Model Cars Magazine Forum

69 copo nova

Did anybody else hear of this kit?? I just seen it on hobbylinc's site. No release date yet! cool stuff! Sixx. OOPs, it says late march 2011. I'd better look before I babble, LOL!!!!

Edited by Sixx

Looks like another reissue of the '69 Yenko Nova, only this time with the correct hood and grille (the first issue has an incorrect SS hood and grille). Ian is correct, the 427 Novas were not COPO cars, like the Camaro and Chevelle (COPO 9561 and 9566, respectivly), but rather were cars ordered with the 396 equipment and converted at Yenko's dealership. GM refused to build them ,as the 427 had too much power for the relatively lightweight Nova platform. Even Yenko admitted it was a bad idea after they built them. According to most sources, only 27 were built.

Strange, I thought that the Camaro and Nova used basicly the same front subframes and substructures........

Yeah but significant weight difference over all. sub 3200 pounds, it was even lighter than the Corvette the motor came from.

They were built under the table and snuck the "illegal" cars out the back door for $4000.00 a pop.

There were no factory, or factory authorized 427 Novas, and GM claims no knowledge of them.

I have read different stories and it was all kind of sketchy what really happened, but one of the popular tails is GM pretty much shut him down from doing any more COPO or modified cars.

I believe there was a cease and disist order floating around that came indirectly from GM, although I think somewhere he said he managed to slip a few more out the door before the clamps were slammed down on him.

Even Don said it was a Lethal Liability.

The 427 L72 in a Nova did 10 second quarter miles with just drag slicks on the factory rims.

Most sources say there were 37 built, but Don claims he doesn't even know for sure how many had gone out the back door because he wasn't keeping any records or track of them for obvious reasons. Somewhere between 11-7 depending on sources copies of the 37 left in the world.

Edited by CAL

Yeah but significant weight difference over all. sub 3200 pounds, it was even lighter than the Corvette the motor came from.

They were built under the table and snuck the "illegal" cars out the back door for $4000.00 a pop.

There were no factory, or factory authorized 427 Novas, and GM claims no knowledge of them.

I have read different stories and it was all kind of sketchy what really happened, but one of the popular tails is GM pretty much shut him down from doing any more COPO or modified cars.

I believe there was a cease and disist order floating around that came indirectly from GM, although I think somewhere he said he managed to slip a few more out the door before the clamps were slammed down on him.

Even Don said it was a Lethal Liability.

The 427 L72 in a Nova did 10 second quarter miles with just drag slicks on the factory rims.

Most sources say there were 37 built, but Don claims he doesn't even know for sure how many had gone out the back door because he wasn't keeping any records or track of them for obvious reasons. Somewhere between 11-7 depending on sources copies of the 37 left in the world.

Lighter than the Corvette ??? I would hope so, those fiberglass cars aren't the lightweights people think.........look at the curb weight on one.

Still, doesn't seem any more "lethal" than what Mopar did with the 68 Hemi S/S Barracuda and Dart. Just as light and even more power.

Lighter than the Corvette ??? I would hope so, those fiberglass cars aren't the lightweights people think.........look at the curb weight on one.

Still, doesn't seem any more "lethal" than what Mopar did with the 68 Hemi S/S Barracuda and Dart. Just as light and even more power.

who knows for sure. All we do know is Don asked for 427 Novas and GM said no and that it was too powerful for the light weight Nova. So Don built them anyway out the back door, got caught and GM put the pressure on.

I am sure there was a bunch of political and legal things going on behind closed doors. Even years later Don was vague about the whole thing and changed up his side of the store. As far as GM was concerned it didn't happen and was all brushed under the carpet.

Edited by CAL

10 seconds is a bit of exaggeration for a stock L72 as well...

Basically the same car as a Camaro- although the Nova was more likely to be built with less options than a typical Camaro

Not really exaggertated at all. There was a big artical in... maybe Car Craft 10-15 years ago on the 427 Nova and they showed the time slips in the 10s (10.93), on slicks on the stock rims and the only other mods were safety related.

you have to consider the source of the information as well :blink:

i seem to recall a magazine in recent times that also claimed a factory "stock" street 426 Hemi made 700+hp, not the rated 425. that's stretching the legend of the Hemi a bit far.

Yeah, it might make 700+ hp for five minutes before the cranksshaft exits the bottom of the motor.

Am I the only one who finds this kit very ironic ??? Revell already released the 69 Yenko Nova (which never existed) and now they are "fixing" the kit with a bench seat and a non-SS grille (making another car that didn't officially exist...). At the same time Revell is selling a 68 Dodge Dart Hemi Super Stock (a car that DID exist) kit with so many mistakes it's laughable. :blink::blink::)

Am I the only one who finds this kit very ironic ??? Revell already released the 69 Yenko Nova (which never existed) and now they are "fixing" the kit with a bench seat and a non-SS grille (making another car that didn't officially exist...). At the same time Revell is selling a 68 Dodge Dart Hemi Super Stock (a car that DID exist) kit with so many mistakes it's laughable. :blink::blink::)

But even that car you didn't just go to the dealer and drive it off the lot.

Maybe they will get around to fixing the Dart too. :blink:

Edited by CAL

At least they are trying! I'll take what we can get!

what exactly is the kit that's coming out? is it a "COPO" 427 Nova kit or something else?

honestly i could care less as to what engine it has this time around if they are going to be making a standard grille and tail panel and bench seat version.

A COPO Nova would likely be the 9738 396 TH400 Nova, which was the car Yenko was used as his base for the 427 car, since there really technically wasn't any Factory big block Novas.

There were no COPO 427 Novas, as already established.

It should have the SS packaging, which you could get in the small block as well.

Edited by CAL

Well, at least I can use the bench seat minus the head rests to replicate my 68 SS with bench seat and column shift. The dash is going to take some work though as 68's have a one year only dash. I never have understood why all the kit makers and diecast makers ignore the 68....it WAS the start of this body design, the first to have a 396 or 350, the last to use the Chevy II designation, the last without head rests, or ignition lock on the column. 68 SS models were far rarer than any of the 69-72 models as well. Here is my 1:1 68 SS. I am the 2nd owner, I bought it in 1977 from the family who bought it new. It has been restored back to it's original Butternut Yellow.

post-7535-0-83406100-1295575130_thumb.jp

Edited by exnyman

Remember it's easier and cheaper to change two or three parts in a kit than to tool a whole new one. This is just another way Revell is trying to squeeze 25 bucks out of guys and not have to put the work in a new kit. I hope eventually Revell and R2 will realize the muscle cars have been done to death and provide us some new models or reissues of 90's kits or anything for the youth that grew up fantasizing about Lambos and Ferrari and drove 5.0 mustangs and Berrettas to school. Don't get me wrong I enjoy muscle cars and go to more car shows than anyone I know but in the model world I build one 57 chevy or a 64 Mustang and I don't care to build another. Doesn't matter how many times they bring it out with a new hood or seats or decals.

And yes I know Revell makes a several Ferrari kits I was just trying to make a point.

Also is the Yenko considered a true COPO car since the modifications were done at the dealership because GM didn't approve the modifications? COPO cars were warrantied by GM but the Yenko was not because the modifications were not approved.

Well, at least I can use the bench seat minus the head rests to replicate my 68 SS with bench seat and column shift. The dash is going to take some work though as 68's have a one year only dash. I never have understood why all the kit makers and diecast makers ignore the 68....it WAS the start of this body design, the first to have a 396 or 350, the last to use the Chevy II designation, the last without head rests, or ignition lock on the column. 68 SS models were far rarer than any of the 69-72 models as well. Here is my 1:1 68 SS. I am the 2nd owner, I bought it in 1977 from the family who bought it new. It has been restored back to it's original Butternut Yellow.

It's the forgotten year. Everyone remembers 69. I kind of always like the 68 best too.

It's the forgotten year. Everyone remembers 69. I kind of always like the 68 best too.

Yes, even in 1:1 parts, there are still things they haven't done repros on for 68's. Oh well, just makes owners of 68's feel like they have something a little out of the ordinary. I took a look at the photo for the COPO Nova kit, I'm thinking this one has some possibilities with a 6 or small block, to make some neat Plain Jane versions.

Remember it's easier and cheaper to change two or three parts in a kit than to tool a whole new one. This is just another way Revell is trying to squeeze 25 bucks out of guys and not have to put the work in a new kit. I hope eventually Revell and R2 will realize the muscle cars have been done to death and provide us some new models or reissues of 90's kits or anything for the youth that grew up fantasizing about Lambos and Ferrari and drove 5.0 mustangs and Berrettas to school. Don't get me wrong I enjoy muscle cars and go to more car shows than anyone I know but in the model world I build one 57 chevy or a 64 Mustang and I don't care to build another. Doesn't matter how many times they bring it out with a new hood or seats or decals.

And yes I know Revell makes a several Ferrari kits I was just trying to make a point.

Also is the Yenko considered a true COPO car since the modifications were done at the dealership because GM didn't approve the modifications? COPO cars were warrantied by GM but the Yenko was not because the modifications were not approved.

A COPO was a way a dealer could order a special built car not on the normal order list. So there were some geniune COPO car that Yenko turned out.

The Nova, which was a COPO car, but a 396 was altered at the dealer with the installation of a 427, which GM said no to.

a 396 Nova is a big-block car and there were quite a few produced by GM.

COPO cars are interesting and i think mis-understood by most. typically the source for "fleet" type vehicles it was a way to special order cars like non-SS big-block Nova's and Camaro's. to be honest "COPO" or C.O.P.O. cars restored to factory stock bore me to no end, it's what dealers and owners did with them afterwards that in my opinion makes them interesting.

like i said i could really care less what the upcoming kit has in it engine wise. give me the non-SS standard grille and tail panel and that bench seat and using the previous issue kits and my parts box and resources i can build pretty much whatever i want. i will admit though that a '68 with the correct dash would be something very cool from Revell.

L78 Novas which was the 375 hp, and something like only 50 built.

The standard L34 or whatever it was a 350 hp

Edited by CAL

You people really need to look it up on the web for photos, They did make a 69 Yenco Nova , And Chevelle,They also made them in 1970 It had a 350 in it and was called the Duece, I can't wait for this one to come out , So I can build a grocery getter out of it, Just swap the 350 out of the SS kit, And use the valve covers ,dechrome them, And use the air cleaner from the amt 72 Nova . That will look like a 307.

what exactly is the kit that's coming out? is it a "COPO" 427 Nova kit or something else?

honestly i could care less as to what engine it has this time around if they are going to be making a standard grille and tail panel and bench seat version.

There were no COPO 1969s at all. There were 50 COPO (9738) Novas ordered in 1968 by Fred Gibb, all were 396 from GM with a few swapped to 427 with/by Dick Harrell.

Yenko built Novas in 1969 (both 396 and 527) but they weren't COPO cars. The 1970 Yenko Deuce was COPO (9010) and they were 350s.

So, to call it a COPO it should be a '68 or a '70. If it's a '69 call it a Yenko - wait, didn't they try that? lol

Edited by ian ashton

You people really need to look it up on the web for photos, They did make a 69 Yenco Nova , And Chevelle,They also made them in 1970 It had a 350 in it and was called the Duece, I can't wait for this one to come out , So I can build a grocery getter out of it, Just swap the 350 out of the SS kit, And use the valve covers ,dechrome them, And use the air cleaner from the amt 72 Nova . That will look like a 307.

Yeah, but there was no COPO 427 Yenko Nova, which is what the discussion is about.

Although this may be true about the 69 big block Nova I do recall reading that the 1970 LT-1 powered Yenko Deuce Nova was a genuine COPO. According to Super Chevy the 427 Nova is listed as COPO 9738 and they have written several articles on the Yenko, Motion and Gibb cars

Edited by nhrafan