Model Cars Magazine Forum

Model Cars Magazine #154

Gregg

Good luck Brother on takin care of that back, I was one of the lucky ones who went through the surgery and came out feeling great, I hope and pray that this will be your last and that you will resume all the activities with the family and friends.. as for you magazine i personally feel like a kid at christmas with each issue, you started this mag 10 years ago for the love of the Hobby and i have not missed one issue always look fwd to the next... please stay well and our prayers are with you and the family that all will work out in the end... anything we can do please feel free to ask...

E Ola, Pomaika kunane

Aloha

Tom

A BIG THANK YOU to Gregg for your reply.

At the NNL in Atlanta my granddaughter got a free subscription form.

We filled it out and sent it in.

I told her it would take a while to get the first one.

She bugged me about it for a while,well it came.

Mon Jan 31'st 2011,the fact that it was the Nov 2010 issue,

did not matter.

Like Gregg said if you don't like it move on instead of complaining about it.

He did say it in a nice way.

A PM to Gregg would have been the right way to find out what the problem was.

The only thing I can say is try to start your own Mag.

See how that works out.

At least you will get your copy on time.

I will pray for your health to get better Gregg

I had a bad lumbar muscle in my back once from a wreck that I had.

So I know about the things you can not do with a bad back.

As for those who says that a bad back is no excuse,has never had a bad back problem.

Late or not.I hope you can keep putting the Mag. out.

Another thing that the complainers may not think about is the FACT that at any given time Gregg

can say NO MORE because like he said.

Its his baby and he runs it the best way that he can under the circumstances.

Keep up the good job Gregg and most of all I hope you get better soon.

Earl Miler

I'm always surprised with something in every issue and will never stop my subscription. The latest arrived a day or so ago in pretty good condition .. the USPS shredders must be down! :)

In addition to the diecast 924 Porsche Carrera GT review (I had 5 924/944's), The Revell 67 Dodge Charger review sparked my interests. My best friend that I grew up with, he was always Roy Rodgers and I had to be Jingles, had a 67 Charger as his first car. He had a dictator for a father and rarely got to use it. His Dad's '60 Mercury was getting old and he NEEDED the Charger to get to the New Hampshire horse tracks. It was an ugly light green and had no options other than the huge engine for speed to the tracks. We rarely got to go enjoy it as the teens we were, but I did christen it after his sister's wedding as all the wine we snuck deposited itself in my lap. Was a long tour of the car wash to get THAT evidence out. I don't think he was allowed out of the house for a month after that! :huh: Anyway, I don't NEED another build.. but ..

Edited by Foxer

I've had back pain since a motorcycle accident in 2001. A guy made a left turn into me - caught me between the shifter and front fork. The impact sent me flying up and through my windshield, did a rated 10 somersault (witness testimony) while in the air and landed flat on my back. Concussion and 7 broken ribs.

Yesterday I trimmed a bunch of trees with limbs as large as 8" diameter. The larger stuff I hauled to my neighbor for use in his fireplace. The smaller stuff will get loaded on the trailer and hauled to the landfill.

I held off waiting for the elves to show up and do the work but got tired of waiting, so I did it myself. Sometimes you just need to bear the pain and get the work done.

Yes, I know back pain. I already popped a prescription ibuprofin before I go out and start loading that trailer.

Well thanks for a reply Gregg, I know it's painful in more ways than one. There's nothing I'd like to see more than your 'baby' become a viable, money-making powerhouse. Harry has surely demonstrated that he's fully capable of taking it to that level if you ever decide to pass it on-with your vision of the product intact.

Having a forum for us to yap on is great but it's not paying your light bill-the opposite in fact. I subscribe to the mag much like supporting your LHS-a small expense in the hope it will help the endeavor grow and prosper. AND NOT DISAPPEAR.

Extending the benefit of the doubt to those who complained loudest, I think they too want to see a strong mag. I'm sure many would like to contribute to a strong, viable, quality mag -not only with subs ('shareholders') but with print material of the hugely talented work many of them do. The lateness of issues was just a sign to them that wasn't happening and a disappointment.

Magazine publication can be likened to drag racing (among other sports). Sure it's a thrill to run 325MPH and the uniforms are cool. But above all IT'S A BUSINESS-and demands hard work and decisions 24/7 or else failure. Don't wreck yourself physically and fiscally trying to do it well-all by yourself.

I've had back pain since a motorcycle accident in 2001. A guy made a left turn into me - caught me between the shifter and front fork. The impact sent me flying up and through my windshield, did a rated 10 somersault (witness testimony) while in the air and landed flat on my back. Concussion and 7 broken ribs.

Yesterday I trimmed a bunch of trees with limbs as large as 8" diameter. The larger stuff I hauled to my neighbor for use in his fireplace. The smaller stuff will get loaded on the trailer and hauled to the landfill.

I held off waiting for the elves to show up and do the work but got tired of waiting, so I did it myself. Sometimes you just need to bear the pain and get the work done.

Yes, I know back pain. I already popped a prescription ibuprofin before I go out and start loading that trailer.

Well it sounds like you are one of the lucky ones! You have pain it is still possible to work through! Others are not so lucky!

I'm lucky enough to be able to be on my feet 3 or 4 hours a day, if I spread them out enough and take enough pills the rest of the time between sitting or reclining. (can't lay down completely anymore! Liver panel tests aren't looking good these days either!

Gregg! Just do what you can when you can and take care of yourself! The true followers of MCM with stick with you no matter what! We're a family linked by our love of plastic!:D

I got one of the free subscriptions thingies when I won at the L.I.A.R.S show back in November... Mailed it out 6 days later though I would be getting it, but then found out the month issues are totaly out of order.

Called GBP (the MCM service number) and they said I would start out with the November issue (which comes out around mid-late january).

...well, it's february. WERE'S MAH MAG!!

So then I called them yesterday, and they said it's been mailed out last week... The kind lady on the phone said "You should be getting it by the end of this week".

If it dosen't arrive, the good news is they will send out another on if I call them.

Lets hope of the best...

No disrespect meant to the female gender, but next time a woman tells you that men have never experienced the pain of childbirth without anesthesia, I would suggest mentioning the trauma of throwing one's back out (happens to me about every 1-2 years and renders me unable to move or walk for about 3 days at a time; my wife just thoroughly enjoys bringing a pee bottle to my bed and emptying it), and for that matter, kidney stones.

I sympathize with Gregg and I understand how it makes the simplest of functions (such as lying still without pain) impossible to perform. The challenges must be immense when one suffers chronic problems over the years.

Just got #154 in the mail today, received in perfect, archive condition. Some stunning builds and good reviews in there, plus some tips on opening louvers that are new to me. Got a chuckle out of the Shopping Kart article, since I have quite a history of creating TV spots and promotions for Food City, employing their big cart using Earnhardts Sr. & Jr. as spokesmen for publicity surrounding the Food City 500 and 250 races.

FCbigcart.png

Edited by sjordan2

If you know of a way to run content that every single reader is 100% interested in every single issue, please let us know. That would sure be a neat trick. :angry:

Harry, meant no disrepect to you, Gregg or MCM. I've recieved a frw issues of both SA & MCM that had articles I didn't much care for, I've also recieved issues of both mags that did have articles I've liked (more that I liked then ones I didn't), I'm into drag racing as you can tell be my login name, F/C's & Pro-Mods are my overall favorites, not into Nascar, Indy or any of the 'turn left/right' type of racing, but I also must say I don't see much in either magazine on building/detailing Pro-Mods, F/C's yes, both mags have had how-to's on building/detailing F/C's, but I've seen more how-to's on Nascar & Ferrari's then Pro-Mod. Just take a look at how many issues (either mag)have some type of how-to (building,painting,decaling)on a Ferrari, now look & see how many issues (either mag) have something on Pro-Mods....NONE. I've looked at some of my back issues of SA with the Pit Pass photos, I can name 2 drag cars : Tony Schumachers Exide Edge T/F & Chuck Etchells owned/Whit Bazemore driven Kenall Camaro F/C, everthing else was a Nascar car or truck,sure all T/F & F/C's are basically the same with just different bodies & paint, but so are Nascars. Now don't take all this the wrong way, I love MCM & SA, I will continue to subscribe to both mags,but your remarks seemed a bit like a smart :rolleyes: to me, so I am responding in kind, as I said to start this no disrespect meant.

Harry, meant no disrepect to you, Gregg or MCM. I've recieved a frw issues of both SA & MCM that had articles I didn't much care for, I've also recieved issues of both mags that did have articles I've liked (more that I liked then ones I didn't), I'm into drag racing as you can tell be my login name, F/C's & Pro-Mods are my overall favorites, not into Nascar, Indy or any of the 'turn left/right' type of racing, but I also must say I don't see much in either magazine on building/detailing Pro-Mods, F/C's yes, both mags have had how-to's on building/detailing F/C's, but I've seen more how-to's on Nascar & Ferrari's then Pro-Mod. Just take a look at how many issues (either mag)have some type of how-to (building,painting,decaling)on a Ferrari, now look & see how many issues (either mag) have something on Pro-Mods....NONE. I've looked at some of my back issues of SA with the Pit Pass photos, I can name 2 drag cars : Tony Schumachers Exide Edge T/F & Chuck Etchells owned/Whit Bazemore driven Kenall Camaro F/C, everthing else was a Nascar car or truck,sure all T/F & F/C's are basically the same with just different bodies & paint, but so are Nascars. Now don't take all this the wrong way, I love MCM & SA, I will continue to subscribe to both mags,but your remarks seemed a bit like a smart :angry: to me, so I am responding in kind, as I said to start this no disrespect meant.

There are a lot of articles in MCM that feature subjects I'm not interested in, either. But I think the magazine does an excellent job of spotlighting builds and techniques that can be translated into the building of any car subject.

No disrespect meant to the female gender, but next time a woman tells you that men have never experienced the pain of childbirth without anesthesia, I would suggest mentioning the trauma of throwing one's back out (happens to me about every 1-2 years and renders me unable to move or walk for about 3 days at a time; my wife just thoroughly enjoys bringing a pee bottle to my bed and emptying it), and for that matter, kidney stones.

I sympathize with Gregg and I understand how it makes the simplest of functions (such as lying still without pain) impossible to perform. The challenges must be immense when one suffers chronic problems over the years.

A bit off topic, but I've been told by several women who have given birth that kidney stones and an abcessed tooth are much worse than giving birth! I had a bad tooth a few years back, and the pain was all I could think of! We're talking all-encompassing, exquisite, please-god-kill-me pain here, and this was only for about a day or so! I've never had kidney stones or thrown my back out, but people who have always say they're 'not something you'd like to try'. As a guy who wines over a hangnail, I applaud people who can function with any sort of pain like that. I think if I were in Gregg's shoes, I'd have just said "Ah, screw it!" a long time ago and told the doctor to pump me full of the best opiates Blue Cross would allow.

Harry, meant no disrepect to you, Gregg or MCM. I've recieved a frw issues of both SA & MCM that had articles I didn't much care for, I've also recieved issues of both mags that did have articles I've liked (more that I liked then ones I didn't), I'm into drag racing as you can tell be my login name, F/C's & Pro-Mods are my overall favorites, not into Nascar, Indy or any of the 'turn left/right' type of racing, but I also must say I don't see much in either magazine on building/detailing Pro-Mods, F/C's yes, both mags have had how-to's on building/detailing F/C's, but I've seen more how-to's on Nascar & Ferrari's then Pro-Mod. Just take a look at how many issues (either mag)have some type of how-to (building,painting,decaling)on a Ferrari, now look & see how many issues (either mag) have something on Pro-Mods....NONE. I've looked at some of my back issues of SA with the Pit Pass photos, I can name 2 drag cars : Tony Schumachers Exide Edge T/F & Chuck Etchells owned/Whit Bazemore driven Kenall Camaro F/C, everthing else was a Nascar car or truck,sure all T/F & F/C's are basically the same with just different bodies & paint, but so are Nascars. Now don't take all this the wrong way, I love MCM & SA, I will continue to subscribe to both mags,but your remarks seemed a bit like a smart :blink: to me, so I am responding in kind, as I said to start this no disrespect meant.

The simple answer is: we can only run the stuff that we receive!

MCM doesn't have "staff writers;" we don't assign anyone a particular topic to write about.... almost all of the articles and features (besides the regular monthly columns–Trucks, Collector's Corner, Resin, etc.) come from you guys–the readers! And it's the people who are submitting the material that are deciding on what topic they want to write about.

I can't run pro-mod features unless pro-mod features are submitted!

I haven't seen an SA or SAE for years and don't need/want to as long as MCM continues. I appreciate what Gregg, Harry, and whoever are doing for the hobby through the magazine and this forum. Sure, I'd like to have the magazine on time, but I'm not going to go beat someone over the head because I don't have it. Shoot, it took a month for a MCM T-shirt to get here - but I finally got it, and will be wearing it Saturday at JaxCon2011.

I just want to ease in here and make a few observations... To me, it's a matter of perspective, i.e. what's really important, what's really worth getting into a snit and wasting valuable energy in getting angry and fretting over a late magazine. I consider myself to be the luckiest person in the world. Why? Because I live in a country that has free press! It could be much MUCH worse, how much, Google 'North Korea' or 'China' if you want to see the worst. These protests in the Egypt and the Middle East? People are tired of not having a say, they're tired of being without, they don't have such wonderful goodies as MCM and this forum, they're lucky they're not starving to death, well, many of them are...

If a person can rant, rave and throw a fit because their model magazine is late, I have this to say to them: You ARE the luckiest person in the world! If this is the only thing you have to worry about, and it has to be, otherwise why would a logical, intelligent person put this much effort into getting upset over a late magazine?... if this is the biggest issue that you have to be concerned with, then I want your life because NOTHING is going wrong and you obviously have nought to worry about! Well done in gaining that level of control over your life!

Right now, I'm in a similar boat as our fearless leader, Gregg. My hat's off to you, Kaikua'ana (Hope my translation is right, that's supposed to be 'brother'!), as I wouldn't have the wherewithal to keep following through with the magazine and forum as you have. My back is destroyed AND I suffer from an auto-immune disorder that causes my immune system to ATTACK and destroy my connective tissues and muscle structure. I can go down Greggs' list and check of most of the items and issues he listed... I know what it's like to get out of bed, take two steps, scream like a little girl and pee yourself on the way to the floor because the pain is that intense! Right now, I consider myself blessed to be able to get to the hobby shop and come home with the latest issue of MCM, regardless of how 'late' that issue might be. I'll be living relatively high on the hog when I can scrape together enough money to buy a subscription!

In closing, I'm not trying to start a flame war or anger anybody or leave anyone with hard feelings and this is not aimed at any one particular party. All I want to do is to give a little perspective. I'm not trying to make the Magazine seem unimportant because, to me it is important BUT, if it's a bit late, so be it. you can't sweat the small stuff.

Out of all the forums I have visited, this is by far my favorite. It does feel like family. I asked JustBill a while back if he had plans for the cargo box and lift gate off of the Louisville that he is currently converting to a rollback, that was all I asked... He said, "I have no plans for them, if you want them, send me your address and I'll send them to you." I had never talked one-on-one to this man before and he simply gave me the parts! Didn't even ask me to cover postage. I have blood relations that wouldn't do that for me... So yes, it does feel like a big extended family here. Gregg, Keep doing what you're doing. You are in my prayers, things will improve.

Thanks for the space to vent!

Edited by Wagoneer81

I just purchased and read the November issue. While it was pretty decent overall, I was disappointed that one of the articles (Ferrari F40) is a reprint from another magazine. It's a good article - in fact, really good - but when there are only a few articles per magazine getting a duplicate is disappointing. The other magazine was from England but I purchased it at Hobbytown USA - so it's not like an unavailable publication in the US.

Also, the iHobby coverage is by now a little "old news".

I haven't received my copy of #154 yet here in NW Arizona, but I'm out at the mailbox with great anticipation every day. I really don't care what the month says on the magazine as long as it arrives and gives me some enjoyment. I have owned my own business for 15 years so I can relate to Gregg and this magazine and forum being his "baby". Like him I work hard to provide a quality service to my customers, but you can't please everyone all the time. If people don't like the work I do they can go elsewhere, if you are not happy with the magazine you could also go elsewhere. It's just a magazine and it's just a HOBBY, nothing more, nothing less!

I just purchased and read the November issue. While it was pretty decent overall, I was disappointed that one of the articles (Ferrari F40) is a reprint from another magazine. It's a good article - in fact, really good - but when there are only a few articles per magazine getting a duplicate is disappointing. The other magazine was from England but I purchased it at Hobbytown USA - so it's not like an unavailable publication in the US.

Also, the iHobby coverage is by now a little "old news".

The F40 build is also on Alex Kustov's website, but that's okay. Gold is where you find it. For me, having multiple pictures of a master's work on a hard-copy page layout actually makes a build journal easier to follow, without scrolling or clicking.

Well, I for one think 154 is a great issue, even though I don't have much use for Ferraris and even less use for dinky die casts.

But, those articles float someone's boat and that's good enough for me. They probably whine about all the space taken up by truck models, customs, or that "once every three/four years emergency vehicle article" that I so enjoy.

:lol:

Now I've got to get back to gathering vintage, period-specific red lights and sirens. I hear there's a Hudson coming soon!

It's a good issue.

I wish I could agree but alas, the USPS has yet to deliver mine. I got excited seeing it at a hobby shop the other day and almost bought it (jonesing that baddddddddd!) but had confidence that it would be waiting for me when I got home today, but noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo! (sorry,I just channeled John Belushi there for a moment!).

I did pick up a copy of Fine Scale Modeler as some mentioned in the chat room that it had an article about resin casting that was very helpful. I plan to read it on the airplane tomorrow and with any luck, my MCM will be waiting for me when I return next week.