Model Cars Magazine Forum

'76 Caprice Rides Again!!!!

Chuck Most

11 hours ago, MyBradKeselowski said:

Is it going to be molded in Coca Cola red or the color of the pic car?   If so I want a case of them.

I was being facetious ; my attempt at humour . I wouldn't be opposed to the body , bonnet , and all-related parts being moulded in red --- though many forum members abhor red-coloured plastic for 98% of purposes (e.g. , it makes colour changes more challenging) .

• 2 years later...
1 hour ago, Casey said:

mpc963.jpg.d266026ecb1d4f43d86560dc6a215389.jpg

New art and whoever did it still can't seem to take a look at an actual car. 🙄

The windshield pillars are covered completely with a piece of stainless steel trim. ALL GM full size hardtops of that generation were done this way. Why can't they seem to get this right?

1976 Chevrolet Caprice | Classic Cars for Sale - Streetside Classics

Edited by Can-Con

22 minutes ago, Casey said:

Is it correct on the model? Is that piece represented on the A-pillar?

Its not. I was wondering if mpc modified a mold for something else way back in the day 

This was from the last issue from around 8 years ago. I just painted the whole pillar chrome. I'm sure the new one will be same especially due to the box art. 

20211130_201003.jpg

Edited by Hondamatic
  • Like 3

Disregard the box art.  It's nothing to agonize over and something that Bare Metal Foil will cover anyway.  All of the '71-'76 big Chevies are like this except the '71 Impala convertible promo.  These are good kits with a detailed trailer included.  I have promos of the '71 convertible, '72, '74 and '75.  I have the '73 Caprice hardtop kit, which is a faithful reproduction of the real one Dad ordered with the 454, and I sold in 1991 after too many Michigan winters!  The '76 promo was only available in maroon and white.  I want this kit to complete my collection. 

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Casey said:

Is it correct on the model? Is that piece represented on the A-pillar?

It's correct on the '71 to '73 Impalas but the '74 to '76 body is different. 

This is probably the best pic I can use to explain it. There should be a line [seam] where I stopped the chrome across the top of the pillar. It is on the earlier bodies but not represented on the later bodies. 

The actual piece does have a character line down them that makes it look like separate pieces and then the rain gutter makes another line. To those that don't know the difference , the way it's molded makes it look like a strip around the windshield, another strip down the pillar at the side glass with body color between.  The pillared sedans are actually done like that but not the hardtops.

Caprice 4

3 minutes ago, Motor City said:

Disregard the box art.  It's nothing to agonize over and something that Bare Metal Foil will cover anyway.  All of the '71-'76 big Chevies are like this except the '71 Impala convertible promo.  These are good kits with a detailed trailer included.  I have promos of the '71 convertible, '72, '74 and '75.  I have the '73 Caprice hardtop kit, which is a faithful reproduction of the real one Dad ordered with the 454, and I sold in 1991 after too many Michigan winters!  The '76 promo was only available in maroon and white.  I want this kit to complete my collection. 

Oh, I know JIm but it just bugs me that they can't seem to get this right on the box art when it's so simple to do.

I actually have a run of full size Chevys right from the '55 up through '76. Took a long time to get the last few too.

Not all the MPC big '70s Chevys are like this though. As I said above the '71 through '73s have this detail but the '74 to '76 doesn't.

Here's a side by side shot of my '73 next to my '75. Maybe you can see what I mean there but it is hard to tell in this pic. But you can easily see it if you compare one of your earlier '70s classic hardtop Impalas to one of the latter "Colonnade" top cars.

134 3404

Steve,

I agree that the box art should be corrected.  I understood what you were saying with your earlier post, and hopefully your photo clarifies it for others.  Most seem to use Bare Metal Foil for that area.  Maybe you can glue a small piece of bare wire at the top of each A pillar?  At least it's not a glaring error such as MPC's '76 Corvette convertible, '76 Satellite-based Road Runner, or Jo-Han's '74 442/Cutlass S and '75 Cutlass S with the incorrect grilles.

10 hours ago, Can-Con said:

New art and whoever did it still can't seem to take a look at an actual car. 🙄

The windshield pillars are covered completely with a piece of stainless steel trim. ALL GM full size hardtops of that generation were done this way. Why can't they seem to get this right?

1976 Chevrolet Caprice | Classic Cars for Sale - Streetside Classics

I don't know, that pillar looks pretty painted here...

1976 chevrolet caprice ad

1 hour ago, Daddyfink said:

By cranking up the contrast and saturation, it’s easier to see where the red painted roof stops and where the trim on the A-pillar begins. Bad lighting in the original photo paired with the reflective nature of the trim (reflects the red paint on its surface) creates an illusion of the passenger side A-pillar finished in body color, when in fact, it was clad in trim the whole time . 8197A435-3F08-42D6-B90E-BC0C6C42EE3B.jpeg.063f1ef2de71910776fe44ed8746a7d1.jpeg

I rest my case, and retire my tinfoil hat for the evening.

14 hours ago, Can-Con said:

New art and whoever did it still can't seem to take a look at an actual car. 

Looks like a stylized artistic almost cartoony version of 76 Glasshouse.

Does the box art really have to be 100% accurate representation of the 1:1,  wouldnt the contents of the box be more of concern. I mean isnt the purpose of the box art to be visually appealing to get ones attention.

8 hours ago, Daddyfink said:

1976 chevrolet caprice ad

You change the color of the vinyl on the roof and in the rub strip down the side and you'd have the exact 1/1 I had. I really miss that car. That reclining passenger seat back was great at the drive in.😈

But, yea, it does. But the pic of the convertible in the '71 brochure has square corners at the top of the windshield, and that's not right either. 

17 hours ago, Can-Con said:

It's correct on the '71 to '73 Impalas but the '74 to '76 body is different. 

Sounds like a detail which was never seen as important enough to correct by MPC back in the day. Now we know what to correct if desired. 🙂

Box art could be far worse, or more misleading, or...

amt-ertl-classic-1976-76-chevy_1_52043ecd492e917768a2f9cf532b1b4a.jpg.d0893a3b608ba478ec2d0b70b3ad30fc.jpg

872484700_s-l1600(1).jpg.8ab7a93411c537125d0acabc98b7af65.jpg

Honestly, this is just one of those kits where what's in the box is simply the last of the run after things were changed annually. Not the best detailed, not the worst, but if you want to build the last of the big Caprice coupes, this is a good $32 option.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Smoke Wagon said:

By cranking up the contrast and saturation, it’s easier to see where the red painted roof stops and where the trim on the A-pillar begins. Bad lighting in the original photo paired with the reflective nature of the trim (reflects the red paint on its surface) creates an illusion of the passenger side A-pillar finished in body color, when in fact, it was clad in trim the whole time . 8197A435-3F08-42D6-B90E-BC0C6C42EE3B.jpeg.063f1ef2de71910776fe44ed8746a7d1.jpeg

I rest my case, and retire my tinfoil hat for the evening.

Well, looks like Evergreen to the rescue! Thought I had really found something 

1976-chevrolet-caprice-classic-landau-4.jpg