Model Cars Magazine Forum

A.I.R. Pumps?

Is it the same as a smog pump?

I've searched Google and all I get are plain old "air pumps".

Thanks, Andy

Yep, they're the same thing, an emissions device used on gasoline automobile engines in the 80s. Do you intend to model one, or need to replace on on your car?

On the older cars they were engine (belt driven) to inject air into the exhaust to help lean burn hydrocarbons or unburned gasses and to help the catalyst. In the modern cars they are usually electric pumps that mainly work on cold start up, to inject air into the exhaust before the catalytic convertor and help bring the cat to operating temperature quicker.

Their secondary purpose is to collect moisture, make noise, and cost you money :)

On the older cars they were engine (belt driven) to inject air into the exhaust to help lean burn hydrocarbons or unburned gasses and to help the catalyst. In the modern cars they are usually electric pumps that mainly work on cold start up, to inject air into the exhaust before the catalytic convertor and help bring the cat to operating temperature quicker.

Their secondary purpose is to collect moisture, make noise, and cost you money :D

Rick...you are absolutely correct on all points including the last line. While maybe meant toungue in cheek, they are actually true!...especially the moisture part. Can't tell you how many problems those things caused for us at the repair garage because of water collected in them! :D