Model Cars Magazine Forum

Renault Alpine A110 Monte Carlo Rally 1971

W-409

This is the first one for 2011. Finished today. I bought this kit from Modellissimo, which is in Riccione, Italy. There were no any American cars, so I took this one. It's Tamiya's kit, it's very great quality, and fun to build; every part fits nicely to other.

I started from the body... It needed a little of putty, and I used Green Putty for that work. Some sanding, and it looked ok. I did no other modifications or other special things for the body. I just primered it with Maston's primer, and there were no mistakes, so it was time for let the body dry for a long time, before the real paint.

Engine is painted with Semigloss black, and valve covers... Oh yeah, there is only a valve cover! It's painted aluminium and weathered a little. Basic engine. It was time to make spark plug wires to it. The distributor was missing from the engine. Well, I made one from plastictube and somekind of metallic tube... It was just a little too high so I made another one. That was better. I also drilled holes for the plug wires, to valve cover. Better, and those wires were very easy to install. I put little rust to engine and weathered with black wash. I drilled the injector tubes open...

Interior is quite simple. I painted the seats with semigloss black, and the place, where people sit, is mattblack. Seatbelts are made from Scale Dreams' Aftermarket material, with ModelCarGarage belt buckles. SABELT textes are pieces of paper, I just glued them to place. My seatbelt material was dark blue, but I wanted to paint them red. So I just took red paint after I had glued the belts to place and painted them. I drilled holes for the steering wheel too.

Chassis is built with box parts, there are no any special things with it. Just tried to built it clean as possible, I mean that I tried to make it look realistic, little rust there is looking good, I think...

Body is painted with spray gun. The paint is Humbroll Enamel MET 52. It wasn't an easy task to paint it, but I made it... Decals went very well, I used of course Micro Sol and Micro Set with them. I also glued windows to the body in this point, which seemed to be a mistake, little later. So, the body was really awfull to get fit with the chassis. All of the windows flied off the body, when I was trying to get it fit. Anyhow, now it fits... Nothing special with the final assembly... It feels good now, when I got the first car of the year finished.

Here are the pictures, all of the project shots can be found from here.http://s486.photobucket.com/albums/rr225/nigot58/Renault%20Alpine/ :lol:

P2040158.jpg

P2040159.jpg

P2040160.jpg

P2040161.jpg

P2040162.jpg

P2040163.jpg

P2040166.jpg

P2040167.jpg

P2040164.jpg

P2040165.jpg

i like the way do paint your bumper, looks like starting to oxidized, how do you do that?

i have the street version on my shelf for 1o years, want to build it some day,

put some dust on it and it will become a rally champion

looks great :P

the only suggestion i would have for a ralyl car is to add the decals after clearcoating it

especially the "rally of monte carlo" plaque is a plastic plate or a sticker that is not part of the paint job and only stays on there for one race (to be replaced with the next races name)

so it would make no sence to clear coat over it :lol:

looks great :D

the only suggestion i would have for a ralyl car is to add the decals after clearcoating it

especially the "rally of monte carlo" plaque is a plastic plate or a sticker that is not part of the paint job and only stays on there for one race (to be replaced with the next races name)

so it would make no sence to clear coat over it :D

very good point mirage, but people still doing it this way probably just want the decals stay on forever, do you have any suggestion about how to preserve without clear coat?

Thank you, for the comments, here are few answers.

Gunner: Yes, the spark plug boots are molded to the valve cover, and maybe I'll paint them some day.

Amani: So how I did the bumbers? They are just originally molded to gray/ silver plastic. I painted them with Revell silver, the number of it is 91. They turned out great, but they look like that only if you watch them very close.

Diymirage: There's no clear on it so the decals are put before clear. That Rallye Monte Carlo plate or sticker or whatever is it, it's put little badly there, because now it looks like part of the paintjob, as you said.

very good point mirage, but people still doing it this way probably just want the decals stay on forever, do you have any suggestion about how to preserve without clear coat?

its not a matter of not put any clear on the decals, the issue is clearing the entire body INCLUDING the decals all at once

i would suggest clearing the body BEFORE you aply the decals, but shoot some clear (preferedly dullcoat) over the decalsheet

that way the decals will stay well and not look like part of the paintjob :rolleyes:

its not a matter of not put any clear on the decals, the issue is clearing the entire body INCLUDING the decals all at once

i would suggest clearing the body BEFORE you aply the decals, but shoot some clear (preferedly dullcoat) over the decalsheet

that way the decals will stay well and not look like part of the paintjob B)

see, learning something everyday

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you again for the nice words! :rolleyes: This kit is really worth buying and building, parts fit nicely to each other and so on. There are two bigger issues: Those two big black parts to chassis, protecting the frame and axles (don't know the name in enghlish) are very tricky to install, and body to the chassis is anything but easy. It fits fine for a test fit, but when it feels like now I put these together, I had big problems... But now I'm happy by the score, and next project is nearly finished.