Model Cars Magazine Forum

Toyota 4x4 pickups

Hi everbody- I just found out about this forum and I need some help finding a couple of Toyota truck models, first one is an AMT Toyota 4x4 a 1983 I think. I heard there were several releases, one was a firetruck. The second one is a current generation Tacoma 4x4. I don't know of any in production but they are everywhere in 1:1, so I thought somebody may be making them or at least planning to. I am also looking for but not finding a 64 Chevelle model. I see Green Light has a 1:64 but they are so small I can hardly see them (heh heh) This last one would seem to be a no- brainer as there are several 65's around in diecast & plastic but no 64's. If anyone knows of any of these I would sure like a heads-up. I have been looking for all 3 for a couple of years. Thanks!

Dave, welcome to the forum, and you've come to the right place for your questions, there are many here ready to help. Unfortunately, I can't help with the Chevelle, the only year Chevelles I really pay attention to are 69 and 70 model years, but I can help with the Toyota trucks.

I'm not really aware of the 83 you mentioned, but I know there are quite a few 90s body styles out there. Lindberg did a 90s truck in 1/20 scale, and there were at least 3 different versions available. The first was a stock 4x4, and was later reissued with "Baywatch" markings and some added lifeguard gear. The other version was a phantom dually, which I think was also a 4x4, as it was more or less the stock truck kit with the added dually fenders and two extra tires. All of these versions had a stock Toyota V6 in them.

If you more interested in 1/25 scales, Aoshima made some as well, and if I remember correctly, at least three different versions as well. They made the Hilux European/Japanese 4 door type with a short bed, think something like a Ford Explorer Sport Trac or any of those other SUV wannabes with the little 4 foot bed. They also made a lowrider and a hi roller style, and the hi roller is the one I can give you the best info on, since it's in my collection. It comes with a lifted suspension and very nice Super Swamper mud tires, but it can be built as the stock truck as well. It includes all the needed pieces to build a stock truck except for tires, you'll have to find some stock sized tires. The only downfall compared to the larger 1/20 scale Lindberg kits is there is no engine, but otherwise very nicely detailed.

As for Tacomas, there are none that I know of, but it would be nice if someone would.

Edited by highway

To the best of my knowledge, there aren't any kits of the current generation Toyota Tacoma available here but one place to check would be Hobbylink Japan. They export kits from Japan and if there was a kit, that would be the best and first place to look.

The older Toyota pickup you seek (1983)was probably available in a snap fast kit and those pop up on Ebay from time to time. You can also check with some of the old kit sellers- Dean's Hobby Stop, Fred's Model World and JiminOhio as they might have that kit or could point you in the right direction.

The '64 Chevelle is not currently available in a kit from one of the manufacturers but there are a couple of options.

If you can find the Revell '65 kit (a nice kit by the way), then you can set about picking up the needed pieces to back date it to a '64. I don't remember exactly what the differences are between a '64 & '65, but The Modelhaus offers replacement grilles, bumpers, and other parts for a '64. Keep in mind that they are typically made for the promo models of that time so a little work may be needed to get them to fit the Revell kit.

Your other option would be to buy a complete '64 Chevelle resin kit from The Modelhaus. It goes for about $53 and has a molded closed hood, so you couldn't have an engine unless you wanted to cut the hood open and do some scratch building of an engine compartment. It also requires the '65 El Camino kit for the chassis so there again is another $10-$20 on top of the resin kit.

The Modelhaus product is among the best in the business and is often the one others are compared to ("That piece is on par with Modelhaus quality"). Don and Carol are some of the nicest people to do business with and can answer your questions on their product before you buy.

Hope this helps, let us know what you find.

WoW! What great response!!!! Thanks to everyone. The reason I was after the AMT 1981 snapfit (firetruck) is that my son just bought a 1981 PU that is red with the off road wheels & a rebuilt engine. We were thinking of doing a resto on this truck (it has a decent frame) & if I could find that kit I would do a little clone to get his juices flowing.

I have a 07 Tacoma & a 64 Chevelle convt. so I would like to do a couple for me too. I was a total model dweeb as a teenager & I pulled out a few recently & was pleasantly surprised to see they were not too bad. So maybe I could do a few to see if I still have the "knack".

I will check out the info you guys have provided & maybe I can get this going..... Again thanks to all who sent in leads- I needed help.

PS oh yah- while surfing around I discovered the 1/4 &1/6 engine kits. I haven't seen anything like this since the Visible V8. I guess I will have to build a display case too!