Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT 49 Olds?

There is a picture of an AMT 49 Oldsmobile custom at the following link

http://www2.odn.ne.jp/~cai80430/what'snew.htm

I cant find this model anywhere else and this site does not have the model for sale. Does anyone know if this model really is available and if so where would I but it?

Thanks

MLB

Edited by MLB

AMT-49OldsCustom.jpg

Picture looks a bit shabby, why is there a DOT behind 'Oldsmobile?

Boxart-style doesnt seem to be correct either, but correct me if I am wrong; When they did the black bar in top, they usually used pictures of real cars, not models. When they used models in the boxart, they didnt had the black bar:

1.jpg

8028bt.jpg

Although I already found exceptions...

The car in the boxart of the Olds is definately an Oldsmobile, but I've never seen it been made by AMT

Ertl popped that model as a Die Cast collectable. Mine came as a Buffalo Bills football team car. I stripped it and repainted it in Black with Cragars. It came out very nice. You DO have to fill the slot for the coins,(it's in the trunk lid) but all in all, it DOES make a VERY COOL and unusual model. I found mine at a flea market for about 8 bucks.:D;):);)

Dave, Mine is 25th scale. I measured it up with the AMT 52 and other than the wheel base, ALL the parts fit the Olds. It IS A REAL shame they never popped this one in plastic. ALOT more kids know of OLDS than Hudson, that silly movie DIDN'T change ANY KIDS mind of what is cool. I PERSONALLY don't know ANY teens that went to see it, ONLY little kids.

AMT dropped the ball big time when they cancelled the Olds and the Studebaker. They would have sold like wildfire. Look at the 53 hudson Mobius is doing.

I have to disagree, Lee. I don't see a '49 Olds as being a perennial best seller, even though I'm sure many in the 45 year old plus age group would love to see one. :rolleyes:

Which Studebaker kit was announced and never happened? Pics would be nice, too. :blink:

ALOT more kids know of OLDS than Hudson, that silly movie DIDN'T change ANY KIDS mind of what is cool. I PERSONALLY don't know ANY teens that went to see it, ONLY little kids.

Uhhh, George. You've lost it, dude.

"Cars" was released in 2006 ... FIVE YEARS AGO. Those 'kids' are teens now. And "Cars" has been a continuous big seller in DVDs, kids' clothing, games, toys, collectibles, ... virtually every branded product.

Most of those 'kids' attended the theater showings with parents or grandparents ... who have incomes and spend money.

A sequel, "Cars 2" is scheduled to be released in June (2011 ... yes, THIS year!). The release of "Cars 2" will no doubt refuel the frenzy! And, not only 'kids,' but the teens who still love the original "Cars," will rush to the theaters. With their parents and grandparents. And their money.

Everyone who has seen "Cars" and will see "Cars 2" loves Doc, the Hudson. In both his NASCAR persona but also in his "retired" clothing.

So, I think you're way wrong. I think Dave Metzner and the Moebius team have their fingers firmly on the pulse of a marketing gold mine. Release of the factory stock Hudson in April will start the fire with those of us in the lunatic fringe, and timing it a couple of months ahead of the release of "Cars 2" will give them an opportunity to be ready for the second wave that will no doubt follow the new movie.

Very, very astute and clever, those Moebius guys!

*The only thing they could do that's even smarter will be to crank out a snapkit version when "Cars 3" comes out in a few more years!

:huh:

Just to add to the confusion the car pictured on the supposed AMT box art is a '50 Olds 88 club coupe, not a '49! It is an ERTL 1/25th (NOT 1/24th) diecast that is available in many different promotional and souvenir paint schemes, with and without a coin slot in the trunk. They turn up on ebay frequently. Another company did make a 1/24th or 1/25th diecast '49 that is not as accurate, with an opening hood and engine detail.

Here's the one I stripped and repainted awhile back. It was in blue and yellow Federated Auto Parts markings, with white letter tires, chrome steelies, and roll bar as a fictitious stock car racer. Ordinarily I wouldn't waste time with a diecast, but the authentic profile of this model and the fact that it was 1/25th convinced me that it was a keeper!

Olds884-vi.jpg

I have to disagree, Lee. I don't see a '49 Olds as being a perennial best seller, even though I'm sure many in the 45 year old plus age group would love to see one. :D

Which Studebaker kit was announced and never happened? Pics would be nice, too. :huh:

Well, at 50, I fit that demographic! ;) They announced a 50 Studebaker at the same time. Big mistake AMT.

Dave, Mine is 25th scale. I measured it up with the AMT 52 and other than the wheel base, ALL the parts fit the Olds. It IS A REAL shame they never popped this one in plastic. ALOT more kids know of OLDS than Hudson, that silly movie DIDN'T change ANY KIDS mind of what is cool. I PERSONALLY don't know ANY teens that went to see it, ONLY little kids.

The Movie is what got me Interested in the Hudson. :D:)

I'm still a kid at heart.

Nice work on your Olds John

I get Diecast if I can't find it in Plastic.

I don't really think the Olds would be a blockbuster, but then again...the basic car doesn't do much for me (I'd rather have a fastback Caddy or Buick..in fact, wouldn't even need to be a fastback, I just like the Caddy & Buick a lot more). The Stude was much more controversial and unique...it was laughed at when they were merely used cars. I'd love a kit of that. I think the Hudson would be a lot more popular than the Olds...again, w/today's market, unique is good, but Hudsons are well-known and the movie and stock car connections make it even better. There were rumors at one time AMT was thinking about a Tucker...neat idea, not sure about commercial success...not many ways to make multiples out of that, but making a really cool street rod/custom variation would help.

I have one of the diecast Olds banks, they seemed to be everywhere and dirt cheap...as others have shown, a little bit of rework and they look great.

CARS is a CARTOON! FOR CHILDREN, it's NOT a type of movie that one would NORMALLY go to see, unless they go with or have kids. I DON'T think any TEENAGERS , the kind that build models, would bother with it . Most of the young men of THAT age preffer tuners an foriegn jobbies.THEY preffer movie like Fast an Furious an those kinds of action car movies. All I was trying to say, is the the new Hudson that Moebius is releaseing is more aimed at US OLDER builders as opposed to children, who's only idea of a Hudson is from a cartoon. Plus, with it's parts count, it'll scare more than a few kids!:D;):):huh: Just my humble opinion, that's all.;)

Yes I have seen it. Wouldn't spend money to GO see it, but it's been on cable and my grandaughter likes it, so yes, i HAVE seen it. I guess it's just me then, because at 57 I don't car too much for cartoons anymore, that's all. If you still enjoy them, that's good, because it would be a VERY boring world if we all thought the same.:unsure:

CARS is a CARTOON! FOR CHILDREN, it's NOT a type of movie that one would NORMALLY go to see, unless they go with or have kids. I DON'T think any TEENAGERS , the kind that build models, would bother with it . Most of the young men of THAT age preffer tuners an foriegn jobbies.THEY preffer movie like Fast an Furious an those kinds of action car movies. All I was trying to say, is the the new Hudson that Moebius is releaseing is more aimed at US OLDER builders as opposed to children, who's only idea of a Hudson is from a cartoon. Plus, with it's parts count, it'll scare more than a few kids!:lol: :lol: :unsure::D Just my humble opinion, that's all.;)

There's never anything humble about any of your opinions, George.

It's too bad you've never seen "Cars." First of all, if you saw it and allowed yourself to understand and appreciate it, you'd realize it has a really very sophisticated storyline with valid underlying moral messages, every bit equivalent to and worthy of the traditional Aesop's fables. Its efficacy is difficult to explain to someone who hasn't seen it. The real beauty of "Cars" is that it appeals on many levels to open-minded people of all ages. It is and will long be a true classic. Even without Shakespearean actors, an epic budget, or a cast of thousands.

Too bad you don't appreciate it. You don't even know what you're missing.

;)

I understand your passion over it, after all, it IS about cars. But it IS JUST a cartoon, nothing more, or less. It'll never be a serious adult oriened Motion Picture, it's a CARTOON. But, if you still enjoy cartoons, there's NOTHING wrong with that, I still enjoy old King Features Popeye Cartoons. And Danno, I really don't see the need to emphasize your meanings. I've said repeatedly, that they WERE just MY opinions. We all have them, just like we all have or should have, RESPECT for others opinions. As i do yours.:D

Actually, I (plus wife & no kids) liked Cars. It's not a "cartoon". A cartoon is shallow entertainment. I feel that Cars was about the loss of a different time and place in America... a simpler, more relaxed time as depicted in small towns along the infamous Route 66. I doubt "kids" would get that. Plus, the visual perks! Mountain ranges shaped as '59 Caddy fins... tire tracks in the cloud formations... if you didn't see that, then you didn't see it.

Uhhh, George. You've lost it, dude.

"Cars" was released in 2006 ... FIVE YEARS AGO. Those 'kids' are teens now. And "Cars" has been a continuous big seller in DVDs, kids' clothing, games, toys, collectibles, ... virtually every branded product.

Most of those 'kids' attended the theater showings with parents or grandparents ... who have incomes and spend money.

A sequel, "Cars 2" is scheduled to be released in June (2011 ... yes, THIS year!). The release of "Cars 2" will no doubt refuel the frenzy! And, not only 'kids,' but the teens who still love the original "Cars," will rush to the theaters. With their parents and grandparents. And their money.

Everyone who has seen "Cars" and will see "Cars 2" loves Doc, the Hudson. In both his NASCAR persona but also in his "retired" clothing.

So, I think you're way wrong. I think Dave Metzner and the Moebius team have their fingers firmly on the pulse of a marketing gold mine. Release of the factory stock Hudson in April will start the fire with those of us in the lunatic fringe, and timing it a couple of months ahead of the release of "Cars 2" will give them an opportunity to be ready for the second wave that will no doubt follow the new movie.

Very, very astute and clever, those Moebius guys!

*The only thing they could do that's even smarter will be to crank out a snapkit version when "Cars 3" comes out in a few more years!

:D

Alas there will be no Doc Hudson in Cars 2