Model Cars Magazine Forum

1941 chevy pickup lowrider (Hell Train)PAINT TIME

great looking engine! i love the aluminum pulleys, nice work

cheers

bryan

Thanks Bryan, made the pulleys myself, still trying to perfect the machining on my lathe, got a lot to learn.

IMG_20120706_023233.jpg

got the front calipers on and the plumbing for the hydraulics on the front.

I have followed this build from the start. I've really enjoyed all the scratchbuilting, the imagination, the paint and all the hard work. Except the decals. I don't delieve they add anything to the build and don't really "fit" the theme of the build very well. Just my $.02. Sorry for the criticism.

Thanks for the comments, im really wanting to get this one done and on to the mans ruin build, however Im considering retiring from cars and trucks for a while (not very long, just to try something new) to build some airplanes that I have picked up recently for a change of pace and try my hand at other subjects, tired of always making things so shiny.

The clear i used on this one was from testors, high gloss clear. I wanted to use what Cranky uses but didnt take the time to order any.

The bars on the grill should be filled in and I was going to do that before I epoxied the grill to the body, so now if i mess up i cant just dip the grill in brake fluid. If i fill it in will probably use black tape strips cut to shape.

I do agree with you Rob on the decals, they were an after thought especially the eyeballs and once placed knew that it gave it a cheesy/corny look to the front especially, and since the grill shape is like a smiley face, did not help either. I had some lanterns from the munsters kit that I was going to add for the headlights sense i sanded off the headlights but never got around to fabricating a good mounting system and added these as an afterthought. I just dont have the energy or gumption to sand off and start over, the paint on the fenders gave me a lot of hassle, every time I clear coated it got all pock marked and I had to let dry, sand and start over,, did it 7 times and this time it laid down even enough. So much clear that the parts are fighting me on fitting the right way.

Soon however will be able to get this thing in the under the glass thread!!!!

Edited by Darren B

Unless you have cleared over the decals :( some wetting solution should be able to loosen the decals up.

As for the headlights. Since you have the lanterns how about just a curved piece of metal rod and let them dangle like the chandeliers on the Duke's Caddy in Escape from New York. That way mounting equals drilling a single hole. Sorry this one has given you so many issues., bu we have enjoyed watching it happen.

Unless you have cleared over the decals :( some wetting solution should be able to loosen the decals up.

As for the headlights. Since you have the lanterns how about just a curved piece of metal rod and let them dangle like the chandeliers on the Duke's Caddy in Escape from New York. That way mounting equals drilling a single hole. Sorry this one has given you so many issues., bu we have enjoyed watching it happen.

Thats an idea right there, i like that, im off to hobby lobby to look for something for a base and i like the dangle part. I did clear over the decals and went thru all the decals that I have and came up with this, not much better but not as goofy as before.

IMG_20120721_171348.jpg

great detailing and paint work darren, although the colors don't do it for me, sorry. I would have gone darker otherwise great job.

thank you, I was gonna do more blood red with ghost patterns showing thru but kinda gave up on that idea.