Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMC Matador street machine: UPDATE!

kerc

Okay, I decided this will be my next project. Started this in 2003, never finished it. Now I remembered these odd wheels, and I realized the wheel holes mirror somewhat the design of the rear window, and that pegged my weird-o-meter. So it's on.

Might paint it red with black wheels...

None.jpg

None.jpg

None.jpg

:lol:

Edited by kerc

Jose,

Love those Matadors! Good start so far but the intake manifold is on back to front. The spots for the upper radiator hose and the oil filler tube should be at the front.

Could be. The engine was assembled at the start of the project almost 10 years ago, so anything is possible.

:lol:

Black wheels? Maybe if the rim had a thin red stripe to visually separate it from the tire. Keep going with this! Very unusual subject matter!

Are you reading my mind? B) I thought about doing that this morning! Actually, looking at the color I used inside and out, I might go for something like McLaren orange instead of red...So the wheel stripe would be orange too!

Are you reading my mind? B) I thought about doing that this morning! Actually, looking at the color I used inside and out, I might go for something like McLaren orange instead of red...So the wheel stripe would be orange too!

I can't even read my own mind! ;):D

I used to own a 74 model like this. All black inside and out. I bought it from a sub. teacher. It had a 401 big block with GM ignition, a Motorcraft 4 bbl, A727 Mopar trans with a Dana 60 with 4.11 gears, Mopar springs and the front had the mustang suspension with the coil spring above the A arm. Dang thing would fly. Only thin mine had the opera window instead of the full quarter glass like this one. Cool car.

Where can you find a street version of this kit? Only one I have or ever see is the NASCAR version. I thought about trying to build one of those to match my old car, but the interior would be the problem there.

Jose, you and me must be long lost brothers... Both in San Antonio, both with simular interests...

This is making me wanna drag mine out of the "rebuilder box" and see what I can do. Way back when it was new, It was an orange & black street machine. The latest plans and sketches had it low with ground effects.

I've always like the Matadors though with the style of the body, the bumpers seemed like an afterthought... I like it without them.

How about an IMSA Matador? Try to get around that on a narrow course...

• 2 weeks later...

Oh, ######. :D

The bad thing when you take your time in a project is that new ideas keep springing up. I just mocked up this:

IMG00358-20110129-2145.jpg

IMG00357-20110129-2144.jpg

And now I'm torn between both. I gotta say I have a weakness for whitewalls and primer... B)

Those whitewalls are looking millions of times better than those big ugly wheels... But I would use high profile and wide tires for the back, without whitewall. 5 spoke wheels there, like Gragar on American Racing wheels. But anyways, I like the project. Engine looks very good, detailing is very nice. Here are nice wheel and tire combo:http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_i_AovfzNXgQ/TSqQrUidBII/AAAAAAABaz4/nD77AiwLrVA/s1600/DSC_0058.JPG

Edited by W-409

I'm just glad to know I'm not the only guy with a Weird-O-Meter! :lol:

Weird-O-Meter?

I thought I was just thinking outside of the box (not the round room) :D:lol:

I love weird and the Matador is just that.

Engine looks Great but should the throttle return spring be facing the other way?

Wheels? Well, Just gonna have to wait till it's finish to really judge if the wheels work

with it.

The nike wheels black with a red lip sounds good but Wide whites could also look good.

I wear out my wheels before the model is ever done (if done) :lol:;)

IMG00361-20110130-1531.jpg

None.jpg

My vote is for one of the two above but I think I like the 3 spokes better on the Matador. After all, if you're trying to be different/creative/weird/offbeat, why not try something different? Of course, you could just go with the wide whitewall/baby moon combo or the American Racing 5-spoke look if you want the car to look just like darn near every other car on this forum.

Think outside the box!