planned, i spent 8 hours carving out the grill surround out of the sign foam because I was going to have the spiked chains something to mount in and I wanted to keep the stone look to continue to the front of the truck. However the spiked chains are so bendable that I was having a problem just getting them shaped to the shape of the front of the truck, so im thinking about putting 5 of these skulls with spinal cord in the grille like an old fifties grille look. Let me know what you all think as the shape of the foam is giving it (in my opinion) a goofy smile look to it.

DSCN2946.jpg

DSCN2944.jpg

DSCN2942.jpg

DSCN2950.jpg

DSCN2951.jpg

DSCN2952.jpg

Of course all the skulls would be looking straight ahead of course just had no way of doing a decent mock up for the display.

Also was thinking of adding this on the tailgate, its off of the gamer details that came with the spikes, unless it will turn into a copy right infringement issue that is....

DSCN2949.jpg

Edited by Darren B

man, that front grill looks awesome.

i dont think it'll be an infringement if you use it. it came with the items and since your not taking claim that you made it. i dont see why they would trip. besides, it's good publicity for them, you basically used a whole lot of their stuff. :angry:

This build after all the items being used by reapermini.com they should use it as a promotional piece to advertise the use of the gamer miniatures in other forms of hobby building..... :rolleyes::D:angry:

Edited by Darren B