Model Cars Magazine Forum

1964 Ford Falcon Sprint Hardtop

jjsipes

Just received a newsletter from Model Roundup that claims that Trumpeter will be bringing out a 1964 Ford Falcon Sprint Hardtop. Can be built stock or customized with optional engie options and wheels. Has anybody else heard anything about this? They say it is in test shot review right now so they claim 6-9 months for it to hit shelves.

Here is the box top.

64Falcon.jpg

I got it this morning too. BUT with the track record for model CARS that Trumpeteer has, (Their 24th scale AIRCRAFT are SUPERB!!!)I have my doubts. HOPEFULLY it'll be more workable that their Pontiac, Nova, Monte Carlo kits are. I have hopes for this one, as it has always been a popular little car. Keepin my fingers crossed!:D:);)

I saw this on Spotlight (w/ the usual paranoia "don't-steal-my-pic" watermark) glad you were able to post this; thank you! I hear the price will be right up there in the stratosphere w/ Tamiya et al. I am glad they are producing this kit, but I doubt I will buy one.

Well, based on the price Trumpeter is floating out there, it's not that "way" different than a Modelhaus resin kit. The MSRP is in the $50 range assuming it doesn't go up between now and when they issue it. With the AMT-based Modelhaus kit at least there you know the thing will look right and the chrome will be shiny.

I'm hoping Trumpeter does better with this one (and the Ranchero) than the previous kits, but they have a 3-kit track record that's not so great. If ever a kit shouted "wait and see" to a buyer on a budget these would be it. Hope they've done the homework...how great would it be to have another player making good kits? Let's keep our fingers crossed.

While I sit here with fingers and toes crossed, I have a nice builder AMT annual in my collection.

1964Falcon1-vi.jpg

I recall paying $32 for it in 2008. It was missing the front bumper but otherwise comeplete.

1964Falcon3-vi.jpg

It stripped clean save for some staining from the blue paint.

100_1671-vi.jpg

I sprung for some fresh Modelhaus chrome and it is ready to build as soon as Trumpeter comes out with this one. I hope they get this one right for the sake of the hobby, but I'll stick with mine, metal axles and all. :rolleyes:

I've been looking forward to this (and the 'Chero kit) since they were first announced on the ol' rumor mill several months back. I think I'll wait until I see the kit contents until I shell out any greenbacks for it, given Trumpeter's somewhat hit/miss tendencies with their automotive kits. If it's equal in quality to the Bonneville hardtop, great. If it's better, that would be ideal! Can't wait to see it!

Personally, I'm not getting excited over this until some reviews are in. Partially for Trumpeter's infamous gaffes of the past, and partially....fifty bucks!?

All I can say is, even at street prices of $35-40, it had BETTER be good, or they should just concentrate on their aircraft and armor after this one.

Charlie Larkin

By now one would think that an all-new Trumpeter kit could elicit a lot more enthusiasm rather than so much "sitting on the sidelines" skepticism.

For $50, I'm sure I'm not alone with high anticipation, but lowered expectations. I hope they prove skeptics wrong; delivering an accurate, no-excuses fun-to-build kit that raises the bar and make amends with mainstream model car builders for past transgressions. The ball is in their court...

I really hope Trumpeter does get this kit right. I'll be up for multiples if they do. It will sure save me a lot of hassle trying to modify the old "Georgia Shaker" Falcon into something usable. I may even build one stock. :angry: I'm not worried about the price because with my trusty 40% off coupon from Hobby Lobby,I'll still get a good deal on them. :o

The lesson I hope Trumpeter has learned from its previous attempts is that "more complex" doesn't always equate to "more detailed" or necessarily make for a better model kit. The Pontiacs and the Novas were over-engineered to an insane degree and were needlessly complex in many areas ... the wheel/tire assemblies being one that comes to mind immediately.

I have yet to build one (I bought Bonneville HT and Nova HT years ago at HL for 50% off), so I haven't learned about those issues "the hard way", but I heartily agree :o

I'm good for a Falcon HT and perhaps CV, if they meet my expectations and what others report after they are issued. I'm not buying them sight-unseen.

I do hope they learned their lessons. The '65 Falcon CV they recently showed is intriguing, with what looks like optional speedster parts...chopped, wrap-around windscreen, hood scoop, custom wheels, T-bird-like tonneau cover behind the front seats. Certainly has potential "cool factor" (a poor man's Barris Super Marauder?!) that's missing from the factory stock stuff. They don't need to go kitchen-sink with their models..."Revell-plus" would be just fine, and potentially less costly. There's a reason Fujimi isn't still making new "Enthusiast" kits. There's a reason Accurate Miniatures doesn't have more car models on the market. Modelers don't have a problem with more humble models, if the basics are right...the aftermarket and kitbashing offer better solutions than overwrought "dreams in a box" that are rarely realized. Make it right, make it fun, don't overwhelm the builder, kit engineers, or tooling guys with a bunch of needless complexity that's only truly enjoyed by few. There's a real sweet spot they could exploit if they do it right, but they have to convince us that they're capable of it, and actually follow through with it, and then face a (jaded) buying public that will determine their ultimate success.

i'm not a big fan of early Falcons, not into them really at all. i do think if this one is done well that it could make for a fun kit however as there is alot of directions you can go with it. the price will pretty much prevent multiple builds for this one out of me unless they go on clearance somewhere, but i have some idea's for what to do with at least one of them.

They are like Chevy Novas as they share the same underbelly as the Mustang. The proverbial wolf in sheep's clothing. B)

If they make the Ranchero, I can make the Falcon that Odd Job drove in Goldfinger. I have always wanted to make that car. It started my Falcon obsession when I was younger. There was something wrong with me, out of all the cars in Goldfinger, I picked a Falcon to lust after.

Edited by 2000-cvpi

I'm pretty sure I won't be overly impressed when I open the box to a Trumpeter Falcon, but then again, the first kit which ever really impressed me anyway was the Revell Edelbrock Midget... I think we're reaching a new level in the plastic hobby kit industry, kiddies?

But, I doubt the Trumpeter will be anything close to that. Hey... I don't mind being proven wrong, and in this case I'd love that to happen! :lol: The best Trumpeter kit I've built was the Bonneville hardtop, and it's almost like each subassembly was designed by a different guy, and all the guys who designed those various subassemblies never spoke, communicated, or interacted with each other in any way during the process. Don't get me wrong- the kit looks great when it's completed, but some of the parts breakdown was just unnecessarily complex, and not even that convincing when done- the "Lego block" engine is a great example. I guess what Trumpeter kits mostly lack is 'consistency'- they're pretty good in one area, then fall flat on their keisters in another. I'd be happy of the Falcon and Ranchero kits were at least equal to the Bonnie, but I'd be elated if they were in the ballpark with a recent Revell tool. Again, I'll have to wait and see.

strangely enough, as a little kid (like 5) I loved Falcons and they, along with Impalas, were the first cars I learned to recognize. I have always liked them and in 1965, My father actually had a 65 Falcon as a company car. It was a bottom of the line 4 door sedan, black with a red interior. He hated it because from new, the heater barely wortked and he really hated the black and red color scheme. He always said it made him feel like he was inside a Panther's mouth. He complained about it so much, they switched it out for a Danube Blue with light blue interior 65 Chevy II 100 4-door sedan, which he really liked. But as Sophia Petrillo would say, I digress.....I would love to see Trumpeter do this kit right as I really like this bodystyle but I too, will wait to see what it is actually like before taking that leap of faith, strictly on pricepoint.

Unfortunatly the Falcon doesn't do that much for me. I don't really think it's an exciting car. I am not sure I can justify spending $30-$50 for something I'm not really that much of a fan of.

When the Ranchero comes out, that'll be another story...I have no doubt I'll get one of them.

I have all the previous Trumpeter offerings except the 1/12th scale GT, (Don't forget the Reg Flag Limo!) so it would be nice to have a complete collection of one company's offerings, at least in a particular scale, but I'm not sure it'll happen here.

Of all the other kits...I only started the Bonneville convertible, giving it a decent paint job but having it turn out to be not really buildable due to the Grand Canyon like sink marks on the trunk in particular, and the Red Flag Limo, which was molded in a plastic that would not bond by the strength of any glue. (That was before I used superglue so I should try it again). I think I got as far as the engine and interior. It's one of the few projects I've started and didn't take any pictures of.

I see some issues w/the inset side chrome compared to photos of the real car. Looks like the painted-in-contrast center portion is too wide. Perhaps painted/detailed it won't be so obvious.

So they simplified the kit to "Revell plus", which is good, but priced it at Revell X 2. For a relatively boring, mainstream car. A risky move, indeed.

The ball is in their court, I hope it's a fun build, I too wish them great success. I can't help but think this kit is aimed directly at the adult crowd, the same one that griped to no end when they lost their $10 kit "fix" at Wal Mart.

ph34r.gif

Looks like a nice kit, but just doesn't do anything for me.

I'll wait until they're discounted at the swap meets, if then.

But, having said that, I still wish Trumpeter great success with it. :o

Saw it too. Looks better than their previous auto offerings, but I'm glad to say I still have my AMT annual rebuilder. :blink::blink::blink: