Model Cars Magazine Forum

My Favorite Resin Casters

92wagon-vi.jpg

50cadred4-vi.jpg

Modelhaus '92 Chevy Caprice wagon and '50 Cadillac Coupe DeVille (I must have 20-25 of Don's kits)

59olds98-vi.jpg

61car54-vi.jpg

Promolite '59 Oldsmobile 98 hardtop and '61 Plymouth Savoy (no longer available)--Quality here is at LEAST as good as Modelhaus

mercurytbody-vi.jpg

Aardvark/Modelmartin--This is Andy's '25 T Speedster body. I've been an Andy fan for 25 years.

56fordsedan-vi.jpg

Hendrix '56 Ford Mainline sedan. Ron does some really cool '50s stuff.

78fourdoor-vi.jpg

Missing Link '78 Ford Custom 500 sedan. I have a half dozen of ML's kits and they're ALL good.

chpmustang-vi.jpg

Reliable Resin Mustang LX. Some really unique stuff, and wonderful drag racing parts.

deathmobile2-vi.jpg

Jimmy Flintstone Animal House "Deathmobile"

There are a bunch with whom I've had really good luck. Besides the ones above are:

Bandit Resins '72 Ford Torino coupe (not the fastback) and a gorgeous '70 Mustang Grande

Model Factory Hiro '55 Porsche 550 (James Dean's "Little Bastard")

Profil 24 vintage Porsches

Fisher Pattern & Model vintage race cars--Ferraris, Porsches, the Cunningham C4R

Perry's Resin '80? Chevy Malibu wagon (really nice casting)

Replicas & Miniatures Co. of Maryland (LOTS of little detail and conversion parts, and excellent service)

Model Car World resin conversions--more really unique conversion kits

Lance Sellers does neat Indy race car kits

These aren't in any particular order. They're all consistently good quality. Service varies but most are four to six weeks (most parts are cast to order). Some are quicker than that.

I have some others but they appear to be out of business. It's one of those "if you like it, GET it now" situations. They come and go.

Terry

I've been collecting All American Models resin kits lately. I had not yet returned to the hobby when Art was cranking these out. I have been able to acquire the following:

• 1955 Chevy Panel Truck
  • 1957 Chevy Black Widow
  • 1966 Chevelle SS396 ht
  • 1966 GTO ht
  • 1967 Mercury Cyclone ht
  • 1968 Mustang GT fastback
  • 1969 Camaro SS ht

They are neat as collector items and, like everything else I own, hopefully will get built someday.

Nice lot!!!

Motor City Resin Casters does the '72 Torino coupe BTW.

Oops! I said that, then changed it. And I'm sitting here looking at the box, too.

By the way, I hear they're doing a '75 Torino, too. Quality on the '72 I have is first rate. The castings are really clean, with no pinholes or other issues. The conversion is very well done, too.

Terry

Don't forget Ed Fluck who is filling in his late father's shoes: F&F Resin.

Ed, under Drag City Casting.

Ed's work is getting better and better every time I see a piece from him.

Marc, I started snatching up some of Art's kits as well. Just got the 59 Limo and the Blazer S-10

I think I have a few more laying hidden in storage

QuikSkins does some great ones as well, for the racing fans.

Personally, I love the Model Factory Hiro and the Studio 27 kits.

Terry, thanks for all your support over the years.

I really do appreciate it.

Hope to see you at GSL in a few months.

The days of haveing to put up with TKM junk is GONE!!!! IF someone buys bad resin kits, It's the CASTERS fault now. Because almost ALL the casters are useing new formula resins, and the castings are MUCH better for it! I purchase ALOT of resin kits caz I'm tired of the normal run of plastic kits.Motor City, Missink Link, are some of the NEWER guys on the block, and THEIR castings are JUST as high a quality as ANY of the BETTER casters! Modelhaus included! Bandit Resin's is a GREAT caster also, as is the guy at MCW paints. I've bought from Perry's resins too, GREAT STUFF only he takes up tp SIX months to get you your stuff, EVEN THOUGH, he tells ya it's in stock when you call and ask him if it AVAILABLE!!!

The old stuff from places like R&R ARE doable but NOT without ALOT of work, but sometimes ol Ray is the only game in town. he DOES do some off the wall stuff. I've never bought from Hendricks, but his stuff LOOKS good. Dealt ALOT with Steve Kohler over at Star Models. HE'LL do ya RIGHT! He'll even TELL ya if the kits worth buyin!!!! Steve is REALLY a COOL down to Earth guy. If you see something on HIS list, just call him, he'll give ya the REAL deal on what it's like. AND he's honest!!!!:DB):D

I agree on Missing link being right up there at the top. I have the 78 Ford Sedan along with a at least have dozen others. Here's the M-L 75-76 Fury I'm just starting on.

Picture009-vi.jpg

Picture006-vi.jpg

The body is practically kit quality. If it wasn't for some mold release I'd swear it was made from styrene.

-Steve

I agree on Missing link being right up there at the top. I have the 78 Ford Sedan along with a at least have dozen others. Here's the M-L 75-76 Fury I'm just starting on.

Picture009-vi.jpg

Picture006-vi.jpg

The body is practically kit quality. If it wasn't for some mold release I'd swear it was made from styrene.

-Steve

I like THAT!!! How did they modify the nose to fit the headlights? Did they change the nose itself, or the headlight parts? Looks really good.

Terry

• 2 weeks later...

Reliable Resin. Some really unique stuff, and wonderful drag racing parts.

Of course you are your favorite resin caster!!! :(B):lol:

My favorite resin caster, although now defunct, is Scalekraft from South Africa. Guido did some great subjects and the quality of the body castings was very good. I got all of his Minis and two Phantom Corsairs! I also have all of his Abarths and one Duesenberg - I need to get some of the others now.

Close behind in highly favored status is Replicas and Miniatures. Norm has the highest quality in the business. He is a step above all of the others in my book.

Almost forgot Fisher Models. I have all of his Porsches and am considering doubling up on a few!!

Edited by Modelmartin

It would be nice if we could create a list with links and make it a sticky for new guys to find the right stuff. I know I am getting tired of searching the net for what I want only to find out the site is dead or they are no longer in business but the domain name hasn't expired!

While i'm here I will ask again whats up with auto atomix and Arrowhead Aluminum? Looks like great stuff but can't get it!

Don at Reliable Resin has always been great to me. Just saved one of my projects by replacing a hood I trashed.

Surprised not to have seen Speed City Resin on any lists. The have outstanding stuff.

Competition Resin, Bandit Resin, SMBC, and MAD all are great to deal with.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned RMR, Race Motor Replicas. They do a lot of interesting stuff, and although all I have is trucks, they do others as well.

Some of these pictures are old and of poor quality, but...

Dodge Power Wagon

2007NNLNationals254-vi.jpg

Jeep Wagoneer

2008OhioTrip056-vi.jpg

1941 Dodge Panel

April2008751-vi.jpg

One of the things that really stinks about the hobby for me is that I totally missed out on AAM. I didn't start building until it was too late, and if I had gotten here earlier, I would have wanted almost everything Art offered!

That's my biggest problem with resin. I want so many of them, and I can only afford to get about 2 a year! If I had the money, I could probably order 2 a week and not get all I wanted for a few year's time! I actually sometimes would rather have what's available in resin than what's in plastic...I prefer the obscure!

Here's my one and only AAM piece, which I do plan to build, perhaps even in 2011.

2006OhioTrip163-vi.jpg

I have an entire section on my website for resin kits. Each company has it's own album.

http://public.fotki.com/ElCaminoBilly/model-car-aftermarket/