Model Cars Magazine Forum

Letting off steam!

The 1960 ford Starliner is going back in the box before it winds up in a thousand pieces and in the trash.

I have tried four times to get the interior painted a creme and brown combination and it still isn't right.

I have tried twice to paint the body brown with a creme top to no avail.

Seems paint bleeds through the making no matter what.

OK, I need more experience and a lot more patience, but for now it's back in the box for this one.

Patience and learning experiences my friend. We all have been thru this. I'm sure someone can assist you with some tips that might help you in the future. Here's my two cents worth...

My preferred masking tapes are Tamiya yellow and 3M blue painters tape for delicate surfaces. Tape must be burnished down real well. Spray your paint away from the tape edge to minimize build up and potential bleed. I recall you were using Rustoleum, Krylon or something similar. Those cans put out a lot of paint. If you ever get to the point of using an airbrush, masking and painting multiple colors becomes easier. Tape should be removed as soon as the paint tacks up.

For your two tone interior, you might try painting the primary color with spray paint, then brush painting the two tone in the contrasting color with acrylic paints. Tamiya and Testors make a vast assortment of colors in their acrylic lines that are well suited to car interiors. Errors in the brush painting can be cleaned with Windex window cleaner with little or no effect on the main color.

Finally, since you are a relative newcomer to the hobby, I would concentrate on getting the basics down pat before venturing into multi color paint schemes and other more advanced skills. Once you get the basics of a clean out of the box build down, then start to broaden your horizons by trying something new. You are experiencing frustration right now. This is supposed to be a fun, relaxing hobby. Work on simple paint schemes and clean assembly techniques. Master these and the rest will follow.

I'll offer up 2 tips I've used before. Liquid mask like Ambroid or Micro-Mark can be found at Michael's or hobby shops, this stuff will seal the paint and won't bleed. The second tip is for use with tape, after taping everything off spray a light coat of clear before your second color. The clear coat will seal the tape and keep the second color from bleeding.

Edited by slantasaurus

I hesitate to offer an opinion on this as I have seen you go thru this before. You said you were going to take a step back and not to try and build out of your comfort zone,or something to that effect. It seems you jumped right back to your old ways. I.E. using whatever was on hand, not really doing any reference, research etc. Why are you using products not specifically aimed at the modeler? What tape did you use? Why do you use paints not really aimed at model use? Did you check this board or the internet to find WIP about painting (in general and two-tones)? If your the impatient type your certainly going to be frustrated using enamels,(at least without a dehydrator :lol: ). Marc and others certainly have passed on some good advice. I'd suggest getting some Tamiya spray paint and try a good ONE COLOR paint job with it. I'd also suggest getting a good book or two on how to build models,there are plenty out there and although you can get much advice from this and other boards,to ask for it and show no or little improvement shows a lack of respect. I do hope you take this in the manner it is intended.

I'd suggest getting some Tamiya spray paint and try a good ONE COLOR paint job with it.

Try the old trick of a light coat of clear to seal the tape line then the color coats!

Yep and yep.

I've been on these boards for a while and we've seen lots of new builders. And it always seems we see new builders (young or old) taking the grand leaps into areas that even experienced builders approach with care. I'm guilty of this myself when I was young and I wish someone had told me this little piece of wisdom then.

Understand your skill level and build to improve it. Don't try to jump into the major leagues after your first day in AA ball. Learn to build cleanly. This should be your first goal. No mold seam lines, injection pin marks, sink marks or errant file/sanding marks. No glue visible between parts. No wierd gaps. Learn to lay a smooth finish, glossed to your satisfaction and apply metal foil and decals well. Experiment with all the different types of paint available (there are lots). Learn whats compatable with what.

After you have these basics down pat, then start the harder stuff. Chop a top, Z a frame, shoot some multi-hued paint jobs.

Like I said, we see a lot of new builders. They all end up with the same frustration as they butcher a couple kits trying to chop, channel and section like the old pro's here or end up with a mess of a paint job trying to paint like they see in the magazines. It leads to disappointment and in some cases a loss of interest in the hobby, and that is the real shame. Please take all this advice as it's intended. Everyone here means well and want desperately to see you succeed because we want this hobby to continue in spite of the Nintendo generation.

Set that model in the purple pond, get it cleaned up and try some Testors One Shot lacquer or some Tamiya. Get back at it.

Edited by Jantrix

Thank you Jantrix for your reply as you are one that I respect and admire.

The biggest problem often times is caused by a lack of funds to buy what I really want or need.

Instead I find myself trying to make due with what I have and what I can afford.

Doesn't always work.

And then there's the ignorance on my part. For instance I thought the front fenders of a 1940 Ford were supposed to have what I find out are mold lines.

Oh well, I WILL keep trying.