Model Cars Magazine Forum

32 Ford 'Knight-mare'...

Kanedge

Hi there, this is my first build post on MCM Forum and wanted to share my current build.

Current build is a Revell 32 Ford. I'm building it because I was supposed to be trying out some flame masks that my mate is manufacturing, but somewhere and a magazine later, there was a change of direction in the build.

It has been lowered, and I'm using Pegasus wheels, 19's front and 23's rear.

This is the basic mockup and hopefully how it will turn out.

img_5912.jpg

img_5913.jpg

img_5914.jpg

img_5915.jpg

post-7436-0-94677200-1293320792_thumb.jp

post-7436-0-27163900-1293320795_thumb.jp

post-7436-0-55549600-1293320797_thumb.jp

post-7436-0-59462500-1293320799_thumb.jp

Edited by Kanedge

Here is the start of the engine and interior.

The engine is painted with Testor's One Coat Bronze and my own version of Black Chrome.

Interior is painted with Tamiya Racing White and has been striped with black sprue.

Thanks for looking.

IMG_6239.jpg

IMG_6240.jpg

IMG_6250.jpg

post-7436-0-32256600-1293321232_thumb.jp

post-7436-0-02525700-1293321237_thumb.jp

post-7436-0-91456000-1293321241_thumb.jp

Edited by Kanedge

Looks like you have something good going on there, Kane. Further updates should be interesting and welcome to the forum.

I see the seats, but what do you mean "striped with black sprue"? And how did you do it?

Thanks for the welcome and kind comments.

I heated and stretched black sprue and then it was just a matter of gluing it on around the edge. It's time consuming but I think the results are worth it.

• 2 weeks later...

Well time for an update to show that I have done some work on this, even though there is not much to show for it.

This build has officially done my head in. Literally every part has been painted at least twice.

As for the guards, they took me 4 attempts to get right.

1st - polished a fraction too much, and went through the clear and couldn't save it...

2nd - think I tried redoing too quickly, sprayed clear on and a couple of drops of clear spat out of my airbrush and discoloured the base coat...

3rd - got a fisheye in the clear, could've polished out but I tried the old 'put a drop of clear in the eye, everyone else does it trick', and it crazed my base coat in that spot...

4th - finally worked, I went back to all my basics of painting.

The problem now is that my confidence is so shot, that I'm having trouble finishing it, as I don't want to wreck it, it took me hours to get the courage just to mask and spray the running boards.

Anyway, you will see that it is slowly getting there, I want to finish it so I can start my next one and put this behind me.

Hope the pics are ok, thanks for looking.

IMG_6275.jpg

IMG_6277.jpg

IMG_6278.jpg

IMG_6279.jpg

IMG_6281.jpg

IMG_6282.jpg

Awesome technique with the sprue. It could just be me, but I'll stretch sprue just for the entertainment factor from time to time. It's one of those skills that only takes a minute to master. One of the great things is its ability to go taught again with the precise application of heat when used for things like aircraft antennae wire. The biggest drawback is that when it's stretched to less than a hair's thickness it becomes invisible enough that I frequently break them because I forget that they are there.

Edited by samdiego

Awesome technique with the sprue. It could just be me, but I'll stretch sprue just for the entertainment factor from time to time. It's one of those skills that only takes a minute to master. One of the great things is its ability to go taught again with the precise application of heat when used for things like aircraft antennae wire. The biggest drawback is that when it's stretched to less than a hair's thickness it becomes invisible enough that I frequently break them because I forget that they are there.

Are you sure you're ok, stretching sprue for entertainment? I will admit, it can be fun though, playing with plastic and flames, but I still haven't mastered it, that's for sure.

Thanks for the encouragement everyone.