Model Cars Magazine Forum

How can modelers pump out build after build???

Last year was a record for me I guess, I finished three models, the 72 hurst olds for a contest, rsx acura lowrider (acutally not done still needs radiator hoses and mirrors) and the Lil stogie. I was looking at the forum the other day and seen models already finished for 2011 and was wondering if i am obsessing to much on the details and not finishing enough builds. I have way to many started and not finishing anything. Just wondering if this is the same for a lot of other people out there or if Im just not working hard enough?

some people have slave labor in their secret lab cranking out the models while the rest of us try to get 2 or 3 done in a year! :P

It comes down to some folks can sit down at the workbench, have a clear vision of what they want to build and then blaze through it without problems.

For me I get bogged down in perfection and am distracted by multiple builds on the bench. I have some WIP from 15 years ago still in a box in the garage and I SWEAR this is the year they get done! :D

No, you're a slacker ( joking). a; Does it matter? Remember this is supposed to be fun, build at your own pace, whatever and whenever it makes you happy. My kids are all teenagers and up so the only time they want to know me is when they want something lol. I dont watch TV, the wife does a little, but has her own hobbies as well as the occasional build, so that where my building time comes from. I also cant work because of health issues so get a bit more time there as well. Others will have their own balances to juggle, the point again is to find what works for you and not worry about what the rest of us are doing (unless its buying up all the kits lol).

Since when does it matter how many models you can crank out in a given time span?

Personally, I build models because I like to do it. It's a hobby... a way to pleasantly spend some of my free time doing something I enjoy. The last thing I would care about is how many models I build. Why worry about the quantity of completed models?

some people have slave labor in their secret lab cranking out the models while the rest of us try to get 2 or 3 done in a year! :P

It comes down to some folks can sit down at the workbench, have a clear vision of what they want to build and then blaze through it without problems.

For me I get bogged down in perfection and am distracted by multiple builds on the bench. I have some WIP from 15 years ago still in a box in the garage and I SWEAR this is the year they get done! :D

Man that sounds like me to a t!!! especially bout the WIP for 15 years, i have plastic storage boxes in the garage full of partial builds, mostly paint that has been drying for years and years. Im just glad its just not me!

I've seen benches where it looks like an assembly line. A stack of chassis here, a pile of drivetrains there and various bodies packed in boxes. I, like so many others, have many projects started and always seem to start another. Occasionally I'll get a wild hair and just wrap up some of my previous starts and it looks like I've gotten a bunch done, when in all actuality, I'm just wrapping up alot of previously started mdoels thast have been sitting, in some cases, for many years.

Like has been said before, it's all about the fun of the hobby and not the quantity of builds you put out. As long as you enjoy the hobby, at the end of the day, that's all that matters. After all, who cares how many you actually finish? :D

I can definitely understand where you are coming from on this subject.

I just got back into modeling and as of this year, so far have worked on exactly, nothing.

Got something sitting on my bench but I can't even remember what it is, what colors I was going to use or anything.

It does get frustrating sometimes.

I finished four last year, started two others and worked on numerous projects like resin masters, stripping paint from builders, and so on. Four is a record for me since I returned to the hobby 10 years ago. If I could have remained focused those other two would have been completed as well. It's all about having fun and I had plenty.

I do have a little more time since my kids are practically grown now. I have one in college and the other is graduating from HS this spring. Depending on how tired I am from work and family obligations I try to spend an hour at the bench each evening after my wife and daughter go to bed. I am a night owl so this is fairly easy for me. If you try to focus on one aspect of the build each session, it will come together in no time. Just don't stress out about it and have fun regardless of how few or how many you crank out.

Since when does it matter how many models you can crank out in a given time span?

Personally, I build models because I like to do it. It's a hobby... a way to pleasantly spend some of my free time doing something I enjoy. The last thing I would care about is how many models I build. Why worry about the quantity of completed models?

While Darren sounds like he'd like to complete more- and honestly, who wouldn't, I think perhaps the spirit of the question is more how is it done, not necessarily "I want to do this myself."

The clarity of vision alluded to does probably help. If you know you want A-B-C, it come to being. Similarly, if you're not quite sure what you want, that model may sit for a while until It's done and ready.

For some people, it's the amount of time they have- that certainly affects the speed at which you build. Re-allocation of time isn't always possible, so you do as much as you can.

Also- productivity is key to being happy. I can vouch for productivity leading to happiness, although for different reasons. Everyone defines productivity differently. Some at the speed they build, some the quality. Some are people who have discovered how to produce quality and quantity together. If you simply wish to find out how to get more accomplished, and accomplished well, which, for whatever reason, will increase your satisfaction, there's no harm in doing that, either.

Charlie Larkin

• Like 1

For me, I just get this psychotic urge to do something, ANYTHING, model-related, and just kind of go with the flow from there. Yeah, sometimes the motivation just isn't there, but I try to build as much as I can, because I'm constantly getting new ideas, and I'm the type of guy who can't rest until I see that idea, at least some of it, as a three-dimensional object.

Thanks Dave! I'm really starting to believe as I'm as good as everybody says they think I am. :(

One other item about the 'motivation' thing. Too may people try to force it. If you're not 'feeling it', don't bother. When you try to force motivation or inspiration, you're automatically setting yourself up for failure. Yeah, it might mean less time at the bench, but in the long haul it means the time you DO spend at the bench will be FUN and PRODUCTIVE... the way it should be.

I bought like 30 kits last year, does that count?

I started three models last year, one was a replica of my dad's old 77 GMC stepside which I have about 95% finished and just never got back to doing after we moved. The other was a Ferrari Enzo kit which I have about 70% finished and again, didn't finish it after the move.

In November I started a 60 Impala built that's about 50% finished and currently on the bench. Just getting back into it and hoping I get some more free time to build, I am not the type to put 15 mins in here and there. If I can't sit down for a couple hours un-distrubed and just build then I don't bother. Hence why very little has been accomplished.

I think the when we see people who build crazy numbers yearly, I think these people have an abundance of something most of us lack. Time. They either are retired, unable to work, perhaps are single and thus don't have the daily grind that keeps us from the work bench when we'd rather be building. I'm not saying thats every case, but it's a likely scenario.

I don't worry about how many,how long or how many are started....I do what I feel I wanted to do.its suppose to be fun.it not a job.I know a guy who pumps out kits.....tons ever year.I can't compete with him on how many....and beside he does what he wants.soI would do what you want and try not to worry about how many others are finshing.thanks,Chris

it's all about making the most of the time that you do have too. i don't have hours to sit and just build and i think few people do. if i've got 15 minutes that i know i'm going to have i plan on what's the best way to use that time to keep a project going. could be painting or priming something and it could be something as simple as placing a pair if door handles. use the time wisely and you will get more accomplished than if you had that 15 minutes and blew it sitting there doing nothing. the other thing is to finish a session with an idea of what you want to accomplish the next time you have time.

Add up a few weeks of those 15 minute sessions and before you know, you have a finished build. It works.

I was just thinking the same thing. Well, not really.

I was thinking about how many models I do have in comparison to how many I have started in comparison to those I have finished.

I haven't finished a model in years - like 15 of them. I own well over 150 unbuilts. I probably started about 20 of them. But I still love this hobby. I still love interacting with other builders and friends.

I will organize my workbench one day. I will build again. Will I finish one? Who knows - I'm having fun!

When I first starting building again last year I didn't know all the things I can do to make my model look better (wired, polished paint scratchbuilding etc.) so I could blow thru them pretty fast, now that I'm trying new things and ideas it is taking me longer to finish a model, which is ok by me I like the finished product better.