Model Cars Magazine Forum

• 11 months later...

Of my original list of kits that I had to complete (before starting any new ones), I'm getting super close on the '58 Thunderbird and the '53 Vette is going at a fairly decent pace so I've been giving the majority of my attention to those two. On the '40 pickup, I did pull out all the pieces you see above (that were painted yellow) the other day and finished cleaning off all of the old dead yellow paint. They are now ready for another round of primer and to get covered in red. B) It's definitely one that will be seeing much more bench time here in the near future.

Stay tuned.....

Edited by gpugh1976

• 2 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I'm sorry to report that there were a couple of setbacks today. I have the engine about 85% completed and found out that it is too wide for the frame with the exhaust manifolds on it. I spent a good part of the day trying to figure out a way for it to work and without some major surgery, it just isn't going to happen. Which, really sucks because the engine was really starting to look cool!

The other issue I ran into was, I was starting to mock up the box and rear fenders so that I could figure out my placement of the rear axle (so that the rear tires were centered in the wheel well). I'm not sure why, but the tires/wheels looked great when I held them up in the fender loose in my hand but once the cab, frame, box and everything was all together, the tires looked way too small. Putting a bigger tire under there really isn't a big problem but getting an order from The Modelhaus right now kinda is as they're so backed up with orders. So it'll be a while before I can get the rolling chassis completed.

Anyways....not the end of the world but a bummer nonetheless. On the bright side, I have a really cool looking engine for a future project all ready to plug and play. Lol.

• 3 months later...

I have kicked this thing around in my head and pulled it out and looked at it numerous times since my last update. Then, this morning I had an epiphany and decided that it wasn't necessarily that the tires were too small, it was just that I needed to lower it more! Lol. So I'm VERY excited to report and show you that I finally got the stance dialed in.

40ford 003

40ford 004

40ford 005

Edited by Greg Pugh

• 2 weeks later...

I have really been enjoying this thread....for a long, long time. LOL.  It's nice to see someone who builds at the same pace that I do.

But seriously, I really like the stance and that '57 chevy front end swap was genius.

If you still haven't picked an engine, might I suggest a flattie with ardun heads and maybe a scott blower ?  I think it would suit the character of the build so far.

This is looking really good so far, but we want to see more

I will hopefully be back at this one here shortly. Busy time at work. Things will slow down after Spring Break. Thank you for watching!

I have really been enjoying this thread....for a long, long time. LOL.  It's nice to see someone who builds at the same pace that I do.

But seriously, I really like the stance and that '57 chevy front end swap was genius.

If you still haven't picked an engine, might I suggest a flattie with ardun heads and maybe a scott blower ?  I think it would suit the character of the build so far.

Thank you for your compliments! I ended up going with the 283 Fuelie out of the '57 Black Widow kit. I figured I already had some '57 Chevy stuff under it anyways. Lol. Plus, it should give me plenty of clearance. I already sent some pieces of it out for chrome. Stay tuned...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Looking great! Keep it up.

I have many kits in the same status as yours. As a matter of fact I have a 55 Ford Stroh's pickup kit that I started around 1993(?) and have modified to the hilt. Sad thing is, I am not as far along as you are on this. I have chopped the top, pancaked the hood, moved the front wheel wells forward, widened the rear fenders, shortened the bed, rolled the pans, smoothed the running boards, etc, etc,etc.....Someday I'll get back on it.

Later-