Model Cars Magazine Forum

Micheals question?

Yes, they still do. But Michaels WON'T take certain coupons like AC Moore/Jo Ann's 10-25% off coupons unless it's their own... Same go's for the said places (except for the 40% offs).

I use Jo-Anns 25% percent off coupons all the time. Maybe it just depends on the store. I have even used Hobby Lobby's 50% off one item coupons.

I can't believe Michaels manages to sell models at all with the prices they have (unless you use a 50% off coupon). I'd rather pay less than even the coupon price and support my local hobby shop by special ordering it in through them. I've been dealing with the same one for a couple years now. $35 for what I can get for $12-15 at a LHS is too big of a difference.

I can't believe Michaels manages to sell models at all with the prices they have (unless you use a 50% off coupon). I'd rather pay less than even the coupon price and support my local hobby shop by special ordering it in through them. I've been dealing with the same one for a couple years now. $35 for what I can get for $12-15 at a LHS is too big of a difference.

What Michaels are you at that has a model kit for $35 bucks? The only kits that expensive are Semi kits? Also what hobby shop sells 35 dollar kits for 15 bucks?

If you go to Micheals.com and sign up for their e-mail list they send a new ad every week. In the ad is a link to their coupons, and one of the weekly coupons is always a 40 or 50% off any one regularly priced item. They send new ones every week. I just bought a Revell funny car yesterday there for $14.99. And you can use the coupons for anything, like nice paintbrushes.

What Michaels are you at that has a model kit for $35 bucks? The only kits that expensive are Semi kits? Also what hobby shop sells 35 dollar kits for 15 bucks?

Here in Ontario, Canada.

A lot are $29.99 and $34.99 at Michaels and I can special order the SAME Revell kits from my local hobby shop for say $15-20 (depending on how old the kit is, average for a brand new one from LHS would be say $25 and premium kits can get up around $40).

I've seen it on a few occasions, exact same kits for those two different prices between the two. Could be different in the states, i'm not sure. I don't think model car building is all that popular anymore around my area.

I've never had a problem with Michael's accepting competitor's coupons. I think I've used Jo-Anne Fabrics and Hobby Lobby coupons more than Michael's coupons. :D

I WISH Hobby Lobby accepted competitor's coupons, but they usually have the 40% off coupon every five weeks, so I can't really complain. :D

Here in Ontario, Canada.

A lot are $29.99 and $34.99 at Michaels and I can special order the SAME Revell kits from my local hobby shop for say $15-20 (depending on how old the kit is, average for a brand new one from LHS would be say $25 and premium kits can get up around $40).

I've seen it on a few occasions, exact same kits for those two different prices between the two. Could be different in the states, i'm not sure. I don't think model car building is all that popular anymore around my area.

[/quote

The highest price I've seen at Michaels for a 1/25th scale model car kit is $24.99. That is about what the MSRP is for a model kit at most hobby shops.

I don't buy any kits from Michaels. They inflate the prices so the "50%" seems like a good deal when, in reality, the 50% just gets it down to reasonable price. I just bought two Revell Midget kits at my LHS for $13.95 ea. I can get most of the Revell kits for $11 to $15. I am sorry if Michaels is your only choice, but if you have options, use them. Michaels and Hobby Lobby don't really care too much for the Hobby in general - they stock the same kits in every store across the US. They don't cater to localities or offer any special items. I am frustrated every time I go to one of the Big Boxes and expect something different, but they never surprise me.

Michaels and Hobby Lobby both carry kits at Revell and Round Two suggested retail price. The coupons DO make the kits more affordable. The LHS that charges less is doing good business in knowing that if you get the kit you might buy the accessories at FULL retail price. Is he really losing on the kit? Probably not. He is making it up on the accessories. Where, he does, in fact make more money.

I know for a fact that Michaels buys kits for 50% of what they sell them for. So if you get a 50% off coupon from them they make no money on the kit. Sounds like a good deal for the consumer.

Chris