Model Cars Magazine Forum

Just received my '57 Meteor Rideau 500 4 door hardtop from Frontier Resin!

I have allways had a strong affection for old cars - especially the ones that are different and uncommon. Being a Canadian and recognizing the unique place that the Ford Motor Company's Canadian built Meteors have in our national heritage, I do not have to tell you how amazed and pleased I was when I came across Frontier Resin's casting on Ebay a few weeks ago. I have purchased from Curt before and I was pleased with his product and glad to get my hands on it but I wasn't quite expecting what I found when I opened the box containing the little Meteor. First, it is a four door hardtop which is a welcome departure from the usual mundane top of the line two door sport model hardtops and convertibles that are usually available - although the Rideau 500 was the top of the line for the Meteor. What I liked was that it was a "more door" - but the best part of all is that it is a Meteor!

What this is, is a very good, reasonably priced, workable, very decent casting ( IMHO ) of a very low production car that epitimizes the styling of the late '50's with lots of glittering stainless trim and a timeless styling that lends itself well to any form from sedan to convertible and wagon - from dead, bone stock to a tasteful custom. Personally, I have never seen anyone improve on the stock lines of the '57 Ford line up - they are tasteful, sexy and just plain eye candy! A mere 691 Meteor Rideau 500 four door hardtops were built in '57 and while this was not the lowest production model for that year, ( the lowest was the Meteor Victoria 4 door hardtop with a total of 214 units assembled ) less than 700 units is still low by anyone's standards. So for those of you out there who like "something different" with more than two doors, this model is a must have! It will compliment the AMT Fairlane 500 nicely but with it's unique tri tone colour combinations that were available, the Meteor was really much more attention grabbing than the Fairlane. Some would accuse it of having too much glitter but personally, I think that it is just right.

I have to say that this casting was much better than I expected and I am in all sincerity, pretty much delighted with it! No pin holes, crisp chrome side trim and molded in fender skirts ( looks like they can easily be removed if the builder so chooses ) make for a pretty respectable model that I would have never thought that I would ever see produced. With some time and a bit of effort, this will be a really nice rendition of a very rare and unique car.

As for things that the caster could perhaps ( with all due respect ) consider improving upon - well there are not a lot that my tired old eyes can discern. Perhaps the biggest issue would be the "Rideau 500" rear quarter panel and trunk scripts - they could be sharpened up just a bit and made more crisp.. and the driver's side front fender grille wrap around trim piece could be staightened out but this is a very easy fix - even for me. Personally, I'd have preferred the fender skirts not been cast onto the body but then it's not all about me and what I want, is it? A lot of guys will welcome the skirts.. and I do like them but the next one that I get willl be built sans fender skirts.

The model comes with the interior side panels for a four door and I think that they'll work out OK. All in all, I am very happy with my purchase - it was a super clean and pleasant transaction and despite a screw up on my end, Curt was every bit the gentleman and very professional in dealing with the issue which was my fault entirely. Communication was good and prompt and I will definitely be buying more from this seller. I have purchased a number of resin bodies off Ebay lately and this one will hold it's own against any of them. I have not seen any yet that were flawless or couldn't use some tweaking. Curt is apparently planning on releasing a 2 door hardtop version of this car and I know that I will be buying at least a couple more of the four door hardtops and several two doors. A Meteor Ranchero would be nice as would a sedan delivery, a convertible and even a four door sedan.. Below are pictures of a real car in the colours that I intend to build my model and some pictures of the actual model pretty much as I received it. I cleaned the flash out of the window openings and that's about it - it's basically as it came out of the box. I don't know how many of you guys know that this model is available bu5t I am certain that there will be a few of you who will want one. No, I am not being paid or rewarded in any way for what I write - I am just excited and passing this along and the views expressed are totally my own. :DB):blink:

redwhitegray4doorhtsmall.jpg

MVC-004S.jpg

MVC-003S.jpg

Jeepers.. 120 views on this thread and not one response.. I'm getting a complex here :P .. Oh well.. guess that's just how it is. I just thought someone might be just a wee bit excited about this being as how guys go on and on about wanting four doors and material that is less than common to work with. This IS an unusual subject.. or am I the only one who sees any potential here? or am I missing something? <_<<_<<_<

Edited by impcon

Jeepers.. 120 views on this thread and not one response.. I'm getting a complex here :P .. Oh well.. guess that's just how it is. I just thought someone might be just a wee bit excited about this being as how guys go on and on about wanting four doors and material that is less than common to work with. This IS an unusual subject.. or am I the only one who sees any potential here? or am I missing something? <_<<_<<_<

Sorry, I viewed it twice. :P Just not into '57 Fords nor four-doors, and the whole Ford/Mercury Canadian thing throws me for a loop.

I'm sure once you start it, people will post the "where can I get one" question. :D

Gare, sorry, but it just wasn't my cuppa tea. Then I remembered, your CANADIAN!!! No wonder your excited! How many older Canadian cars are we seeing? Glad you finally got some respect!:D I'm not sure but i THINK one of the PE guys makes a conversion kit for a 69 Chevelle to convert it into a 69 Pontiac Beaumont, or something like that. Steve Millbury used to show it as his avatar. Didn't the original 57 Ford come with that Meteor grille as a custom peice?Along with the custom tailights from the 57 Edsel Wagon?

Gare, sorry, but it just wasn't my cuppa tea. Then I remembered, your CANADIAN!!! No wonder your excited! How many older Canadian cars are we seeing? Glad you finally got some respect!;) I'm not sure but i THINK one of the PE guys makes a conversion kit for a 69 Chevelle to convert it into a 69 Pontiac Beaumont, or something like that. Steve Millbury used to show it as his avatar. Didn't the original 57 Ford come with that Meteor grille as a custom peice?Along with the custom tailights from the 57 Edsel Wagon?

You're right George - the original AMT '57 Ford kit did indeed come with a Meteor grille and I believe that it has been included in every '57 Ford release. I am not sure about the custom tail lights being Edsel lights or not though. I posted the thread because yes, I am excited about it and other guys have requested more four doors - plus this is a model of a pretty unique and rare car. Hopefully there are others who share my appreciation for this model... I know that I am happy about it - just wanted to share my joy is all.

The Beaumont photo etch stuff is avasilable on Ebay on a regular basis - it would make for a pretty neat conversion and I'll likely scoop a set or two for myself as they are not expensive. As for how many uniquely Canadian cars are available in scale form - this is one of a very limited number. It's sort of a shame really but I guess most guys are all caught up in their muscle cars and exotic imports. Oh well - different strokes for different folks as they say. :):D:D

Gary...

I'm trying to get some historical data on the Canadian hybrids of the '50s and was wondering if you could recommend any sources or contacts you might know of?

Could you contact me at the Realm? resinrealm@yahoo.com or give me a yell at 402-387-2882

Thanks much!!!

Jerry

Why did Ford make a different style for Canada? Didn't they do that for Australia too?

Four door cars don't do much for me. It always seemed that 4 door cars were for old people, and now that I'm one of them, I still don't want a 4 door.

In saying that, I'd still be interested in watching the build of your Meteor.

Cool! At last, an accurate Meteor!

I remember seeing a picture of one of those in Collectible Automobile in tri-tone light blue/white/dark blue. What a sharp car.

Frankly, I think Ford should have done that with the Fairlane 500s down here.

Please do a build thread, Gary. I'd love to watch this.

Does Frontier Resins have an Internet page?

Charlie Larkin

I remember seeing many of the Canadian models while growing up in Detroit. I know that the 'import' tax for bringing stuff into Canada was behind the 'hybrid' cars. Plymouths with DeSoto front ends, Ford's Meteors and GM's Pontiacs using Chevy engines with different names. This was also the reason Studebaker used GM engines in '65 & '66 at their Hamilton plant. I think this all ended in the early '70's with Canadian and US government cooperation.

Gary...

I'm trying to get some historical data on the Canadian hybrids of the '50s and was wondering if you could recommend any sources or contacts you might know of?

Could you contact me at the Realm? resinrealm@yahoo.com or give me a yell at 402-387-2882

Thanks much!!!

Jerry

Jerry - you have email.

Why did Ford make a different style for Canada? Didn't they do that for Australia too?

Four door cars don't do much for me. It always seemed that 4 door cars were for old people, and now that I'm one of them, I still don't want a 4 door.

In saying that, I'd still be interested in watching the build of your Meteor.

Sorry for seeming to ignore everyones' questions but I have been tied up with family things. I amnot sure as to just why Ford offered different marques in Canada than the U.S. - I do know that some Meteors and Monarchs for example, were built for export but I am not sure of numbers or what years this happened. I'll see what I can find out.

I like four doors in modell form because they are a welcome departure from the muscle cars and sport models usually cast and produced. Besides, I like stuff that is unique and different but with this '57 Meteor, I had a friend who had a 2 door imitation hardtop when I was in my teens and I really do love the '57 Ford styling. You do not see a lot of '57 Ford four door hardtops and that's rare - make it a meteor and I am in love! They sure did have some pretty colour combinations on the Rideau 500's like this model. This one will almost certainly be like the one in the picture in my forst post - red, white and gray. I will likely buy a couple more of these as I am pretty happy with this one and colour combinations will likely be blue, white and blue, green, white and green and black with red and silver or white. I think that I am REALLY going to enjoy this one although it may take me awhile to complete the build. It is Priority One though.. and yes, I'll post photos as I go along.

Edited by impcon

Cool! At last, an accurate Meteor!

I remember seeing a picture of one of those in Collectible Automobile in tri-tone light blue/white/dark blue. What a sharp car.

Frankly, I think Ford should have done that with the Fairlane 500s down here.

Please do a build thread, Gary. I'd love to watch this.

Does Frontier Resins have an Internet page?

Charlie Larkin

Charlie - I do not know if Curt has a web page.. I just bought the car off of Ebay - I have his email address if you want it or I can just ask him.. Yeah, the colour combinations on these cars were certainly attractive enough. That extra side trim is a bit loud but the colours really do compliment the trim nicely.

Here's a couple pics for ya Gary. B)

Picture012-vi.jpg

126_2654-vi.jpg

126_2655-vi.jpg

126_2662-vi.jpg

Thanks Steve, I never get tired of looking at pictures of these cars.. it was definitly a very secial era in automobile design.. truly timeless classics that are still loved today. Thanks again for the pictures.. a two tone Rideau 500 is kind of unique as most had a tri colour scheme. That's a nice car even if it is a sedan...

Interesting. Did Ford have a separate dealership line in Canada for Meteor? How were they marketed?

The Meteors were sold by Mercury dealerships and I believe Monarch dealerships as well. There were some REALLY nice Monarchs, like this one that belongs to a friend of mine... it's a 61 Richeleu .. all original except for the paint which is the same as original..

PassengersRearSide.jpg

FrontDriversSide.jpg

John is presently doing a frame off on a '61 Monarch 2 door hardtop that was saved from the crusher - it's a very similiar colour with a white roof..

I remember seeing many of the Canadian models while growing up in Detroit. I know that the 'import' tax for bringing stuff into Canada was behind the 'hybrid' cars. Plymouths with DeSoto front ends, Ford's Meteors and GM's Pontiacs using Chevy engines with different names. This was also the reason Studebaker used GM engines in '65 & '66 at their Hamilton plant. I think this all ended in the early '70's with Canadian and US government cooperation.

You are right about the Canadian & US Treaty . This eliminated Tarrifs on the cars . The costs of Engines for what was left was the Studebaker / Packard Corp. was about a $60-$70 price difference . I don't think the Tarrif was part of the Costs . After a short time , the costs of Warrenty Coverage for GM's Engines was begining to narrow the gap . It was way too late to by then , no turning back . I like what I see with these Canadian Cars . I just have too much on my plate right now . Subject to change . Thanx ..

Edited by dimaxion

• 2 weeks later...

Living in Canada all my life, I remember going to all the dealerships in Winnipeg every year and getting brochures. I started doing this when I was

about 10-11 yrs old. Imagine what the sales persons and managers though of this little snot nosed kid getting brochures about twice a year. I was building models by that time and always thought the Meteor was a way better looking car than its counterpart Ford. I still remember going into Consolidated Motors on Main Street then going the half block to Century Dodge/Desoto to get the brochures. I know now we don't see any kids coming into the dealership at all unless with mom/dad buying a vehicle. Sure isn't like the old days. Very nice looking, crisp casting of the Meteor.

Living in Canada all my life, I remember going to all the dealerships in Winnipeg every year and getting brochures. I started doing this when I was

about 10-11 yrs old. Imagine what the sales persons and managers though of this little snot nosed kid getting brochures about twice a year. I was building models by that time and always thought the Meteor was a way better looking car than its counterpart Ford. I still remember going into Consolidated Motors on Main Street then going the half block to Century Dodge/Desoto to get the brochures. I know now we don't see any kids coming into the dealership at all unless with mom/dad buying a vehicle. Sure isn't like the old days. Very nice looking, crisp casting of the Meteor.

Winnipeg, huh? ;) I used to live at Oakbank, just east of Winnipeg. Speaking of the Merc dealership - Consolidated mercury - the very first '67 Cougar that COnsolidated brought in in 1966 was a 6.5 Litre car that was originally sold to a vetranarian who lived out near us.My best friend bought that car from him ( the vet ) because his wife was afraid to drive it because it had too much get up and go - she was afraid of the car. Phil bought the car around 1971 with virtually no miles on it and man, was that car quick! It has been totally restored and apparently from what I last heard, it was a regular at car shows in the Winnipeg area. It sure was a pretty car - a light greenish/gold with a black vinyl roof and a parchment interior - 390 GT engine with the full engine chrome dressup package, automatic, disc brakes, full console with all of the warning lights, AM 8 track and the styled wheels.

Another of my friends was driving a '57 Meteor Rideau 500 two door imitation hardtop at that time yet.. another guy had a red '65 Cutlass hardtop, another a burgundy '67 Mustang GTA ( his brother had a '58 Edsel two door hardtop that was a killer on the street ) , another had a red with a white vinyl roof and whoite bumble bee stripe '70 Super Bee.. another a burgundy with a white roof '65 Fairlane hardtop.. yeah - good times, good music and tons of really, really good cars..

We used to cruise past the dealerships on Main, Portage and Henderson Highway - I recall seeing either a Daytona Charger or a Superbird in Westport Chrysler's showroom.. those were the days - street racing was still happening and seeing two cars go at it from a light on a Friday or Saturday night was not uncommon. And you are indeed right about things changing. I used to write to General Motors every year and they would send me envelopes full of showroom brochures that I would sit and look through for hours dreaming about what could be.. My personal favorite was the '67 Chevy II brochure with the yellow SS hardtop on the cover.. oh but how I lusted over that car...

I still miss Winnipeg - hopefully we are going to move back to that area in the next several years unless the economy totally falls apart - which is starting to seem like it could be a possibility.. but we'll take 'er as she comes.. :):):)

Winnipeg has changed quite a bit. Chances of getting an NHL team for next year(Phoenix or Atlanta). Car scene in the summer is insane with cruises on Regent avenue and Grant avenue. Keep in touch and maybe we will hook up. I'am going to Oakbank to see Darryl Klassen who has a 68 Dart Hemi and a 70 Hemi Cuda(which was my nephews car originally).