Model Cars Magazine Forum

55 Corvette Review

Duntov

Just working on this kit now. Debating between replicating #16 (150 MPH Daytona Beach land speed record-white/black) or #55 (Watkins Glen Vintage Grand Prix-yellow/black). Hard to find detailed pictures of either. And Duntov, love the nickname! My guess is you are a classic Corvette racer/GM engineer fan?

Tim

Thanks Tim.... yes Duntov denotes that I am a major Corvette "SICK-O"..... a real 66 big block coupe in the garage and too many 1/25 th cars in boxes and on the shelf!!!!!

Hey he could be a ARDUN head flattie fan too as he did those before the Vette!! :P

Thanks for the review I have been debating getting this kit also but being of the Blue Oval persuesion makes it difficult at times :P

Nice!

Thanks Tim.... yes Duntov denotes that I am a major Corvette "SICK-O"..... a real 66 big block coupe in the garage and too many 1/25 th cars in boxes and on the shelf!!!!!

And thanks for that bit of info! Never knew that!

Hey he could be a ARDUN head flattie fan too as he did those before the Vette!! :P

Thanks for the review I have been debating getting this kit also but being of the Blue Oval persuesion makes it difficult at times :P

To add to the review, the problem I found with this cast (but may also be a problem w/the original) are all the little cast pins throughout. For example, on the top side of the rear springs and front lower A-arm assembly, just to name a few locations. I think I remember a few on the intake manifold too.

Tim

ejection pin marks are pretty prominent on this era kit; they had lots of them and some flash when they were new. i've never been a great fan of the wheel retainer design on these, but it did make it easier to alter ride height either by flipping the spindle or cutting it apart and moving the pin. if i recall, these were among the first AMT kits to have separate interior sides, which made detail painting so much easier...

dangnabbit. another kit i have to re-buy now.

I might have to pick up another one or 2 of this one also. There's another vintage racer that I'd love to build and something mild 60s hot rod I'd like to try. Now that I know what to look out for when building this kit, it won't be as much tinkering.

Tim

I built the box art car for the '53 (same tool) in the 3 car set back in the 1990's, and I can vouch for the ride height issue. However, I will say that the SAE article Larry Greenberg speaks of is incorrect. I believe Bill Coulter wrote it, and he felt that side trim was running uphill. Bill suggested taking a pie-cut out of the body to 'correct' this. The fact is, on the 1 : 1 car, the rockers run downhill, so if the body was sitting on the ground, it would give an uphill appearance. So I would leave the body be, and concentrate on the ride height. I believe I corrected this on the box art car by flipping the spindles over in front, and trimming the springs in back. And yes, the divider between the seats came off sometime between delivery and photography.

IMG_8972rt-vi.jpg