Model Cars Magazine Forum

Li'l Merrod

Modellpularn

Change of plans! I've been thinking about this headlight idea, and it dawned on me that the quad lights will be too clunky. With boxes around them... :D So I decided to use '37 Chevy pods instead. They have a nice pointed taper, like the roll pan/taillight. Headlight rings were swiped from a junker '53 Stude. They have a slight visor shape on top that I like. They are now glued to the Chevy pods. I feel satisfied with this setup. Now the grille needs to be positioned, and sides built, then install the headlights. After some sanding and shaping. New excitement! ;) Pics will come.... Now it's night night time for me.

Slight update: I've assembled a front end; hood, grille and hood sides from a '33-'34 Ford. I need to slit the glue joint between the hood and sides, and lift it at the back to get a more aggressive lean to the grille. Then add some plastic to the bottom. And the '37 Chevy pods. This will be my new front piece. But the grille won't stay stock.... :D You'll get pics tomorrow.

Edited by Modellpularn

You won't believe it, I have a progress pic to show!! Got some inspiration in the morning hours. Even if it looks Mickey Mouse right now, I have a game plan.... :angry: The angle of the grille now matches the body. I'll let this dry until tonight - my time, then add some more plastic pieces. I'll only be using the first half inch from the grille backwards. The rest will be junked. Bear with me, and you'll see a cool thing evolve.

IMG_4791.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Small update, I've shortened the grille surround even more, and shaped the top to match the grille beak. Hogged out the opening, and now finally glued the headlight pods in place. Also found a nifty scoop for the blower. Ties in with the oval shapes.... B) Sorry for the slightly fuzzy pic.

IMG_4797.jpg

Just some final sanding left, then some primer and paint. Any bright ideas what to use in the grille opening....??? Maybe I'll come up with something in California.... :D

This is definately the best grille so far!

Thanks! I'm quite pleased myself. I'll have some paint on it by later tonight.

-Terror, the tilt is accidental. It will have the old style five spoke wheels with whitewalls. This was just for fun.... B)

Edited by Modellpularn

You acared me with those big wheels! Im glad youre not using them. I really like this build!! I would agree with Terry, a bit too much tilt on he nose. Not to be nitpicking, but this is turning out so nice, just trying to give some positive feedback!

You scared me with those big wheels! Im glad you're not using them. I really like this build!! I would agree with Terry, a bit too much tilt on he nose. Not to be nitpicking, but this is turning out so nice, just trying to give some positive feedback!

The front end is just resting between the frame rails. No worries mate..... ;) Are you going to the NNL West? The plan is to bring this one with me over to So-Cal next Monday. And show it there.

Paint problem solved! Did some fine sanding, and resprayed the front. Now it looks good, just needs some clear, as does the body. I'm in the process of sectioning a set of headers.... :D They are from AMT's 60's double kit '32 Ford sedan custom/'40 Willys coupe. The deuce has a really cool set of headers that I planned to use from the start. But they are made for a Buick engine, and doesn't quite fit the Hemi. One side is nearly done, I'm fiddling with the other. Must be crazy..... :P

Ok, I guess you're waiting for pics.... My camera and computer were not compatible yesterday!! I have one for ya. Here's the painted front end, and the headers. In the back is the "stock" header. Made to fit the Buick. The Hemi has evenly spaced exhaust ports, so I had to take care of the problem. In the middle is the second header, in progress. I made a little jig, to space the pipes. At the bottom is a finished piece. Well, almost.... needs a bit of fine sanding. But wait, I'm not done yet. I have to make flanges, and "mate" these to the engine. I've glued the Li'l Coffin headers to the engine. Now I have to figure out where to cut both sets of headers, and then glue 'em together.... This should be fun :lol::lol: Later guys, it's night night time for me!

IMG_4802.jpg

Are you going to the NNL West? The plan is to bring this one with me over to So-Cal next Monday. And show it there.

I'm hoping to go! It's less than an half hour away, but I've got some health issues I'm dealing with. It would be great to meet you and the rest of the guys!

Wow, four hours left until my boss comes to pick me up, and take me to the airport!! I still have to shoot some clear on all the body parts.... :D Painted the new blower scoop a couple hours ago. I'll see some of you guys at the NNL West!

Edited by Modellpularn

• 3 weeks later...