Model Cars Magazine Forum

1973 Porsche 911 Carrera RS Project!!!!

cruz

Okay guys, have to admit that the Rally type cars and sport are not one of my favorite subjects as Muscle Cars are but after seeing the box art on this kit, I just couldn't resist on finally starting it. It has been in my stash for almost 4, probably 5 years and finally I decided to do it. Of course, I am also a big Porsche fanatic, I just wanted to polish a bit more on my modelling skills before getting this one started.

1973PorscheRallyCar1025-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

As you can see, it's a gorgeous kit and what I truly and mostly like about it is the amount of delicate but beautiful parts it has, even though I spent quite a bit of time cleaning some of the mold lines and extra plastic left by the manufacturing process on some of the parts. :lol:

I did find quite a number of pictures in the internet of the real thing and will use them as reference as I go through the build. I just started on this kit and I am half way with the completion of the engine. I truly wish I could add more stuff to this already beautiful and well designed engine but, at the end, it will be pretty much hidden once installed in the kit.

I will just add some pictures instead of talking and boring you guys with the building process. You will see some photos of another, probably bigger scale engine that I found, it looks to be of a lot of help as potential reference material also. If you guys have any questions, please feel free to ask me anything, I will gladly answer any questions pertaining to the ongoing build.... :lol:

Real car......

1973porschecarrerarallycar11-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

1973porschecarrerarallycar20-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

Scale engine found for reference......

porscheengine10-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

porscheengine11-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

A bit of scratch building using Plastruct, Michael's Craft store findings and my mini-drills.....

1973PorscheRallyCar1001-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

1973PorscheRallyCar1006-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

1973PorscheRallyCar1008-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

Engine parts, block consists of 3 parts and transmission of 2....

1973PorscheRallyCar1009-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

Oh my. Marcos, I'm just going to throw my kit away now... I really look forward to seeing this one done.

Thanks for the tip on the elastic. I'll be picking some up. Great idea!

Keep updating and step by stepping for us. I'm going to "borrow" some of your creativity.

Chris

As I said, there is a million parts on this thing.....

1973PorscheRallyCar1011-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

This little engine looks so good when done it deserves to be displayed properly before finally installing it in the kit.... :lol:

1973PorscheRallyCar1014-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

It's gonna be kind of a dirty and grimy engine, after all it's a Rally Car... :lol: I think the washes will give it some character....

1973PorscheRallyCar2001-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

1973PorscheRallyCar2002-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

1973PorscheRallyCar2004-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

1973PorscheRallyCar2014-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

1973PorscheRallyCar2012-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

Dart got finished just less than one week ago, and now next project is on its way! Engine looksa very good so far and how fast you built it! I can't get that nice engine in that time (well, I can't get that nice engine never...). Weathering looks very good to me and detailing is very nice. I like these old rally cars, specially Group B rally cars were my favorites. My all time favorite rally car is Lancia S4 drove by Henri Toivonen & Sergio Cresto.

But anyways, your project looks very good to me, I'm watching this one. :angry:

This truly is a fantastic looking kit... The 73 Carrera RS is one that keeps eluding me, I will one day add one or three to my stash... One question about this one, can this kit be built as a stock RS or just a ralley version?

Thank you! This kit was meant to be built strictly Rally.......

Hey Marcos, this is looking great. I really like the engine detailing you are doing on this.....the washes make the engine jump up and come alive.....really nice. A few years ago my son gave me one of the Fujimi Porsche kits of a rally version too. I have a coupe versions of Fujimi Porsches from the "Enthusiast Series"......You are right, each one has at least 2 or 3 million parts in the box. They are great kits....and a bear to get right....looks like you are well on your way to making this one a real winner. I be watching...... :)

There is a standard RS kit from Fujimi.

It also seems the smaller the car the more parts.

The little tiny Ferrari Dino EM kit has 252 parts.

Very similar to the 85 Carrera I am building now, which I have cut up into 2 million parts.

I have finished a couple of the Fujimi 911 kits and the biggest drawback is that the unibody assembly is a little bit tall assembled but that should not be a problem with a raised suspension rally car. I don't know if that car used FI or carbs but if you want to use the correct carbs they can found in the Revell 911, Carrera, and 914 kits. Fujimi just gave us fuel injection for everything even if it didn't have it originally!

The Fujimi 911s have some issues despite them looking so good un-assembled!~ :( With a bit of knowledge and finesse they can become quite good models.

I have finished a couple of the Fujimi 911 kits and the biggest drawback is that the unibody assembly is a little bit tall assembled but that should not be a problem with a raised suspension rally car. I don't know if that car used FI or carbs but if you want to use the correct carbs they can found in the Revell 911, Carrera, and 914 kits. Fujimi just gave us fuel injection for everything even if it didn't have it originally!

The Fujimi 911s have some issues despite them looking so good un-assembled!~ :( With a bit of knowledge and finesse they can become quite good models.

I think the other part of the problem with suspension hight is they always put the low profile tires, which they didn't typically run. So, yes, the floor is sitting on the ground and it's still not low enough to look right. Taller tires would help some I think.

I think the other part of the problem with suspension hight is they always put the low profile tires, which they didn't typically run. So, yes, the floor is sitting on the ground and it's still not low enough to look right. Taller tires would help some I think.

I did a Carrera and the torsion bars were practically on the ground! What I have done is actually section parts of the tub so the front suspension will tuck under better. I am thinking of producing a resin tub for the Fujimis so they can be built a lot easier. There are a lot of gaps and missing sheetmetal all over when the kit pieces are assembled. The pre-crash bumper cars had two batteries in the nose which Fujimi neglected to represent. There is a lot that can be done to improve these kits. They definitely fall into the "Looks better in the box" category of kits. :(

I was looking to install better looking carbs with lots more detail but at the end, the filter part will cover all of that, I guess I will do my homework next time and get the correct ones, I have another 3 Fujimi Enthusiast kits in my stash and will probably display a future one with the engine on the outside.... ;)

In the meantime, I just finished the transmission and bottom part of the engine, still needs a few more little things but I will photograph them later when I place it on the engine stand....

1973PorscheRallyCar3009-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

1973PorscheRallyCar3006-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

1973PorscheRallyCar3019-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

1973PorscheRallyCar3018-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

1973PorscheRallyCar3005-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

I did a Carrera and the torsion bars were practically on the ground! What I have done is actually section parts of the tub so the front suspension will tuck under better. I am thinking of producing a resin tub for the Fujimis so they can be built a lot easier. There are a lot of gaps and missing sheetmetal all over when the kit pieces are assembled. The pre-crash bumper cars had two batteries in the nose which Fujimi neglected to represent. There is a lot that can be done to improve these kits. They definitely fall into the "Looks better in the box" category of kits. :)

I have been working on a tub corrected a bunch of that missing sheet metal, and opened the doors, and the sun roof. I haven't quite figured out the suspension yet.

Cruz, as usual, you are doing a terrific job on this model, I too have heard of the challenges these Fujimi Enthusiast kits can have, it's good to see a builder of your talent attacking a project like this. Can you elaborate more on the weathering method that you use? What do you use as far as washes and overall techniques?

Cruz, as usual, you are doing a terrific job on this model, I too have heard of the challenges these Fujimi Enthusiast kits can have, it's good to see a builder of your talent attacking a project like this. Can you elaborate more on the weathering method that you use? What do you use as far as washes and overall techniques?

Thanks Kevin! There are 2 products out in the market that I use for slight weathering. It's a pretty simple process, I don't consider myself to be a professional when it comes to weathering but I have learned some basics that have helped me along the way.

What I did was purchase a wash that is sold at the Games Workshop stores, these are the strategy fantasy gaming stores that sell those little Warhammer figures. They have an assortment of little things that are pretty useful to us modellers if you take a closer look when visiting one of these stores.

I like to buy their washes, they come in a variety of colors but I always choose the Badab Black wash.

1973PorscheRallyCar3004-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

After painting the engine with Testor's Metallizer paints, I liberally apply the wash to the whole engine with a small brush. The wash settles in the low spots and ultimately gives the engine a more dimensional and detailed look. Don't be shy when applying it, it is very thin. After this step I apply a product sold at Michael's called Rub 'n Buff. It is a pastelike metallic finish that also comes in various shades, in this case, Silver Leaf. A small dab on the finger goes a very long way so you have to use it sparingly. What I like to do, after placing a small amount on my index finger is rub off some of it on my other hand, this way it's easier to monitor the amount to be applied on the part.

1973PorscheRallyCar3002-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

Ultimately, by doing this, you will be highlighting the raised or high spots on the part, this will give it a nice contrast against the previously applied wash.