Model Cars Magazine Forum

First WIP: A couple '32 Fords

Rinseman

Yeah, I know. Another 32 Ford topic. But, I think they're awesome and want to get started with something without too many complex curves.

The models finally arrived at the office, and I've gotten a rough start since last night.

So far I've channeled the body of the 5-window and chopped the Sedan. I hope I'm using these terms correctly.

I've been looking at these forums for inspiration since Christmas, and I think my first chop is coming along fairly decent. So a big thank you to everyone for posting their WIPs. I surely would have butchered these things without your help. Now I just need to work on my patience for the putty/sand/prime stages.

DSC_0177.jpg

Playing around with some stance and wheel options. A mix of kit, Jadatoys, Aioshima and Pegasus rollers.

DSC_0173.jpg

Channeled the body and in the process of lifting the trans tunnel. Right now, I'm not going for extreme accuracy, I'm more interested in the exterior aesthetics.

Haven't done any cutting on the roof yet. Wanted to see how the Sedan went first.

DSC_0179.jpg

These came off a Jadatoys VW Bus, they are huge. Might consider using the fronts as rears though.

DSC_0193.jpg

Did some cutting with a razor saw. I like the look of this set up. Not in love with the rubber bands that wrap the wheels off a Jadatoys '57 Belair, but the rims look cool painted black. I think anyway. The fronts are from a Lamborghini Gallardo, also painted satin black.

DSC_0208.jpg

Some progress on the Revell Chopper. I shortened the rake up front and got rid of all the cheese that came caked in chrome. No flames or crosses on this one.

DSC_0218.jpg

I used the idea of cutting down the doors to avoid extending the roof. It came out pretty clean. I hope I won't have to put weeks into prepping for paint.

DSC_0223.jpg

All glued up.

DSC_0227.jpg

So far. The powertrain is pulled from a 66 Buick Skylark I built back when I lived in LA. I don't even know if that makes sense, but it looks alright.

DSC_0228.jpg

I'm planning on going either flat black with some weathering, or gunmetal on this. The block with be painted with Testors Lacquer Lime Ice for some pop.

Haven't decided on a scheme for the 5-window yet.

DSC_0233.jpg

Turns out I didn't quite get the parts lined up perfectly. I'm leaving it for now, but I might crack it apart later.

Hopefully I'll keep this thread updated regularly, if there's any interest in a noob posting more 32 Fords.

Looks like your off to a GREAT start, I too love these '32s I have several of them in my stash. :D The Sedan looks really wicked I love a long low ride and it looks like you nailed it, the Buick motor will work great also... Keep it up I will definately be watching this one...

That Chopper looks very good so far. Like the engine of it. I have the same kit too, and it needs lots of modifications to look right to me (that means old school). Your Chopper is very interesting project, I'll be watching it. Nice work chopping the Fords also, but those wheels are awful. Can't wait to see more. :angry:

• 2 weeks later...

Work has been crazy, and I haven't been able to sit down and crank on this stuff. But, I've managed to fit some minor steps in. Starting to feel like I'm in over my head on these things. Especially in terms of setting up the suspension.

Here's where I'm at.

DSC_0247.jpg

First stage of sanding after a light primer coat.

DSC_0252.jpg

Decided to block out where I needed to sand and smooth the whole area with Testors Contour Putty. I still don't know if I saved or wasted time.

DSC_0253.jpg

It feels like there is progress though.

ptwo13.jpg

I saw this beast in Speedhunters' coverage of the Grand National Roadster Show, and decided to change up my plans for the stance of the 5-window.

DSC_0261.jpg

My first attempt at Z'ing a frame. Lesson learned here is to have the proper plastic for this, and use 1 piece instead of 4. Off to the hobby shop.

DSC_0272.jpg

This was the plan before. And the grill surround is way to tall.

DSC_0273.jpg

New goal and the fitted surround/shell. Still need to pull up the front for a more aggressive rake though.

DSC_0277.jpg

I decided to chop up the fasteners instead of sawing the whole thing (plus grill insert)in half. Not sure if this is an accurate mod, but it feels right.

DSC_0283.jpg

Where the sedan sits at the moment. Haven't touched to frame yet.

Hopefully more time will open up in the coming weeks.

To be honest, I haven't even thought about what needs to be done with the interior.

I'm not really good with planning anything. Right now, I want to get the bodies prepped and painted, so that I'm motivated to get the the rest of it finished. \

Thanks for looking and for the comments!

K

Slowly picking away at these. Found a stance I'm happy with on the 5-Window, now I just need to make it feasible, somehow.

DSC_0287.jpg

DSC_0290.jpg

DSC_0297.jpg

Got another coat of primer on the Sedan.

DSC_0306.jpg

Hopefully just one more round of sanding before I can get this painted.

Turns out, I only had to trim a little of the fronts of the door panels to get the interior to fit.

Floor is going through a serious butcher job to make room for the Buick Transmission.

I could smooth out the interior door line and rescribe, but for the size of the window openings, and my lack of caring, I'm not gonna bother for now.

More to come this weekend, finally.

• 1 year later...