Model Cars Magazine Forum

Chi Town Hustler, Charger FC

W-409

I got this kit on X-Mas present. It's very great looking kit, and there are lots of great parts. Hemi engine looks very good too. First I started the project from the engine. I painted engine block by orange. I know that it might be aluminium block, but maybe someone has painted it orange... I painted lots of stuff by silver, of course when I'm building race car. Adding spark plug wires wasn't an easy task. First I drilled little graves. Then I drilled holes there and glued wires to place. Wasn't so easy but I think, those wires are looking pretty good... Now I must build frame a little...

PC240541.jpg

PC240533.jpg

PC260550.jpg

PC260551.jpg

PC260552.jpg

Thank you both! Yes, I was thinking that these engines were Keith Black Hemi engines. Just wasn't sure about it. I painted engine block aluminium to my Firebird FC, but that doesn't look so good, because all is silver, as in 1:1 but still, it looks undetailed... This was better way right now. But thank you for the comments.

• 2 months later...

Thank you, Brett! I have painted the frame with red, it's painted by brush, and it's Tamiya paint. Pretty good shade of red, I think, that will be the color of the body also. But I added some little parts to engine, oil filter, starter and so on. Also I glued engine to its place but it still needs some detailing, wires etc. I think, this will continue pretty soon... All reference shots, you have, please post them. I have found some too, but it doesn't matter if I can get more pictures or information.

Painted frame

P3191128.jpg

P3191129.jpg

I drilled holes to exhaust pipes

P3191131.jpg

Engine mounted

P3221174.jpg

P3221175.jpg

P3221176.jpg

P3221177.jpg

Thank you, Gerald and Brett!

The body is getting ready for primer, now I used some putty to remove mold lines from the body. I used MMD Green Putty this time. I must sand that thing smooth and then it is time to spray some primer on it. Then painting the body... :blink:

P3251306.jpg

P3251307.jpg

P3251308.jpg

• 1 year later...

Thanx Andy.

It has been sitting well over an year just collecting dust, so I finally thought I would pull it back on the bench. I worked with the wheels and tires a bit. Nothing special in the front tires, just kit decals added on them. Rear tires have painted lug nuts on Beadlocks and some black wash too.

My plan is to work on the chassis tomorrow, it shouldn't take too many days to get it on four wheels.

PC080415.jpg

PC080416.jpg

I hope it starts coming together as nicely as my '64 Belvedere in NASCARS Section.

Thanks guys.

Brian: It's not hard to beat my build quality. ;) I'm miles away from most of you guys in this forum, but I'm trying to improve.

Bill: Actually I saw that picture today when I came across your (?) WIP-thread of Chi Town Hustler on the ScaleAutoMagazine forum. The block sure looks orange.

Today I was going to start the fuel line plumbing, but actually spent the most of the day searching my Braided Line. Finally found it and started making those fittings and fuel lines, but actually I managed to get only one fuel line end finished. And then I worked with the rear axle a bit, painted it red and installed the Wheelie Bars. Still need to do some paint touchups and install the axle tomorrow once the paint on that Driveshaft is dry.

PC090421.jpg

PC090425.jpg

PC090426.jpg

Thanks Corey! Once you get the Funny Car build started, keep us posted ;) .

I got the Chi Town Hustler of four wheels. Rear axle fit very very nicely to the chassis, but I had some problems with the front axle. Anyway I got it assembled somehow. Actually those rear tires are just mocked up, the brakes are still missing but I had to test how it looks on four wheels.

PC140466.jpg

PC140462.jpg

PC140465.jpg

PC140461.jpg

Nice build Niko. Since I wrapped up the Cannonball I've been working on the same kit. The Revell kit is based on the restored Chi Town Hustler which does use an alluminum KB Hemi, the original CTH used an iron block Hemi since the KB engines weren't introduced until the early 70's. I think the original car did have the iron block painted orange.

Thanks John and Ron!

Interesting information too, thanks for that too. :D

Today I was working with the fuel lines for this thing. There's a lot of work to do before they're complete so I don't have a picture yet. Hope to have more done tomorrow and some pictures for you too.