Model Cars Magazine Forum

I would love to see some cycle builds of bikes.....

Fullauto-1966

That someone could actually ride. The choppers that are being made are all great, but I would love to see some that don't have a useless front end that sticks out so far that the front wheel flops around like a dead fish. I am working on ideas for a chopper that is also a rider. Something low and lean, with a short front end....maybe a springer....most likely a ridged. I like Harley engines, but would like to find something more reliable. Just some ideas that I am throwing around.

Barry you found that bike too.LOL.Watch how you ride that thing or you might end up with a woody.LOL I obtained a 1/8 scale Revell Triumph Tiger 100 kit sealed this weekend for $9.00.YAHOO!!........

I also have one of the Triumph kits that I plan to customize. Here is my 1:1 '64 Triumph 650 project, still under-construction obviously......

Mike

rebuild23.jpg

.....Would love to see the finished product!

You and me both!! lol. It's a long term project that I throw a wrench at from time to time. You might appreciate that THIS is what it looked like the day I brought it home 2 years ago.....pretty gnarly, huh?.......

Mike

1964Triumph003.jpg

Wow!! I like how you changed the rear end.I thought those had the swinger rear.Good choice changing the handles too!!New rims or just blasted and re-chromed??

I bought anoth RM chopperto build in the future as well with a kit stock front end again old school with wire rims.Phewy on those new style rims.I got I one set for anyone from the Aces wild kit.

Wow!! I like how you changed the rear end.I thought those had the swinger rear.Good choice changing the handles too!!New rims or just blasted and re-chromed??

I bought anoth RM chopperto build in the future as well with a kit stock front end again old school with wire rims.Phewy on those new style rims.I got I one set for anyone from the Aces wild kit.

Well, I am a newbie, but I'll share a few of the details with you, and risk being banned from the Forum for being off-topic. :D

The '64 TR6 originally came with a standard rear swing arm suspension. This particular bike was so far 'gone' that I decided it would be easier (and cheaper) to just go 'kustom' instead of a full restoration. I decided to go the 'bobber' route.

I bolted on an early aftermarket hardtail section, which will eventually be a fully welded-on structure. I then laced a brand new chrome plated 16" Harley rear rim to the original '64 Triumph 'Quick Change' rear hub/drum brake which I had powder coated gloss black. I used stainless steel spokes.

The front end is a late model 39mm Harley Sportster unit. I used a conversion bearing kit to bolt the front end on to the Triumph frame. Most guys run a springer or girder front end on Triumph choppers. I prefer the look of the minimalist standard fork setup. When I get into final assembly, the front forks will be rebuilt with a 2" lowering kit which will let the bike squat a little lower in the front. I will also 'shave' the aluminum lower fork legs to eliminate the front fender mounts, and then I'll give the legs a nice high polish. I laced a brand new chrome plated 21" front rim to a polished aluminum Sportster hub, which will allow me to run a single disc front brake. Again, stainless spokes.

The 1" diameter handlebars are very low with a 2" rise, and about 3" pull-back. They're bolted to "0-rise" risers. The controls are chrome plated early Harley units, which will allow me to hydraulically actuate the front disc brake (old Triumphs had mechanical, cable-actuated drums in front and rear).

I really hope to have the bike completed by the end of the summer. I'm thinking of liquidating my huge diecast toy car collection to help raise some fun-money to finish the project.

NOW!, BACK TO MODELING!......

I've got the 1:8 scale Revell-Germany Triumph T100 kit that I'd love to customize. Trouble is, finding other bike kits in the same scale is tough. I've pretty much come to the conclusion that I'll have to fabricate a custom rigid frame to replace the factory Triumph frame. Another option I've entertained is to build a Marlon Brando 'Wild Ones' replica, complete with a photo display base.

Mike

For my triumph, I am keping frame stock.I however just grabbed a revell 1/8 scale snap tight HD for the springer forks and headlight.Not sureon the tank yet as I want a smooth tank, but yet want to keep a triumph look??Asfor the aces wild, changedmy mind.Sawa nice pair of rims sitting there today and decided they would go on the back, yes, a trike and use the custom front rim from the kit.Started both tonight HEHEHE.The triumph will be black and white as the pic I will be shooting for.The trike I am thinking maybe either maroon or a deep metalic green??I know red sticks out better at the shows though!!

Your Triumph chopper is looking real nice. Now I KNOW I have to get started on mine.

If you definitely want to keep the Triumph look, use the kit's original Triumph tank, strip the chrome and shave off the decorative ribs on the sides. If you're real good with an X-acto and file, you may be able to salvage the molded-in Triumph emblems. Triumphs are the only bikes that look right with Triumph tanks.........leave the Harley tanks for the other guys. :D

Another tank that was always popular on Triumph customs was the old faithful Paughco 'Mustang' peanut style (like the one on the chopped Triumph in your original post)........the narrower, the better........

http://www.paughco.com/2003_catalog/page111.htm

I've carved these tanks out of balsa and basswood in the past (custom seats too!). You can coat the final shaped and sanded wooden tank with thin coats of super glue, sand smooth, and then prime with your favorite primer.

Mike

Hows these fit in here??

100_0850.jpg