Model Cars Magazine Forum
Sign in to follow this  
DRG

1960 Ford Starliner.

In an attempt to get out of this mode on NOT building I am posting this 1960 Ford Starliner.

I'm painting it a dark brown with a creme roof, or at least that's my plan for now.

Interior will be a combination of creme and dark brown accents, I hope.1960FordStarliner001.jpg

1960FordStarliner002.jpg

1960FordStarliner003.jpg

Any and all comments or suggestions are welcome.

I just want to see more. It's a great kit and I am interested in the colors you've chosen. Keep it going, chap.

Brown? Very been a big fan of brown unless it's a rootbeer metallic kinda thing. However I do love the Starliner. I'll be looking forward to seeing this come together.

Ok, I managed to get some work done to-day. Hooray!

Got the engine started and the distributor in.

1960FordSkyliner2003.jpg

Got the interior painted but have changed my mind and will do it in the creme color since I like it so well.

I have to redo the front seat as it looks nasty. And I have to sand down a bad spot on the dashboard.

As you can see in the photo above.

1960FordSkyliner2002.jpg

And I got the roof painted Creme , though I'm not sure I masked it off correctly.

????

1960FordSkyliner2001.jpg

Any thought or suggestions are welcome.

I usually find it's easier to paint the lighter color overall first, mask off what you want to be the lighter color and spray the darker color over everything. Less chances of things going wrong.

Interesting color combination, Donald; I don't think it's factory, but it'll look really nice.

Charlie Larkin

I'm building one to get out of a funk as well Donald. I like your color combo. I'm going with Tamiya TS-49 Coral blue with an ivory interior and coral accents.

Yours is looking good. I'll be staring a WIP thread soon for mine.

Determined to get outta tha funk.

Bob

Looks good! I like the color choice....it's different. I'll be starting on a '61 Starliner in the next couple of weeks, so I'll keep an eye on yours. I hope you have plenty of Bare Metal Foil! :P

Just thought I would post a little update.

I'm not sure I will try a two tone paint job any time soon.

But I'm hoping the BMF will hide some things.

Please feel free to comment.

60FordStarlinerupdate001.jpg

OK, the Starliner has been packed up and put back on the shelf while it is still build-able.

I am so aggravated with the way this paint job is coming along I will either destroy it or I will pack it up for now.

Let's try something else.

Something simple and easy.

A 1940 Ford.

Just thought I would post a little update.

I'm not sure I will try a two tone paint job any time soon.

But I'm hoping the BMF will hide some things.

Please feel free to comment.

60FordStarlinerupdate001.jpg

Don't know where you're coming from, what's wrong with the two tone paint? Whenever doing a two tone paint, after the first color is dry and the model is masked for the second color, ALWAYS spray a little CLEAR at the tape edge first! That way the second color cannot bleed through.

Donald, maybe it's not you.

This is what spraying Krylon looks like: :)

Krylonsprayhowtouse-vi.jpg

That is a good point and one I really had not thought of. I'm using it because it's cheap and funds are low.

You get what you pay for may be true.

Long ago, I used Krylon without problems; as far as volume of paint out of the can is concerned. Reaction to plastic is a whole different story, however.

A few years ago, something changed afaik. I think they started using a different spray nozzle. Thus the “fire hose†reference. I have tried to use their Hunter Green, I cannot even get the first coat to cover without runs. The volume of paint out of the can is too great. Maybe it’s just me?

If I ever use Krylon again, it will need to be decanted into an airbrush.

Donald,

I would highly recommend you stick with hobby specific lacquer paints from Testors and Tamiya for future builds and practice, practice, practice. There is a good "how to" on using Tamiya paints on the "other" scale auto model website. I would recommend reading it.

Even Testors and Tamiya spray paints can seem like a fire hose if not used properly. Practice and patience are your friend. Mastering the spray painting techniques is but one part of the building process. Take your time, use the right stuff, and ask questions!

Hope this helps.