Model Cars Magazine Forum

I am curious....what is the coolest thing you have done?

Hmmmmmm,

Other than family stuff....... the most important.

1. Working on Don Schumacher & Tom Hoover's funny cars in the '70s.

2. The "Ride along" at Texas Motor Speedway with 11 other "Cup" cars in a pack.

3. The "Ride along" at Charlotte Motor Speedway and the only car on the track.

4. Working for a company that was involved in NASCAR racing that was part of my job

going to many of the Cup, Busch and modified races.

5. Having my picture made with Linda Vaughan & flying with Bill "Grumpy" Jenkins.

6. Going to breakfast at the hotel in Indy and having the entire room to myself until

a very nice man asked if he could join me. His name was Wally Parks, founder of the

NHRA. A great breakfast and conversation.

7. Getting General Chuck Yeager's autograph.

8. Seeing an SR-71 in flight.

9. Seeing Jimi Hendrix, Janis Joplin, Led Zeppelin and especially Stevie Ray Vaughan

in concerts.

10. Fishing at the Outer Banks in North Carolina.

Edited by Hondo

You doing RAGBRAI Andy?

B)

Mark, when I lived in Oskaloosa, I got involved with RAGBRAI a couple of times, and I loved it when people would come to Iowa with the perception that it was flat. By the time they made it 2/3 of the way across the state, they had a totally different view of it. I can assure you that the hill just east of Tracy on 92 would make a believer out of anybody.

This is a really cool thread. I'm enjoying how many people find serving their country and their families to be the coolest things in their lives.

Hmm, My Traxxas E-Revo is the first in the country if not the world to get the Titan 775 electric motor from a Summit swapped in it and have helped several E-Revo and E-Maxx owners both in person and over the internet convert their trucks over to the 775 :(

My Traxxas Stampede is likely one of the first to be converted over the driveshafts and differential outputs from a Jato back in 2005 and it's still using the same parts, although It's tore a few stub axles in two since putting the Traxxas Velineon Brushless system in the truck :(

Put a Castle Creations 4600kV brushless motor and Sidewinder Speed Control in a Tamiya M-03 Mini Cooper and powered it with a Thunder Power 3250mAh, 11.1 volt lithium polymer battery......then went fast enough it blew up both belted rubber tires I put on the left front :(

Managed to leg press over 1000lbs at the gym and have done it enough that it doesn't surprised regular gym goers any more....but does get some funny looks from those who haven't seen me do that before B)

One day I got a call from an old buddy... a musician. He told me he was trying to write a song for his band's new album but he was having writer's block. I told him not to worry... I'd try and help him out.

The next day I called him up and told him that I had thrown something together, and that he could have it, no credit to me necessary–a favor for a friend. It was a little rough around the edges but I told him maybe the band could make it work. He thanked me and said he and his "mates" would give it a shot... so I mailed it off to him.

A few months later I got an advance copy of their new album, and I have to admit that they had done a pretty good job on "Stairway to Heaven"... B)

Did I say Stairway to Heaven? My bad... I meant, ummm.... uh... When the Levee Breaks. Yeah, yeah, When the Levee Breaks, that's the ticket. :P

Boy, it's starting to get DEEP in here, I'd better get out the hip waders!!! :lol:B):blink::P:huh::P

Out ran a lifted 4x4 with a stock heavy half s10 long bed.

That reminds me of a time I outran a friend of mine in a drag race between his old 70something Dodge pickup and my Freightliner Classic XL tractor! He was so embarrassed he sold the Dodge for a Chevy diesel! B):P

Of course, winning that drag race with the truck was sort of a redemption for me, because in high school another friend of mine challenged me to a drag race, my 76 Mercury Cougar against him, ON FOOT! HE BEAT ME! He actually outran the car!

Perhaps not "cool," but something I'm still proud of nonetheless.

When I was quite young, my parents were told by special education "experts" that the chances of me graduating high school were slim, at best. The teachers told my parents "He's smart, but just not school material- he thinks too independently. You should be happy if he gets a G.Ed. and some kind of basic job and if he can support himself."

Well...one Bachelor's degree, a teacher's license, real estate salesman's license, thirty credits of graduate work, 3/4 of the way to an associate's degree to get retrained, and looking at going for a J.D. now that it took almost a decade for me to fully figure out why education is so screwed up (like my early experiences weren't enough...)later, I can say I proved them all wrong.

I went from a kid that was considered too "strange" to succeed or as one teacher suggested, to even deserve success, to a college graduate and then some.

I wish I knew how to track down the people that told my parents all those years ago I couldn't. I would've loved to have shown them the picture of me receiving my diploma at Commencement. It did take me a little longer than I anticipated (seven years- a couple of part-time semesters and a major change will do that to you,) but as my dad said "I don't who was smiling more, you or the president."

If I could one thing over again, it probably would be to have gone to law school in 2000 or so, instead of waiting and wasting my time teaching high school in the atmosphere education has now become. Had it not been law school, at least doing something else, or putting the money together to start a business.

Other things over the years that've been important to me:

-Learning how to be relatively self-sufficient.

-Joining De Molay.

-Joining the Masons.

-Having found some of the best friends anyone could've asked for.

Charlie Larkin

LOL. Well, after I beat the kid with the chevelle 350 with my dodge onmi, everyone wanted to race. When I got the chevy s10 and it was worthless for speed, people would laugh at me. That is until I beat the kid with the 4x4 on the seasonl road(full of deep ruts.) I may have bounced off a tree or two, but I managed to pass him on that road and dusted him! My street two wheel drive made the road! His lifted 4x4 got stuck after I passed him! LOL.

So I jump ship in Hong Kong and I make my way over to Tibet, and I get on as a looper at a course over in the Himalayas.

A looper, you know, a caddy, a looper, a jock. So, I tell them I'm a pro jock, and who do you think they give me? The Dalai Lama, himself. Twelfth son of the Lama. The flowing robes, the grace, bald... striking. So, I'm on the first tee with him. I give him the driver. He hauls off and whacks one - big hitter, the Lama - long, into a ten-thousand foot crevasse, right at the base of this glacier. Do you know what the Lama says? Gunga galunga... gunga, gunga-lagunga. So we finish the eighteenth and he's gonna stiff me. And I say, "Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know." And he says, "Oh, uh, there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness." So I got that goin' for me, which is nice.

Being a husband to a great lady, having five great kids, and being Grandpa to ten grand kids, second coolest would be being V.P. of a model club with a bunch cool people who work together to put on an annual show to bennefit local childrens charities, OH ya an I have met, from trick my truck Rick "Scrap yard", Matt Moor, and looking forward to meeting Da Boss man Brian Maritn this year, also Gregory Peck, Ozzy, James Doohan, and Nichel Nichels from "trek" ok so I'm a geek.

There's a lot of good stories here aaaand... a lot of Bull Scat.... B):D:D

Ok, my turn... 1993, I was a newly minted EMT working as a reserve for the Fire Dept. in the town south of the one I lived in. We had equipped and been certified on Semi-Automatic Defibrilators for less than a year. We got a call about 10:00 PM , Person unconsious, upon arrival found an APD officer doing CPR, took over and had him assist. (We were so shorthanded, he rode to the hospital in the squad as my First Responder). We were a Basic Life Support unit so ALS (Advanced Life Support, aka Paramedic) would respond from Anderson and meet us enroute. Before we met ALS, I had shocked the man twice with our new Defib and had him in a normal sinus rhythm, (Regular heartbeat) and his respirations were coming back on their own as he was starting to struggle against the breathing tube and AMBU bag. He was still unconscious but we timed the bag with his breathing... We got him to the hospital, they transfered him to an Indianapolis cardio-unit and he went home two weeks later. He was 42ish at the time, he is still alive today. Myself and the reserve officer are credited with the first BLS Defibrilator save in Madison County and a man is alive today because of our actions. I served my community from Oct. '91 to late '98 and know that I did some good in that time.

The one thing that I have done that was the most fun, at least as far as work goes, was driving a Semi for the Gaither Vocal Band out of Alexandria, IN. I was one of four truck drivers that would tour with the Gaithers and haul their concert equipment. Mine was the lighting trailer... Touring the country with the Gaithers, also with Ernie Haase and Signature Sound, having an All Access Pass to the whichever Venue we were at was an absolute blast, and it paid well. I got to see 38 states in less than a year AND I got to meet some fascinating people in the music industry.

Edited by Wagoneer81

Well, if marriage is a given, what else?

The first thing that comes to mind was to help organize a local food drive for the victims of Hurricane Hugo in 1989. Cable news spoke of people desperate in need of supplies, especially in need of ice. So I thought “We have tons of ice up here… why can’t we send some?†Well, I found out that shipping ice from NH down south would be too costly, but with the help of the Salvation Army, we had a food drive. I was living in small town USA at the time… had three local businesses with collection boxes. I filled a minivan, and delivered that to a nearby city that was filling a trailer with donations.

I wish we had a “like†button on here as Facebook has… there is some amazing stuff all you are posting.

In my automotive life, being invited to Larry and Joyce Shinoda's house for dinner ranks right up there.

More recently, writing an article for "Automobile Quarterly" (Volume 47 Number 3) makes me proud:

47_3CoverLR_200x0.jpg

Then, of course, owning one of these, and having driven all of them (including laps around Road America in the California Spider #2383) has been very special:

250GTE2.jpg

In the model world, making the cover of the May, 1995 cover of "Car Modeler" with my fantasy Corvette is my only real big event:

DWPWeb3.jpg

After almost 72 years, it has been a great trip, hope I can add a few more cool items.

Much more of this kind of stuff than anyone else could possibly care about HERE.