Model Cars Magazine Forum

Flocking

My best results have always been with Testors Flat spray. I like to use a color close to the carpet color, I generally go with black carpet anyway. I've also been able to color white and blonde flocking with whatever color spray I needed like a light blue or green carpet. I mask what needs it and toss the freshly sprayed part into a paper bag of fuzz and shake. I'll give it a half hour before knocking the loose stuff off.

I use Ken's Funny Fur that I get from Scale Dreams with straight Elmer's white glue. Of course, the area to be flocked is first painted in a color similar to the selected flocking. The flocking is applied through a fine strainer onto the wet glue and pressed with a fingertip. I wait about 30-60 minutes and shake the loose stuff off and gently brush away any other excess. I should have said that I sit the interior on a clean sheet of paper and do the shaking/brushing over the paper. All the excess then goes back into the little plastic container.

I use a brush on acrylic clear flat from Windsor and Newton. I get it at art supply stores. It doesn't dry as fast as other acrylics, so you have some working time.

I like using clear acrylic "paint" as I can control the application, and can be assured it won't seperate over time. Being acrylic it won't effect the base coat (same color as the flocking BTW).

G

as stated before, painting the part the same color as the flocking is a must.

i just use elmer's glue, spread it out even, and dump the fur on the wet glue. i then just wait 10 minutes and shake it off.

i make it a point to not press it with a finger because that clumps it up and to me it just doesn't look right.

as stated before, painting the part the same color as the flocking is a must.

i just use elmer's glue, spread it out even, and dump the fur on the wet glue. i then just wait 10 minutes and shake it off.

i make it a point to not press it with a finger because that clumps it up and to me it just doesn't look right.

Same exact process as I do it, works good ! :D

• 1 month later...

I thin Elmers glue also,but instead of flocking,I use baking soda. I primer it after it's dry to seal it,then paint it my interior color. I always have an exact color match and the soda has a better "in scale" appearance. It also doesn't have the fuzzy look that flocking has.