Model Cars Magazine Forum

Golden T Streetrod 1/8

And another project Whatthe.gif

On februari 4th, there is going to be a local 24hour build. I thought it would be nice for a change to do something like that and I wanted to complete a project within those 24 hours. I decided failry quick not to do a 1/24 scale model, it might be a bit too simple and I don't want to get bored. So, decided it was going to be a bigger scale, 1/16 was not that special either and I am still working on one, 1/12 is too expensive for a quickie and when I was reading through an old catalogue from Monogram, I knew it; It was going to be the Golden T. I had one laying around, it has a low parts count and it shows a lot of detail, perfect.

Ofcourse you can't build a decent 1/8 model within 24 hours, so I am going to take a different approach; I am taking a head start and prepare and paint all the parts. So at the build I can focus on building and detailling.

I will not build with utmost detail, stay close to boxstandard, but I will take the chance to also add a few personal touches and stretch my limits.

Pictures;

boxart:

goldent001.jpg

I didn't like the wheels, I have seen worse wirewheels, but these were not the best. So, taking a huge leap; I decided to make my own. I've never done something similar and the only knowledge I had was somebody who made his own wirewheels with fishing-wire.

I was going to use metal-wire, so I just tought and started preparing, making tools. Hoping I would succeed

goldent007.jpg

This is going to be the new axle

goldent008.jpg

I will re-use the inner-hub, just needs cleaning up

goldent010.jpg

And looks like this:

goldent011.jpg

The outerside hub was useless, so I made a new one

goldent017.jpg

And assembled together; this is going to be the new axle

goldent018.jpg

Meanwhile, I dumped all the golden parts in a plastic container and let them drown in oven-cleaner.

goldent019.jpg

goldent020.jpg

Edited by The Creative Explorer

Of course you can't build a decent 1/8 model within 24 hours, so I am going to take a different approach; I am taking a head start and prepare and paint all the parts. So at the build I can focus on building and detailling.

But doesn't that go against the whole point of a "24 hour build?" :angry:

Hehe thanks guys.

I am not dissatisfied with the wheels, for a first time making my own wirewheels, I think I didn't do all that bad.

@Harry; No, I don't think I do. There are no rules for the 24 hour build, other than we will build together for 24 hours. So what one do with the 24 hours is up to them. I choose to build a complete model within the 24 hours and I am mostlikely to be the only car-builder. And to be interesting to visitors and viewers, I want to build and detail. For viewers the most interesting parts of modelling.

Sanding, sanding and sanding is just boring to watch haha.

@Rodney, you're right, I remember that. Aren't you on the 4th celebrating?

Small update, most work is quite boring, sanding, sanding and sanding. But things are progressing and I think it is fair to say I can finish up before the 4th, I would've never tought I could build a bigscale in just a few weeks time.

These are all the parts that were goldplated, looks a lot better this way

goldent032.jpg

I laid them on my cleaned out desk and you can see there were a lot of parts plated.

goldent033.jpg

One last comparisation with the old and the new wheel

goldent034.jpg

I glued the firewall to the tub and will smoothen the seem, I also will sand off the bulge on the top part of the tub

goldent035.jpg

The frame will be completely boxed

goldent036.jpg

And I started to detail the carburetor, I think it is one of the better looking ones I've seen in 1/8 scale

goldent037.jpg

Working on the tub

goldent038.jpg

And made a mock-up, just to see the whole picture of the car, so I can let my creative part work on colors and paintjob

goldent039.jpg

goldent040.jpg

goldent041.jpg

Hehe thanks guys.

@Rodney, you're right, I remember that. Aren't you on the 4th celebrating?

O Yes, I'll be Celebrating really good at a down town club for my Annual B-day and trying

to stimulate the Economy at the same time. :D

That much Gold chrome never does look that good.

Gonna Alclad all of it?

Carb still looks like a Blob, can't wait to see the added Details.

Edited by Zukiholic

Time for the first setback, I have not used spraycans for a very good reason; they are difficult to stick to the plastic. No matter what, there is a fragile line between good or bad.

I swore off the spraycans long time ago, and went onto the airbrush to much satisfaction.

Because of the size, I went for spraycans again. I had them laying around and I thought; why not.

I know now why not, I am not going to explain everything, but let the pictures do the talking

goldent042.jpg

goldent043.jpg

goldent044.jpg

goldent045.jpg

goldent046.jpg

goldent047.jpg

goldent048.jpg

goldent049.jpg

goldent050.jpg

goldent051.jpg

Edited by The Creative Explorer

Yesterday and today I worked hard on getting the car back in primer and giving it's color. I think it turned out pretty well after the first disaster. I chose this time to go for the airbrush and when I looked through my colors, this color appeared to me rather well.

I shot the car in primer and then in Green pearl, but since you all know me; I can't do standard paintjobs. I had an idea, I wanted to do the puzzlepieces again, since I thought they were a nice alternative to the often used checkerboard. But instead of using hard colors, like I did before, I wanted to ghost and make it very subtle, so that you had to look twice to see it. Next to that, I also wanted to do some mild ghost-flames.

After I did the puzzlepieces, I started making the flames and used flat white paint for that, After I was satisfied, I got the green paint back and since it is semi-opaque, I shot a few layers till it basically disappeared. And I was happy with the result.

I used the same style for the front radiator, that I painted in the evening

goldent054.jpg

goldent055.jpg

goldent056.jpg

goldent057.jpg

goldent058.jpg

goldent059.jpg

goldent060.jpg

goldent061.jpg

goldent062.jpg

goldent063.jpg

Thanks guys. The ghostflames and puzzlepieces have not been seen before and therefore questionable where they fit together, I think they can. Both are ghosted and the puzzlepieces is a nice break from the checkerboard. I think when the clearcoat comes on, it will have a nice effect to it.

As you could see and read in the previous posts, the car had been primer before the accident, so that was not the problem.

I've been working hard in the weekend in between my scheduled responsibilities to get all the panelwork in color, I had to do the frame and the bed with latch.

For the frame I had the idea to implement the project name; Granny T. When I was spraying the car, it had the same color and sheen as the Granny Smith apples, therefore Granny T was quickly born haha.

goldent068.jpg

goldent069.jpg

goldent070.jpg

goldent071.jpg

goldent072.jpg

goldent073.jpg

goldent074.jpg

goldent075.jpg

goldent076.jpg

thats looking real nice and i dig those ghost flames. one thing i really hate about these models are the coach lamps...i suspect you are ditching them because you seem to have cut off the hangers on the cowl. good on ya. for rear lights on a big tub i built i found some red plastic jewels and made some hangers for them...looked pretty good in my estimation, much better than the coach lamps.

rearwidefromaboveyt6.gif

Thanks guys,

Yes, I omited the lanterns, I had no idea why I would want to use them, since they don't look all that good anyway. What I am going to do with the rear light is still unknown, I do like your idea, maybe I will put that in work. But only on one side and not hanging.

I think this will be the last update, most of the parts are now in color and each part is being single bagged.

I also improved the radiator, it looked quite simple and I made a shroud and used some mesh for it.

I started with adding some styreen to the both radiator plates, so it would add strength

goldent080.jpg

Then on the top

goldent081.jpg

I removed the radiatormesh part one side at a time, to keep the measurements correct.

goldent082.jpg

I used styrene strips for strength and length

goldent083.jpg

Both sides have been cut off

goldent084.jpg

In the meanwhile I worked on the rocker-cover

goldent085.jpg

By spraying them in gun-metal, added BMF and filled the slots with red.

goldent086.jpg

Some perseverence needed for glueing the mesh to the radiator

goldent087.jpg

Testfit in the shroud

goldent088.jpg

Backside

goldent089.jpg

I haven't been able to make the final photo's, but I do have some of the last in progress pictures.

The shocks were little convincing, so I decided to make my own

goldent096.jpg

I made a little device, to help me make consistent shocks

goldent097.jpg

They fit snug, so every shock will have the same size.

goldent098.jpg

The wheels after a last brainwave, I decided to give the wheels a redline trim

goldent099.jpg

I think they look so much better with it.

goldent100.jpg

One finished shock and one of the old ones compared

goldent101.jpg

I start with the toppart of the shock in the mold

goldent102.jpg

Then I glue the lower tube to the lower part of the shock

goldent103.jpg

Put the coils around it

goldent104.jpg

And shuf the uppertube in it, without glueing.

goldent105.jpg