Model Cars Magazine Forum

Engine choice

i am building a kw t800h and i think its a 1990 + year model. it will be a heavy duty tri axle .i would like to use a high horsepower engine besides the 3408 cat that comes with the revell aussy 1/25 kw donor.what could i use.

thanks ronnie

I think Sour Kraut has a resin Series 60 Detroit Diesel and the Cummins N14 available. These should both be period correct and could be big horsepower for that time period as well.

http://sourkrautsmodeltrucks.com/?page_id=3&category=5

Oh I guess Ben beat me to the post! LOL! The Signature 600 was not available in the early nineties

Edited by ad2191a

Ronald

A Revell 3406 would be ok to use or the twin turbo NTC Cummins in the 359 R/G kit. Clint Freemen had an M11 and an N14 if I'm not mistaken. Those would be good to use if you could find them. An L10 was considered a moderate duty engine. Not a high horse or high touque basically an engine for an LTL spec'd truck. I have a T600 on the back burner now I built using reference of a 1:1 1988 T600. In that I just used the Revell 3406. I'm not sure if anyone offered the 444 Cummins in resin kit form. From my understanding that was supposed to be a heavy hitter but I heard it was a turd that would blow up frequently!!! In 1990 the Series 60 was brand new. I was in diesel tech in 91 and my Detroit/Mack instructor said that the engine is so new the school couldn't get ahold of one for the curriculum. I believe the KTA's were out of production by 1990 ???

If it was my call I'd use the twin turbo NTC or the 3406.

Good Luck.

Edited by Semi Trailer Mechanic

1985 was the last year KTA's and the V8 cats were in over the road trucks due to smog restrictions in the U.S. i believe 1981 was the last year you could get the KTA or V8 in a KW as they discontinued their extended hoods when they started producing the W900 untill 1990 when the 007 W900L came out. the cummins 444 did have a few problems, most do to guys changing the buttons in the fuel pumps to give it way to much fuel and crankin up on the rail pressure. but they were most definately a force to be reckoned with, they could take on the big 425 cats and thats saying something for that time period. lol and im a cat lover!! B):DB):rolleyes::lol:

thanks for the help fellas.what year did the cummins sig 600 become available ? i have dug around and could not find .

ronnie

The original Signature 600 was released in 1998 I believe and the more common ISX Cummins 600 was introduced around the spring of 2000 I believe. The ISX replaced the N14 and tha original Signature 600 was sort of an interim engine that served as the prototype you might say of the ISX engine.

Edited by ad2191a

As far as Cummins engines go, this is what I've been able to find out:

L-10 - 1982 - 1998

ISL - 1999 - Present

M11 - 1994 - 1999

M11 Plus - 1996 - 1999

ISM - 1999 - Present

N14 - 1992 - 2002

Signature 600 - Introduced in July 1997

ISX - ~1999 or 2000 introduction

If it were my T800 (which it's not), I'd go for the N14; but I think either the N14, 3406E, or Series60 would be appropriate.

Would a Caterpiller C15 be appropriate for this year of truck? When were the C12 & C15 introduced?

Edited by Jim B

Would a Caterpiller C15 be appropriate for this year of truck? When were the C12 & C15 introduced?

Cat introduced the C-10,C-12,C-15 and C-18 in 1999.The C-18 was never produced for trucks and was targeted for the off road market,The C-10and 12 where replacement engines for the 3176 engine and were now available in 2 different displacements,The first C-15's were nothing more than 3406E's with small updates in the fuel system and new valve covers the said C-15 on them.

In 2004,Actually mid 2003,Cat introduced ACERT(Advanced Combustion Emission Reduction Technology)This added variable intake Valve actuators,Dual intercooled turbos and new injectors,and sortware,to meet 2004 federal emissions,then in 2007 came out with there version of an EGR system where they took the recirculated gasses after the DPF (Diesel particulate filter).All in an effort to meet emissions.Dual turbos were only installed in the Heavy duty engines and the C-10,C-12 were increased in displacement and the became the C-11,C-13.These engines came without the traditional three valve covers,and were redesignedto use a single valve cover,which really made servicing the engines in some chassis very difficult,the C-15 also became the C-16 but still retained it's three valve covers.

Richard, thanks for that lesson on the C15. You wouldn't happen to know the "life cycle" of the 3406, would you?

I would have to pull my notebooks out of the attic to be exact but it is something like this:

3406A was the replacement for the 1693 in the truck market,It was introduced in the early 70'sAnd ran to around 79/80,maybe as late as 81.It was replaced by the 3406B and was the same basic engine as the "A model"It had an improved fuel pump and pump mounting,Both the A&B had JWAC (Jacket Water After Cooling) for anything over 350 horse,so the engines had an intake air aftercooler installed,This used engine coolant to "Cool" the air that was superheated by being compressed by the turbo.The Engine in the Revell snap kenworth and petes are A models,below 350 horsepower. staThe "B" model underwent Another change about 85/86 and PEEC was added.PEEC was (Programable Electronic Engine Control) and was Cats first attempt at elctronic engines,in the truck market.This was also about the time that they got away from JWAC and went to Charge Air Cooling(CAC).And all engines has CAC's installed,even lower horsepower engines. Shortly after that,maybe 88,along came the "C"model,and was just a "B" PEEC with updated ECM and software,but while the C was being produced you could still get a B.

Then The 3406E model was introduced in 1992,With the first serial #5EK00001,this ran for several years with minor changesand had several prefix changes in the serial #'s,until 1999 when it basicly became the C-15.

That is about what I can remember off the top of my head,I have been working on trucks since 1982,and have had the pleasure(or pain if you prefer)to work on all of these engines!