Model Cars Magazine Forum

Model Cars Magazine #154

What I do miss, is Gregg and his point of view. There have been now 2 topics with people that are dissatisfied with the magazine, yet Gregg has not given a defence, his opinion or just a notice of reading.

But there has been made a new topic today with some appraisel for the latest magazine and Gregg did replied there.

I don't want to provoke anything, but I think it would help if Gregg did enter the discussion, shared his opinion and let us know why it appeared late or why choose to do something that particular way.

Just my 2 cents B) No pun intended towards anybody.

Posting the reasons that explain why the magazine date does not match the calendar would do nothing to make it better. Having Gregg join the conversation also provides no resolve, only gives focus to the naysayers and complainers. Gregg posted in the other thread simply to give Harry, a hard worker and mostly silent contributor to the process, some much deserved credit.

Most of you have already heard the reasons before. They have been stated time and time again and yet you all seem to think YOU would have the answer if you were in charge... (and most would result in a more expensive product, but not necessarily better.)

Gregg fights long and hard to keep the cost down, the quality up and is trying to get it caught up to the best of his abilities.

The magazine is what it is! Just be grateful that we have it, because if my ONLY inspiration and "source of reading room" hobby material has to be FSM and SA... then I WILL totally give up the hobby once and for all, believe you-me!

Just trust that Gregg reads all these posts and threads.

I know he does because two days ago he asked me on the phone about one of our more "vocal members" here. :D

Management staying out of the fray demonstrates a "taking the higher ground" stance in my opinion.

So... that said.... carry on. B)

I wonder how well it would go over if subscribers to MCM paid their subscriptions three months late? I'm willing to bet there would be an interuption in their service. Then again,the subscribers probably wouldn't even notice it. :lol: The people that subscribe to MCM deserve some sort of explanation from Gregg,be it whatever. It might keep people from cancelling their subscriptions. Well worth the price IMO.

But you don't know what you've got til it's gone!

But if he did pull the plug I doubt the complainers would give it a second thought and just move on to the next site or publication and find something there to complain about!:rolleyes:

Oh but I do Mark! A whole lit more but I also know what physical issues he is having are like and I also know the frustration it brings when you are trying to accomplish somthing and it holds you back!

I also know what it like to have people trashing on what you are trying to accomlish and the frustrashion it brings! A person just gets fed up at some point! There is only so much of it a person wiling to take before they say the heck with it! How many times has this same type of thread appeared in the month or two?

Maybe he won't reach that level, but you nor I or anyone else can say it will never happen!

As far as MCM arriving damaged. that is in no way the fault of the magazine! I guarantee you the magazines leave the printer in perfect condition. What happens to them after they leave the printer and enter the USPS system is not the fault of the magazine!

However, even though the magazine can't control the shipping/mailing process, they will replace any issue that arrives damaged. All you have to do is call them (the number is on the masthead) and they'll mail you a replacement copy, no charge–even though it's not their fault!

The lateness thing... well, that's a whole 'nother story... :o

Thanks for the info Harry. I know it is in no way MCM's fault. I have been a subscriber for a while, this month was the first damaged issue. The USPS doesn't make any restitution for their sorting machines chewing up your mags (I've received several over the years). I appreciate MCM's replacing damaged copies. :lol:

Recived my copy on Thursday(the27th), no problem with the condition of the mag.Sent a e-mail to Gregg asking about, it being as Jan. was almost over & hadn't recieved it, & of course wouldn't you know, got it in the mail the same day. Don't really like the fact that it comes late but I'll put up with it, as long as I do get it.I know it can't be that easy putting something out on time, all the time, I've even recieved my some issues of SA late & some of those issues are sometimes damaged, but I also will say that I've never had to ask for a new issue from either MC or SA, I also say that I didn't think this issue was really all that good, nothing that I was really into in this issue, but I'll continue to subscribe to both.

...but I also will say that I've never had to ask for a new issue from either MC or SA, I also say that I didn't think this issue was really all that good, nothing that I was really into in this issue...

If you know of a way to run content that every single reader is 100% interested in every single issue, please let us know. That would sure be a neat trick. :lol:

Amen. The bottom line here on it being late is important, if not as important as a paycheck being late. It's called perception of value. If I were a subscriber, which is not likely given the habitual lateness of the magazine & the tales of issues constantly being damaged, I would be expecting value for my money. You can blame the Post Office for damaged issues all you wish, if it's an ongoing problem with one particular magazine, then GBP needs to work on their end to see where the problem is. That's actual customer service, looking into & correcting a problem, not in replacing magazines continually.

As to the "so what, as long as you get it" attitude. if you don't do your job in a timely fashion, what happens to you? You get fired. I don't see anything wrong with expecting the same standards from others that are expected from me when I'm working for my pay, when I'm paying for something. In this case it is indeed the principle of the matter. We all bemoan how shoddy the work ethic has become, well that applies here as well. In this day & time there are no excuses for not having a consistent publishing schedule, & that's the real problem here, not in being behind, but in the publishing schedule being too erratic. Buying a subscription is payment for services rendered, thus if the services aren't rendered in a proper & timely manner, then people have a legitimate complaint.

I dropped by my local Hobbytown yesterday. They were sold out of SA, (which I got at B&N), had one issue of MCM #152 for sale, (which I already had, & which I have to say I didn't find all that impressive when I bought it some 4-6 or so months ago), & none of 153 or 154. I'm giving up on MCM for now. I'm not going to pay money upfront for a subscription in which I run the risk of receiving damaged goods that have to be replaced, (for free or not, again the principle of the matter), on a continual basis, I'm not going to pay money upfront for a magazine that is not only habitually behind, but has no set publishing schedule whatsoever, & I'm not going to make a special trip of over an hour one way in the vain hope that I might find an issue somewhere. If I drop by Hobbytown & I see MCM, great, I'll buy it. If not, I just don't really care anymore. It appears that some of the people behind editing & publishing it don't care if it's published on a regular schedule, if subscriber copies arrive undamaged, or if the magazine can be found outside of subscribing or from a select group of retailers, so why should I care if I buy it & thus support it or not? I'm the customer, (or used to be), & if I don't have access to it, then I'm no longer able to be a customer. Get the magazine out consistently & get it in venues where it can widely be purchased & I'll get every issue again. That's the bottom line.

Those of you that wish to defend Gregg, MCM, & GBP no matter what, that's great & it's certainly your right & prerogative to do so, just as those of us that are tired of the situation & excuses have the same rights & prerogatives to have a differing viewpoint. Remember, this is actually a forum for discussion, thus we are entitled to discuss the subject. Did you ever think that maybe, just maybe, if enough voices are heard that are upset, that Gregg & GBP might actually do something to properly address the situations?

Mark, you make some valid points and I'm sure some of the subscribers will agree with you while others just don't care. You're right about getting your work done in a timely fashion or risk the fate of being fired from your job and joining the ranks in the UNemployment line. I had mentioned the damaged issues bit with Gregg at an NNL about 3 or 4 years ago and he had told me that he was working on bags or envelopes to protect the issues like some other publications that I get. However it must be more economical to replace a few issues rather than bag all of them?

I had mentioned the damaged issues bit with Gregg at an NNL about 3 or 4 years ago and he had told me that he was working on bags or envelopes to protect the issues like some other publications that I get. However it must be more economical to replace a few issues rather than bag all of them?

Exactly. Bagging each issue would mean, first of all, buying the machinery to do so! And we're talking big money. So of course it's much cheaper for the magazine to offer free replacement copies every now and then to those who ask, than to bag every single issue up front.

I don't know enough about the actual shipping/sorting/mailing process to give you a good reason why MCM seems to get mangled more than other magazines do. If anyone out there has actual, hands-on knowledge of how or why this keeps happening (any USPS employees out there?), please let us know.

Got it, extremely late and damaged as usual. I cant believe you people who think it being late is no big thing. We are paying for a service here, and we have a right to timely and good condition goods for our $. I just wont sit back and let someone walk over me. Go ahead and kiss Gregg's rear. I'm not, and I know a few others here that feel the same way.

Thats one of the reasons that I do not subscribe to the magazine, for one i have a messed up mail box and if the mail man shoves it in wrong it destroys the cover, and in the summer for some reason the mail carrier uses my mags to hold all the mail in his hands and it looks as if it was used as a coaster. So i just pick it up at the lhs when it comes. And I love every page of it, it is the best mag out there for our hobby.

Edited by Darren B

So what if it's late? Now if you weren't getting it at all, then that would be a big deal. Yes it would be nice if it would come on time but at least it gets here.

I totally agree, yeah its upsetting that it comes when it feels like it, it seems but we all have to be appreciative that we have it, it Greg decided to give it up and no one else took over all we would have is the "other mag" which basically doesnt have any good content, last months was weaker than the one before and that one is bi monthly in reality. This argument can go both ways but for my two cents Im just happy to get a copy when it comes.

I don't even get why magazines (MCM and others) still bother with putting the month on the cover. This thread is called "Model Cars Magazine #154", not "Model Cars Magazine November Issue", after all! If you dropped the month altogether, and just went by the issue number, who'd even know it was overdue? Yeah, there would be some event and sale notices that would be outdated by the time you got the mag, but I've seen that happen quite a few times with other magazines? Can't really say I'm trying to defend OR condemn MCM's chronic tardiness, this is pretty much just a brain-fart ramble, but why even use the month when everybody refers to specific issues of MCM by their number much of the time anyway?

Exactly. Bagging each issue would mean, first of all, buying the machinery to do so! And we're talking big money. So of course it's much cheaper for the magazine to offer free replacement copies every now and then to those who ask, than to bag every single issue up front.

I don't know enough about the actual shipping/sorting/mailing process to give you a good reason why MCM seems to get mangled more than other magazines do. If anyone out there has actual, hands-on knowledge of how or why this keeps happening (any USPS employees out there?), please let us know.

Harry, I doubt you'll find many postal workers on a model car forum........maybe try an online gun forum. ;):D;):blink:

. Having Gregg join the conversation also provides no resolve, only gives focus to the naysayers and complainers. .

I disagree. He needs to face us and give some real explanations. I just dont buy the back problems as the real reason, and if they are, he needs to find someone who can take care of it.

The magazine is what it is! Just be grateful that we have it, because if my ONLY inspiration and "source of reading room" hobby material has to be FSM and SA... then I WILL totally give up the hobby once and for all, believe you-me!

Fine. I dont really think losing MCM the mag would be the worst thing, MCM the forum, yes, but not the mag, and if you are going to leave the hobby becasue the mag disappears, :blink: whatever

Just trust that Gregg reads all these posts and threads.

I know he does because two days ago he asked me on the phone about one of our more "vocal members" here. :rolleyes:

Management staying out of the fray demonstrates a "taking the higher ground" stance in my opinion.

So... that said.... carry on. :D

Gee, I wonder who this call was about? There are only 2 or 3 of us that qualify for that status. <ahttp://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/uploads/emoticons/default_tongue.png' alt=':P'>

Edited by midnightprowler

Harry, I doubt you'll find many postal workers on a model car forum........maybe try an online gun forum. :P:D:blink::rolleyes:

Im a Postal worker and i admit it.... lol

As for mags getting mangled it is all in the processing of the mags, they go through machines, no longer sorted by hand,only person that really handles your mag is the carrier who delivers it... when SA went from plastic bags to just labels my mags were a mess. MCM only came with labels so there was no changeover... The USPS is working daily to eliminate the tearing and the mangling of flats by continually upgrading the machines and the adjustment of the machines... me personally would love to see the mags back in plastic but the cost to do that is prohibitive...

OK my issue hasn't come in today's mail. I began to wonder if there was an error which might not show me as a subscriber. I wouldn't know that if nothing ever comes in the mail and no explanation that there are/will be delays, appears here. So I did something about it. I called Golden Bell.

A very nice lady, whose name I neglected to get, told me several things. She took my name and verified my sub and that number 154 was mailed from GBP a week ago Friday. I'm on the east coast so the pigeon must be tired from flying. She said #155 should be mailed in one week, barring any unseen delay. When I asked the source of the delays she said a combination of delays from GBP, the printer and the Editor/Owner.(not Harry) For instance, 154 was at the printers and not discovered there for 2 weeks. But nobody followed-up to verify progress.

Obviously, everybody needs to tighten up their act to get this out on a professional basis, to compete with other magazines and publishers. As well as satisfy subscribers (who can be considered 'shareholders') and advertisers.

But she did say GBP is striving to catch-up and resume the prescribed schedule. Assuming they get the material to do so. I did not raise the damage issue because I don't think the printer or GBP sends out pre-mutilated stuff. The post office guy said that he felt the USPS equipment is the source of that but, I get no other mags in bad condition and to be fair, my first edition of MCM arrived fine.

Recived my copy on Thursday(the27th), no problem with the condition of the mag.Sent a e-mail to Gregg asking about, it being as Jan. was almost over & hadn't recieved it, & of course wouldn't you know, got it in the mail the same day.

And what was Gregg's response to your email?? You left out the most important part.

You know, five guys bashed pretty hard in this thread. I'm the only one who investigated the situation (for a valid reason) and posted factual answers to the problem. Over 50 views since my post and nobody has a comment????

That tells me the rough talk was a tactic and some guys just like to make a lot of noise on here without the effort to find a solution to the problem they're BASHING about.

Gregg probably wisely refrained from comment, knowing it would just be a shed-load of blather he doesn't need in his life. I'm sure he's aware of any thread on here with the magazine's name in it's title.

Cato,

I had called GBP several weeks ago and was told that the magazine was on the press and that it was shipping soon. I failed to post that information but the reality is that the magazine is late, again, and it will be that way until Gregg & Co. get caught up and make changes to the process.

Thank you for sharing your information that you were able to get from the office at GBP as it is encouraging to hear the December issue is going to be right behind the November issue. With the February issue being a contest issue, it could be possible for MCM to be back on track soon.

I just hope that my copy is waiting for me when I get home later this week but I won't hold my breath as my mailman must read it before he delivers it.

If you know of a way to run content that every single reader is 100% interested in every single issue, please let us know. That would sure be a neat trick. B)

I can think of one....coupons.......one freebie per section...plastic, resin, diecast,airbrush,.......that way the advertisers will get the product out, and with all the freebies, Mag sales will skyrocket among hobby enthusiasts....How to pay for freebies???...Sorry, I can fix almost anything made....check with the office upstairs :P :P

Got my issue today. Almost the whole thing read. This was a REALLY good issue. Lots of variety. I don't really build rat rods, but I liked Chucks tractor nose how to. Darin's vent opening trick is something I can use. The midget review was great. Jarius, well.. What a mind bender. I really enjoyed it. This one will reside in the bathroom for a while.

The damage this time was minimal. The bottom edge of the back page was tattered. I just moved, so it is not the mail man. Research I did with the mailing house I use with as vendor indicated that the cover stock is not compatible with the USPS mailing machines. They got this from their bulk USPS postal location in SoCal. The stock seems plenty thick. Could it be the direction of the grain is not allowing it to flex with the machines? WAG.

Scott

I usually don't respond to these posts, mainly because I don't like to get into my personal problems and issues of day-to-day living.

In a nutshell, it's like this.

Yes, I have a back problem.

Yes, a lot of other people also have back problems, sometimes "severe" back pain.

But, do you know what it's like to not be able to move or get out of bed until 3:00, p.m. sometimes?

Or, waking up in so much sweat, only to find out that it's not sweat?

Or, standing up, taking a step, and noticing that your legs refused to follow you, and you land face down on the floor, or more often than not, cracking your head or face on the side of the table?

Or, not being able to talk a walk with your wife anymore, sit in movie without rocking back and forth, upsetting everyone around you, and forget about flying anymore.

Or being on so much pain meds that driving is technically an illegal activity?

Yes, I have back problems

Five major back surgeries, so far.

The next one will be through the front, fuse the spine, flip me over, fix the broken screw/plate, and then go up, and down, one more level.

And then, of course, another year of meds, say goodbye to the liver my friend!

And to top it off, State Farm is denying the claim, which will leave us in about $135,000 in the hole for the surgeries, not counting the meds, therapy, and possibly another chair.

So, yes, I'm late, and I'm sorry

Why don't I pass the mag to someone else?

Well, it's my magazine.

I started it.

Over ten years ago.

There are not many out there who can say the same thing.

Yes, there are print on demand "magazines" out there, but it's not the same. Some even try to pass theirs off as a "book" instead of a magazine, go figure.

Yes, I know some of you are so pissed off, and complain every time the mag is late, and I'm sorry, truly sorry.

If you are really that mad, and upset, please email me and I will personally refund your unused subscription monies.

There are other reasons the mag is late, but that's being worked on.

We are not a huge publication company.

We do everything in house, or more to the point, Golden Bell Press prints, mails, and handles the subscriptions for MCM.

I do everything else.

I pay for this forum, from my own funds, not GBP, not subscribers, me.

Believe me, with the recent hack that we had, I am so far in debt it's not funny.

How much? It will surpass five grand easy when pau.

So why should you keep on reading MCM?

I can't tell you that.

If you don't feel that you are part of the MCM ohana, please have some respect, at least a little, and move on.

I started MCM because of my love of model cars.

It got me through my first three back surgeries, back in the late eighties, and now, it's biting me in the okole again.

Seriously, if you are that unhappy, please go elsewhere.

If you don't get, or understand, the ohana that MCM is, and has, then obviously, MCM is not for you.

If all you want to do is complain, that's your kuliana, I can't change that, nor do I want to.

This site has always been the informal portal for the MCM ohana.

I guess some get confused and think that the big mega company Golden Bell Press pays for all the bills, and as such, they should control what the forum is about.

Wrong.

Like I said, this forum, the web site, all the online stuff, are my pennies, and I do it not because I have to, but because I want to.

Yes, I could give it all up, however no one would carry it on.

You see, I started MCM and it has always been my baby, and always will be.

The only way it would get passed on is if something happens during surgery, and Kelly has all that info, if and when it's needed.

I am so proud of so many of you that have become such close and personal friends of mine.

How many times have I been able to swing by someone from the forum's house, eat dinner, and even crash over night (on the floor of course!), I don't think you can say that about any other editor/publisher out there.

Yes, MCM is different, that's what makes MCM so different, it is different.

I know Harry is pulling his teeth all the time, wanting to get the mag out on time, and we will, but you have to remember, that in the end, it is supposed to be a hobby, and fun, and let's not ever lose sight of that.

There are a lot of changes coming in the next few months, and all of them will be good. There are some subtle changes, that will help with the production and timing of the mag.

We did try going to the numbered issues only for a short short while, but that didn't work.

In the next month (or two), we will be back on schedule. and then there will be other things to complain about.

As for the covers for the mag, I did a post a while ago about the economics of it, and a quick search should bring that post/topic up.

Okay, that's the longest I have been able to sit up and type for a long time, and I will be down for a while now.

I know that there are a least a dozen eyeballs rolling up into their sockets right about now, gomen nasai.

I know, this is no way to run a magazine, it's not professional, you have no idea what you are doing, etc., etc. etc.

You are probably right.

We don't rely on advertising revenue to survive. Most of our advertising is done as a service for the model car builder, reader, and collectors out there.

The show ads, I don't think I have ever charged anyone a penny for any show ad, even the full color NNL West ones, and look.... never mind, I won't go there.

sorry, that slipped, I won't do that again, I promise.

Wait, meds kicking in?

Yes, sorry

I thought you were going down?

Yes, sorry

okay, I pau.....

that, my friends, is me, in a nut shell.

Yes, the shell is a nut, and that's me.

I know, I know......