Model Cars Magazine Forum

'76 Caprice Rides Again!!!!

Chuck Most

What would be a good kit to source a Small Block 350/305 engine from?

This kit has the early 1970's 454 Big Block, and it is both wrong for '76, and poorly detailed. I'd say the MPC '78/79 Monte Carlo, but those are not really a god candidate as, they are too nice in their own right to be parted out. Oddly, both kits have trailers, though.

20 minutes ago, alexis said:

This kit has the early 1970's 454 Big Block, and it is both wrong for '76, and poorly detailed. I'd say the MPC '78/79 Monte Carlo, but those are not really a god candidate as, they are too nice in their own right to be parted out. Oddly, both kits have trailers, though.

I was gonna say the Monte Carlo but..

Anyway, why would a 454 be wrong for a '76?  ,, although, yea, it is pretty weak.

Edited by Can-Con

24 minutes ago, alexis said:

This kit has the early 1970's 454 Big Block, and it is both wrong for '76, and poorly detailed. 

76 was the last year for the 454 in the full sizers.  Not sure how visually it would differ from an early 70s one (maybe the exhaust?)

1 hour ago, alexis said:

The one from some versions of the Revell 69 Nova is very good and some kit breakers are selling just the engine on ebay. There is also a more stock one with an automatic transmission in the AMT 72 Chevy truck.

I'd imagine that --at least in-scale-- the engine colour (Corporate Blue) is different, and the air cleaner would have the heat riser tube & snorkel .

Both the 402 ( "400" ) and 454 were optional for '76.

As for a small block : the MPC Chevy / GMC 'Squarebody' pickups have a decent engine with an auto trans (don't know if it's a TH-350 or TH-400) , complete with the aforementioned air cleaner / hear tube. The clutch fan from the AMT LT-1 --truly, the pulleys / belts / accessories and fan-- would be correct for 1976, IIRC. 

2 hours ago, 1972coronet said:

I'd imagine that --at least in-scale-- the engine colour (Corporate Blue) is different, and the air cleaner would have the heat riser tube & snorkel .

Both the 402 ( "400" ) and 454 were optional for '76.

As for a small block : the MPC Chevy / GMC 'Squarebody' pickups have a decent engine with an auto trans (don't know if it's a TH-350 or TH-400) , complete with the aforementioned air cleaner / hear tube. The clutch fan from the AMT LT-1 --truly, the pulleys / belts / accessories and fan-- would be correct for 1976, IIRC. 

They were red. 

I can't post the pics but here's a link of an all original '76 with the 454.

https://www.mecum.com/lots/CA0814-189994/1976-chevrolet-caprice-classic/

And here's a sharp '76 wagon

ngcb11

https://barnfinds.com/original-454-1976-chevrolet-caprice-estate/

• Like 1

Yeah, IIRC "Corporate Blue" came out in 1977. A neighbor was so upset that he might get a Chevy engine in his Cutlass wagon they ordered the 403 instead of the 350. I don't think that Mr. Day was smart enough to come up with that idea on his own, he may have been coached by a neighbor lad......

1 minute ago, Rodent said:

Yeah, IIRC "Corporate Blue" came out in 1977. A neighbor was so upset that he might get a Chevy engine in his Cutlass wagon they ordered the 403 instead of the 350. I don't think that Mr. Day was smart enough to come up with that idea on his own, he may have been coached by a neighbor lad......

and who would that have been, Steve? 😉👍

• 1 month later...

Since this is being re-issued, I thought I'd post some pics of the one I finally completed after three repaints. Started it in 2000 and finally got it done in 2020. I had to separate the windshield from the bag glass to get it all to fit. Nice old kit. Painted the Testor's Plum Crazy enamel. with flat purple interior and purple flocking.

spacer.png

I should have detailed the caps on the wire hub caps but I just ran out of desire to do any more detailing on it.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

I'm not sure if I'll get a new issue or not, but the trailer is cool. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 1/13/2022 at 3:51 PM, Rob Hall said:

76 was the last year for the 454 in the full sizers.  Not sure how visually it would differ from an early 70s one (maybe the exhaust?)

The 1976 Caprice kit has a leftover 427 engine from the 1968 Impala.

I always questioned the dual exhaust with single cat converter. Maybe somebody has information about the real 454 exhaust in 1976.

59 minutes ago, Bob Ellis said:

I always questioned the dual exhaust with single cat converter. Maybe somebody has information about the real 454 exhaust in 1976.

This is what Rock Auto shows for 1975 and 1976. Wagons were even weirder.

image.png.284606076071ec03c10adb93cae35a01.png

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Bob Ellis said:

Chevrolet did that with the Z/28 when they brought it back in '77.  The ads showed the two mufflers and tailpipes, but not the single converter.

• Like 1