Model Cars Magazine Forum

1936 Ford Custom Roadster

Peter Lombardo

In between some of my more ambitious builds, I like to take on a few less stressful ones. This 1936 Ford Custom Roadster is just one of those kinds of builds.

Back in around 1995 I picked up an AMT 1936 Ford 5 window coupe for one of those “future buildsâ€. I had no idea what I was going to do with it. I like the basic look of the car and I really like the idea of a classic looking “period correct†build of it….the car sat in the box for years burred under boxes and boxes of other cars and got very little attention by me. About 8 years ago the roof from a Boyd’s Smoothster, that I used the engine, wheels and chassis in another build, found its way into the box and completely forgotten about, only to be discovered in there the other day.

I was completing the build of the 2 door runabout so I wanted to begin looking at something else to begin. I started moving around a few boxes and came upon the 1936 Ford 5 window coupe. I opened it up and started looking at the pieces in the box. For anyone not familiar with this kit, it is an older AMT tooling that comes with three building choices….stock, race or custom. One of the more interesting features of this kit is the way the roof is molded as a separate unit. That makes it very easy to visualize the car built as a roadster….which is what I must have thought early on because I put the Smoothsters roof in the box many years ago. I also liked the way the rumble seat was built into the trunk, but sadly, that did not fit into my plans so it was eliminated from the build. Another point with this kit that I really like is the type of styrene used in the molds. It is molded in rather soft gray plastic. I like the gray color for obvious reasons, but I love the soft styrene. I like to make many modifications and opening features on my builds and working a knife through that soft styrene is a real pleasure compared to some of the hard brittle stuff out there today. Sure, the molding is thick and a bit simple, but for a custom version, none of that is a problem.

The first thing I did was cut the windshield away from the top unit….then, because the front section of the top is interfaced with the sides of the car, I cut that area away. 5305224418_5b04006aea.jpg

Those sections were glued to the sides in the general area of where the doors are. Next, I glued the windshield area to the body and raked the windshield pillars back at a sharper angle to give the windshield a more modern look and in effect, lower the height of the windshield at the same time. The Smoothsters roof is lower and I wanted the windshield to match up height wise. I still need some modification to the leading edge, but that is no problem.

Next, I thought I would split the hood into two sections, left and right and hinge them so they would open up. 5304644137_e965d779e4.jpg I left the hood intact so that the distance and proportions would remain the correct width. 5304641563_d2ac58298a.jpg Next I cut out two square “holes†for the knuckle of each hinge in the center of the hood and super glued two dollhouse hinges to the underside of the hood. Once they had dried (a few days later) I carefully cut the two sections apart. I needed to make the center gap a little bigger than I wanted, but that is necessary to allow the hood to open enough to make me happy. Most of the gap will be filled up from the bottom later so the line will not be that noticeable.

After that, I looked at the headlights and thought I would mold them into the front fenders to give the car a more updated look. 5304630595_9d630ed9e9.jpg

Once I did that and added some putty it occurred to me that I thought they looked terrible. I was very unhappy with the look of the lights there on the fender. As I pondered the look of them over a glass of bourbon and soda, the idea of a set of Prowler headlights might just work out better. I have a donor Prowler kit that has given up its wheels, tires and a few other items, but still had it’s headlight components intact. 5304642375_26d6f876d5.jpg To quote that overweight chef….Emeril…..Bam! The Prowler headlights were just the kind of styling que I was looking for….sleek, modern and a perfect fit. 5305236814_4016fde962.jpg I pulled out the Dremel tool and grinded the stock headlights into powder and filled the holes with Bondo finished with a small amount of Tamiya putty. 5304631935_034c76b032.jpg

As I mentioned earlier, I liked the rumble seat, but it just wasn’t going to work on this build. I glued the seat lid to the trunk area and filled the cracks with more putty.

Next, I wanted to open the two doors, but I was not happy with the shape and size of them. I drew out the basic shape of the doors on the side and settled on a door that was about 1 and half the size of the original door. I placed the rear trailing edge of the door at the point on the car where the roof leading edge rests so there is an unbroken line down from the lower roof edge straight down to the door line…..it makes for a smooth transition. I rounded the lower edges for a more modern look and I angled the front line forward and curved it to loosely mimic the new angle of the racked back front windshield. 5305226212_997a87f482.jpg Once I cut out one door, using a three layer build up of tape to form a guide so I could make a straight cut, 5305236240_76f6aed977.jpg I traced the reverse of the door shape on the other side and drew on the lines so I could have two new door openings that matched one another. 5304640805_5c29309725.jpg

Once the doors were cut out, 5305235320_0377081f31.jpg I fabricated door hinges out of aluminum tubing and brass rods. I set the hinges on the rear side of the doors so that they now open in what is called “suicide†style. Take note of the hinges…. 5304643423_fc2eb840f2.jpg you can see how they are mounted in the reverse of the typical direction…. 5305237626_82824b450d.jpg.this way the doors open “in†where the leading edge turn inside the fender….not out over it….which is the more modern style.

Next, I opened up the trunk lid. I cut an opening following the contour line around the sides and bottom and added a free-hand top line which has a gentle curve across the top. 5305237242_f32a960269.jpg The lid is also hinged with a hinge made from aluminum tubing and brass rod. I use a slightly thicker super glue to glue the tubes in place….the thicker glue takes a little longer to dry, vs. the thin CA glue, but there is a much lower risk of glue getting carried into the tube via capillary action and screwing up everything. Once the glue is dry, I mix up a small batch of two part epoxy and smear that over the joint to make sure all will be secure. 5305237042_623f521260.jpg Once the trunk lid was complete, I cut a recess for the license plate in the lower section of the trunk. 5304644861_7e23bc73e9.jpg

5304645309_40544e9e00.jpg

My plan is to use an older Cadillac V8, from the Revell 1931 Ford Sedan kit, with a white metal 6, 2 barrel carb. set up on top. The suspension, as of right now is most likely coming from the AMT phantom Vicky kit added to a modified chassis from this kit. The wheels and tires are coming from the AMT Dodge Copperhead roadster curbside kit.

The paint scheme will be an almost complete rip off of the paint scheme used on the 2006 Ridler Award winning 1936 Ford Coupe called “First Loveâ€. This car was built by Troy Trapenier and it has a beautiful color scheme….so beautiful that I am not ashamed to rip it off for this car. 5305484136_9cf2de028c.jpg Basically, it has Cream side inserts and a Deep Gold Flip-Flop for the fenders and center upper body. I am planning to paint the top in a matching cream color, only flat, not glossy and I am planning, as of now, to use an older Mopar color for the gold areas called “Char-Gold†which is a flip-flop gold/charcoal color….which will be different, but in keeping with the “stolen†paint scheme coloring. The interior will be a nice soft cream with gold highlites…..dah.

That's very good start! I like those modifications, you have done to it. Roadster version is very nice, and it's sad that there are no roadster kits available. I have been thinking of building '37 Roadster, whith my friend... He have a great basis for the project. Those doors are very nicely done too, I didn't remember that Roadster has that kind of doors. Anyways, looking forward to see, what's coming in next update. Great work with it. :D

Peter, you have a very odd definition of less stressful build. :D

I'd be totally freaking out here. It looks awesome. I think the top, headlights, and the way everything works together are going to make this a head-turning build. I don't suppose you'd like to come vacation in San Diego right about the time of the NNL?

Peter, you have a very odd definition of less stressful build. ;)

I'd be totally freaking out here. It looks awesome. I think the top, headlights, and the way everything works together are going to make this a head-turning build. I don't suppose you'd like to come vacation in San Diego right about the time of the NNL?

Thanks Dave, and to everyone who has responded to this posting....I appreciate the positive comments.....now as to the San Diego comment....Dave, I would kill to be in San Diego....any time of the year. I spent the better part of 4 years in San Diego from 1968 to 1972 while in the Navy. My Navy friend, who was from New England kept trying to get me to stay out there in 1972....he said he would stay if I would stay.....in hindsight (I know...20/20), we/I should have stayed out there. San Diego was magnificent back then....still pretty good now (was out there a few years ago with the wife). The weather is wonderful, the scenery is wonderful, the golf is wonderful.....I could throw away the tops on my MG's if I lived out there. Well, enjoy it....I wish I could....maybe when I grow up I will get to spend more time out there.

My son-in-law was just offered a big job in LA....I keep pushing him to take the job because it is a great opportunity and it is sorthern California.....if he and my daughter (and grandson) moved out there, Grandma would have to move out there to be with her beloved grandson....therefore, grandpa (me) would have to move out there too.....LA is not that far from San Diego....I have my fingers crossed that he will take the job. :):):)

Hello there Mr. L' this is sure to turn heads lol! I started a project sometime ago that included parts from the prowler and the 41 plymouth! The tires supplied in the prowler kit are awesome! Keep on wit the keepin on! Will enjoy this so called less stress build up of yours!

peace

Tito