Model Cars Magazine Forum

tonights episode of 2 and a half man

todays episode opens with a shot of allen sitting on the kitchen table singing the song "cars" to himself while building the revell 78 firebird :P

throughout the episode there are refferences back to model car (the general lee, the transam from smokey and the bandit) and why this shows how hopeless the guy is

my favorite line so far

"you're asking my WHY a 40 year old man shouldnt talk about model cars on a first date"

That's actually an old rerun... but then again, how many prime-time shows feature model car building? ;)

you ever hear the saying "if i havent seen it it's new to me"

come to think of it, we had a thread once with all the models shown on TV

my favorite is still the episode of the simpsons where nelson makes a model of the family sitting on the couch

put it together, paints it, puts an M80 in it and blew it up :P

Yeah I have seen that episode too. Doesn't paint modelers in a very "adult" light does it?

Incidentally, the 1953 movie "Nigara" clearly displays one of the characters at least twice, assembling a Highway Pioneers model car. At one point during a heated and angry fight with his wife (Marilyn Monroe), Joseph Cotten throws the nearly completed model against the wall smashing it.

Good movie and holds up well even today as a thriller.

mr destiny; jim belushi's character builds models of cars he loves and when his "destiny" changes, he actually owns the real cars, but laments that he can't "pick them up and look at them" like his models....

it's a shame that we get stereotyped as Ted Kazinski wannabes because of a misunderstood hobby.

in a lighter vein; isn't Jamie on Mythbusters a master model builder for special effects? so THERE. lol.

Wasen't there a commercial for a tire brand recently, that had a guy in a ship building a model car ? He was building it while the ship was going threw a storm and the idea for the commercial was that even the tires on the model car could stick to the surface while he was building it. I'll try and find the commercial on youtube.

i remember that commercial too, could have been for Firestone? was a late 60's Corvette on a table in a fishing boat or something like that.

Since kit manufacturers refuse to pay tire company licensing fees, the model couldn't have had Firestone tires... :DB)

in a lighter vein; isn't Jamie on Mythbusters a master model builder for special effects? so THERE. lol.

Also, don't forget they have used many models in the small scale tests. The few that come to mind off the top of my head is an Italeri truck and trailer and Monogram's 87 T-Bird for the drafting trucks saves you gas myth, a Revell of Gemany Container ship for an ocean whirlpool myth, and various diecasts and R/C cars for many of the other auto related myths.

Wasen't there a commercial for a tire brand recently, that had a guy in a ship building a model car ? He was building it while the ship was going threw a storm and the idea for the commercial was that even the tires on the model car could stick to the surface while he was building it. I'll try and find the commercial on youtube.

i remember that commercial too, could have been for Firestone? was a late 60's Corvette on a table in a fishing boat or something like that.

I was a Firestone commercial, and the late 60s/early 70s Corvette had Firstone Wide Oval tires on it.

Since kit manufacturers refuse to pay tire company licensing fees, the model couldn't have had Firestone tires... :angry::unsure:

They must have stole them from an earlier issue when we actually had tire lettering in kits! B):D

I'm surprized no one has mentioned one of the most obvious TV shows related to model building, James May's "Toy Stories". One entire episode focused on Airfix, and they built a 1:1 scale Airfix Spitfire.

Several years ago. I want to say the 80's there was a 30 minute TV show devoted intirely to model building. I believe it was called something like Scale Modeling or something like that. Some of the older guys might remember it. I think it went the standard 13 week run and then it was gone. I think it was national because I was receiving it in Oregon.... I think? B)

38 Crush

Since kit manufacturers refuse to pay tire company licensing fees, the model couldn't have had Firestone tires... B)B)

Perhaps AMT or Revell, whoever made that kit, should have charged Firestone royalties or worked out a swap.

Oh wait....that would be beneficial to the hobby. Nevermind.

Charlie Larkin

That likely was "Adventures In Scale Modeling" ran on PBS channels in the 80's & 90's.

:D

Yep, That was it! Wonder what ever happened to that? For a first time show it wasn't THAT bad. I remember just waiting for that to come on. I was really excited. Man those were the days! :D

38 Crush

Then you have movies like the "Butter fly effect" that paint (no pun intended) modlers as crazy phycos who live at home with they're parents and sniff paint and glue all day because they are not fit for anything else... I didnt care for that part of the movie very much.

I remember that. I also remember a Drew Carey episode in which he was going off the deep end after a break-up and his buddies were trying to coax him out of his place where he had been holed up for days building model airplanes.

The funniest was an episode of Law&Order where Vincent D'onofrio found a tiny chrome rear view mirror off a model car in some carpet and linked the murder of an old man to his demented son who obsessed on exotic sports cars and had a hangar full of 1:1 domestic & foreign cars hidden away.

According to Hollywood grown men who build Models are mental cases.

Edited by styromaniac