Model Cars Magazine Forum

Monogram 1932 Ford sport coupe

Paul Payne

I bought this one on line a while back. The front axle was broken and it was missing one hairpin radius rod. The build was clean original, and the builder must have used every decal on the sheet. The seller also included a very good repro box- love the old style Monogram artwork.

DSCN0019.jpg

DSCN0018.jpg

DSCN0017.jpg

Edited by Paul Payne

Was that originally molded in red? Looks like it. I just have to say that it's important to at least add color or primer to the insides of a body to give it more weight and depth, and at least to polish bare plastic. It just looks like a toy without a lot of effort put into it.

I now await my crucifixion for not giving an attaboy.

Edited by sjordan2

sjordan2, no crucifixion required! If the model had not been a decent build and had not had all the original decals applied, I probably would have disassembled it and painted it. However, I liked the idea of preserving a period build and only doing the repair work. Back in the day (and I go back that far), it was pretty common to not paint kits that were molded in color- often you could barely afford the kit, never mind paint as well!

• 3 years later...

Good looking model. It's nice to see clean older builds restored, and I certainly understand your reluctance to disassemble a nicely-done one.

I don't have a complete one of these, but the parts I have seem to be in an odd scale, somewhat larger than 1/24. Do you have any insight on that particular quirk?

Great work on the rebuild. You're lucky to find one that was as complete as it was. More often than not the front axles are broken and can be a tough repair. Good job fabricating the hairpin.

Good call leaving it bare plastic!

This kit, in both motorized form and static version, appears in the Monogram catalog leaflet in an early 1964 1/48th Hawker Hurricane kit in my collection. However, from what I recall, this kit was a rare sight on store shelves by that time. I don't remember any of my model-building buddies having one back then in spite of the relatively long time it was available. At $1.98 for the non-motorized version and $2.98 for one with the electric motor this was a rather pricey kit. It's gone from the catalog leaflet in an early '65 kit on my shelf.

I believe its close to the Sizzler dragster, another Monogram release, in scale. larger than 1/24 scale. in fact now that I think about it, the blown hemi from the Sizzler would make a nice transplant.

Very nice restore/save of that one and I like all the decals.

jb

Edited by jbwelda