Model Cars Magazine Forum

Painting??

I was wondering where I should put my bodies to cure after I am dome painting them. Someone told me ONLY to put them in a metal cabinet. Is that true?? Also I just got a airbrush and a spay booth and I was going to setup in my garage for painting. Will I have a problem painting in my garage with NO heat?? Thanks guys far all your help!!!!

I was wondering where I should put my bodies to cure after I am dome painting them. Someone told me ONLY to put them in a metal cabinet. Is that true?? Also I just got a airbrush and a spay booth and I was going to setup in my garage for painting. Will I have a problem painting in my garage with NO heat?? Thanks guys far all your help!!!!

Depends on what you are using for paint.

Enamel yes, it takes a long time to cure ~ weeks

Lacquers not as long.

Acrylics a few days.

Catalist paints ie epoxy paint and some base clears as soon as they are dry they are pretty much cured - in as little as a few hours a day or two tops.

I am sure whoever said a metal cabinet was because, especailly with Enamel and Lacquers they will give off flamable gasses while the cure.

How cold is it in your garage. Somewhere around 75 degrees is min for painting and curing. You start getting much colder and it really slows down the process and paint doesn't flow as well.

I like to let things cure for at least a week (I use Dupli- Color primarily). The longer you wait, the better the polishing. There are factors, no matter what paint. Weather, humidity, temperature are the determining factors. One of these days, I'll score a food processor.

Tony ,

The enamel will flash out in a few days when cut with the laquer thinner . The reason for the metal cabinet is to avoid creating an electro static charge and pulling dirt towards the painted body when opening the doors . As for temperature .... Ideal temps are 68 to 72 degrees with low humidity .

Being that you are in good ol Mass , you are either going to have to heat the garage with a propane heater or prep a bunch of kits and wait for the spring / early summer to begin painting. Unless they've improved the design , I would avoid using a kerosene heater as it will put oil into the atmosphere and cause fish eyes in the paint .

Donn Yost

Tony,

Donn is a good source of info and he is right on with his advice- propane heater, keep the paint away from the flame and let the garage warm up a bit before you head out to paint.

Marc brings up a good point- if you can somehow manage to set up your airbrush and paint booth inside the house and have a stable environment (consistent temp and humidity), you will be able to paint every day!

I have yet to convince the wife to let me use the guest bedroom as a paint shop so I am relegated to the garage and a propane heater!