Model Cars Magazine Forum

Anyone try this chrome paint?

Ah yes, the old cost factor. Matt, if you break down the cost for this product, Spazstix Ultra Chrome and Alclad II by the ounce the price per ounce = This product 8.25

Ultra Chrome 6.50

Alclad II 6.00 range

The 8 oz bottles @ 89.00 are even cheaper @ less than 6.00 per ounce. My question was posed to see if anyone had any experience with this product. My purpose for it is two fold. I have a lot of chrome and bright work on my 1966 full size Mercury S55 convertible that is in dire shape. This may be a viable alternative to plating and thus save me money. I also would like to find an alternative to Alclad II and Ultra Chrome that can be clear coated.I think it would look great on models.

Jim, I will be purchasing the 4 oz supply in the near future. Yes, it pretty much states that it is an Alsacorp type product.

It says POLYESTER URETHANE HYBRID CLEARCOAT. This is not the same as a normal Urethane clear that your thinking of, NO REDUCER OR CATALYST REQUIRED- the clear that comes in the kit is not the same as the glamer clear that they are selling.

Either way I will stay with my Alsa chrome and Du Pont Clear.

Thank you very much Chas, your input has be very helpful. I made a decision to order MirraChrome earlier today after finding this article on the web late yesterday. http://mysite.verizon.net/slmajor1/restorationchrome.html He compared Alcad, MirraChrome and Kosmic Krome from House of Kolor in a test he did.

Xotic compares itself with House of Kolor so I automatically related the two. Anyone interested can find MirraChome at:http://www.kustomrides.com/home.php As little an amount as 1/2 ounce can be purchased. I ordered 1 ounce for 25.00 plus shipping. The price of it is worth it for the chance to see if I can make it come out right.

It will be interesting to find out if you need any special spray equipment to use it. Can it be used with the standard Paasche or Badger or Testors air brush? Do you need special tips? What pressure will it need? These are some of the things we are waiting to find out. Thanks for being the guinea pig B)

Howard, The MirraChome is very thin stuff and reminds me of just an over price alcad. I tried this and also there was a few people here using it and they had trouble putting the clear over it as it would dull out to silver like alcad does. The PSI was at 12 to 15psi and they awas working with motorcycle parts.

The other stuff that we was talking about you can use any airbursh with it as they sell Badger air brush kits also and talk about doing special paint jobs with this.

For Alsa I use airbrush and shoot it at 12 to 10psi and like mirrachrome you do not have to thin it at all. It is ready to shoot right out of the can. But I just like it better as it holds up to clear and shines a lot easy'er is all.

Chas SCR: Thanks for replying with your experieneces with the product. I wanted to ask if you can post pics of the things that you painted with ALSA. It wasn't clear in your post but I need to ask ;does the ALSA look like chrome? Is it dead on?

I stumbled across this site and thought it interesting. I don't like the looks of foil and Alclad seems to be a problem for many so I'm considering this as an option. Here's the web site: http://www.innate.com/Paint/Chrome/Chrome.htm

Looks promising, AND it can be clearcoated! That's a huge plus over using the Alclad products.

Mike

Looks like real chrome untill you get to larger parts that I found GMP. The smaller parts looks good and does not look like the kit chrome. I will try to post some pics of the stuff that I have done two year ago till now since I found a little better way of keeping the shine on larger parts.

K, GMP i'm going to try and post some pics. Not sure if they will turn out as i'm not the best at taking photos.

On the 57 the bumpers show the different shine then the rims. The rims was done from chrome Tech and I did the bumpers on this. Since then I have change the front to the all new chrome that is called antiq chrome look. This is more of a blacker chrome. The good thing about it as you do not have to do any black wash on the parts if you do it just right.

Dscf0299-vi.jpg

Dscf0513-vi.jpg

DSCF0552-vi.jpg

This shows the chassis on this car done wrong it was shot too soon and made it dull out.

100_7720-vi.jpg

On this one after building another one of the same car. The every thing done but the rims with alsa.

With the mirrier you can see where the black in the floor. The bigger the part (like a chassis) it seems

it's better to put a mid clear first. I use Futur and dip the chassis in it and let it dry for 3 days.

Then shot the urethane over it and the really seem to work great.

Coddington61a-vi.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I received my order of Alsa Mirrachrome and tried it about 2 weeks ago. Keep in mind that I have never sprayed any type of chrome paint before. The prep work was followed as directed. First I sprayed a gloss black. In this case it was Testers one coat metallic

black. After that dried, I sprayed a coat of Minwax fast drying polyurethane. Last, I used my Passche H with a #3 needle and misted on the Mirrachrome. Here is the result I got first try.

DSC01621.jpg

What about Kosutte ginsan? I keep hearing how great it is but can never find it available.

Me & george 53 ordered some Kosutte Ginsan from HWJapan. It was $25.00 for a little jar. It's a powder that needs to applied over gloss black enamel paint. It's much darker than Alclad but shines up very nicely. I posted pics of the ginsan vs. Alclad on this forum that showed a variety of attempts with both products. I have no idea how to find the post again.

I received my order of Alsa Mirrachrome and tried it about 2 weeks ago. Keep in mind that I have never sprayed any type of chrome paint before. The prep work was followed as directed. First I sprayed a gloss black. In this case it was Testers one coat metallic

black. After that dried, I sprayed a coat of Minwax fast drying polyurethane. Last, I used my Passche H with a #3 needle and misted on the Mirrachrome. Here is the result I got first try.

DSC01621.jpg

Looks pretty good. I can actually see your reflection in the spoon.

Me & george 53 ordered some Kosutte Ginsan from HWJapan. It was $25.00 for a little jar. It's a powder that needs to applied over gloss black enamel paint. It's much darker than Alclad but shines up very nicely. I posted pics of the ginsan vs. Alclad on this forum that showed a variety of attempts with both products. I have no idea how to find the post again.

You can also get it from Hobby Search. Heres the link

Kosutte Ginsan

The wheels on the Porsche were done with this stuff. I love this stuff.

100_6103-vi.jpg