Model Cars Magazine Forum

Replicating Snow????

BigBlockLyle

Believe me, spray snow will not work. When I did a snow dio I used white glue covered with baking soda. It is very realistic looking. Snow banks and piles can be carved from foam and glued in place. Then slather white glue over everything. I then just poured baking soda over everything. Let it dry overnight. Tap and brush off the excess powder. You can even build up layers if it was not enough the first time.

4412-5.jpg

Edited by wisdonm

Most of the armor modelers that I know use microballons. They are a filler used by the R/C aircraft guys to make lighter plastics. The are little hollow spheres that are almost pure white and will not dissolve like baking soda. They are pretty cheap and can be purchased at most well stocked hobby stores.

Incidental, they make really good extenders for the various types of putty we auto modelers use. Mixed with super glue they make a great quick setting filler and are easier to sand than straight super glue.

Edited by Pete J.

Hey there guys, some of you may know that I am building a snowplow and I found a board that would be perfect for a single vehicle diorama. I'm wanting to replicate it plowing a parking lot or sitting there in the snow with the plow up. I need to know how to replicate snow. Any ideas?

if you have a Micheals crafts near you ,they have products in a line called ( scene o rama)bases ,ice effects ,snow ,different grasses ect,they are meant for school diorama products and are not as costly as going to your local train shop .check them out at SCENEORAMA.COM .they are really cool .thay have video tutorials and so forth ,hope this helps..

jim

I used Woodland Scenics snow for this dio. Used with their snow adhesive. Got them at Hobby Lobby.Used white floor tile cement to build up pile then added the W. S. snow on top. This was my first ever dio. The snow was very easy to work with.

100_6548.jpg

100_6528.jpg

100_6550.jpg

100_6530.jpg

Ski

What i used was a dry plaster sifted over the area in question.

Misc005.jpg

The base was covered with regua=lar coat of plaster, and shped. When dry I used scenic glue, and sifted dry plaster over the area. After I did this one I got hold of a jar of the Woodland Scenic's snow. Use this with thier scenic glue, and you'll get good results.