Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Flat Tire Look

14 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

Can anyone direct me on how to make a tire have the flat tire appearance? Currently making a junker and fresh full tires does not work incompleting the look.

Posted · Report post

Just aim precisely :lol:

gun.jpg

Without joking; you can heat the tire slowly and when you start noticing some distortion, press it on a flat surface.

Posted · Report post

i have used heat to get one part of the tread to the point of melting and then press the tire flat onto a hard surface. if you do it just right, the melted part will sort of ooze out the side and look just like a buldging flat tire. warning-you might not want to try this if the tires are hollow molds.

Posted · Report post

I have also used the heated method but I slide it back a little when I press it down so it bulges a little in the front. Also seems to work better on a piece of glass as the flat surface.

Posted · Report post

Or if you're lazy, like me, you could just buy one of these. :)

Posted (edited) · Report post

Shhhhhh...I was thinking of using my wifes iron to heat the tire until it is flexible enough to change the shape. I will put a piece of wax paper over the iron first so as not to have melted black plastic on my wifes iron. ;)

Edited by Avgwarhawk

I need to get clearer pics of the finished product, but IMO I got good results using a 2" putty knife heated with a propane torch to flatten the tires on my junkyard Charger.

DSCN0752_edited-vi.jpg

Like a previous poster, I also moved the tire while melting it to produce more material on the front side. I fit a socket into the tire to help preserve the wheel opening shape, and snapped a 3" extension into the socket for easier/safer handling during the melting process.

Edited by VW Dave

Posted · Report post

Shhhhhh...I was thinking of using my wifes iron to heat the tire until it is flexible enough to change the shape. I will put a piece of wax paper over the iron first so as not to have melted black plastic on my wifes iron. :D

I would suggest a bandana between the iron and the wax paper. To keep the wax off the iron, so it doesn't get transfer to the first piece of clothing ironed... ask me how i know :lol:

Posted · Report post

I would suggest a bandana between the iron and the wax paper. To keep the wax off the iron, so it doesn't get transfer to the first piece of clothing ironed... ask me how i know :D

My wife would scalp me If I ever even touched her iron.

Posted · Report post

Hi,

A technique I use is splitting the bottom of the tire in the middle to make it more pliable. After all a real flat tire is hollow. Then I heat it up some with a lighter. After all of this when I have time I try to make copies out of a mold and keep them in my storage cabinet. I hope this helps!

Posted · Report post

I used a heat gun to warm the rear tire and slowly pushed down. Dipped it in cool water and instant flat tire.

100_0668.jpg

The front tire was shaved to simulate a locked tire rubbing the asphalt.

Ski

although not 100% correct, adjust the suspension to lower that one wheel, & then sand / or slice off the appropriate amount of tire to make it 'flat'

DSC04885.jpg

OMG! you used one of those rare MPC Denman funny car tires for that!:) That is some very realistic looking rust though.

oldscool

Edited by oldscool

Posted · Report post

OMG! I only had one @ the time (about 6-7 years ago) & it fit the wheel I wanted to use perfectly.

I probably shouldn't mention the other one that got torched & ruined while trying to accomplish this same look. Advice - be very careful with flames & rubber / vinyl tires....

Thank you on the rust.

Maybe I came across as too serious. You are forgiven sir. That really is the best rust I have ever seen.

grumpy gus

Posted · Report post

OMG! It's only a hobby.

Oh I don't take the hobby that seriously. Just look at my builds :P. Maybe I used the wrong smiley.

grumpy gus