Model Cars Magazine Forum

So here is my arch nemesis! I have a strong love/hate relationship with this pickup. I purchased it in a hobby shop over 10 years ago. It was an opened/half started project that I got for next to nothing. I rushed it home and started almost immediately. Fast forward......Yes, I'm still trying to get it done 10 years later! I was not happy with the detail level of the kit so I'm undoing and redoing everything Monogram did from the factory. This is part of my problem and why it's taking so long. I thought I'd post this up here so I'd be driven enough to finish this darn thing. Please keep me going. I want it done so I can get onto the next "long-lasting, hasn't been touched in years project". :blink:

So here are a couple of mock-up shots I took probably 5 years ago or more. You can see where I had to add styrene to the firewall to fix the hood to cowl gap. I also (carefully) shaved/smoothed out the trim and the molding that went down the center of the hood. I wanted to save the louvers. Getting the hood to sit right and close up gaps all around was a real chore.

40FordPickup-vi.jpg

40FordPickup1-vi.jpg

Here you can see what I've done to the frame. I got rid of all of the molded-in "detail". I also shortened the frame up in the rear so I could snug it up a little closer to the truck so to help with lowering it. I think it will look better without a rear bumper anyway. You can also see the bracket I made for the master cylinder.

40FordPickup5-vi.jpg

40FordPickup6-vi.jpg

40FordPickup7-vi.jpg

And here you can see where I took out all of the molded-in wood. I left the last portion until I'm done tweaking everything. I figured it would give it a little bit of strength. It will receive a real wood bed.

40FordPickup8-vi.jpg

And then....FINALLY....some current progress pics I took from yesterday and today. Feels good to actually get something done on it!! I couldn't find a dropped solid axle that I liked so I decided to put an idependent front suspension from a '57 Chevy under it. I'm building this truck as a traditional rod so I figured '57 Chevy suspension would be kinda cool. Here you can see where I hacked out the original cross member and where I installed the Chevy cross member with A-arms.

40FordPickup9-vi.jpg

40FordPickup10-vi.jpg

Wow, you're really tweaking and fixing this kit! It's kind of funny, when you get a kit that's started, you want to rescue it, and then put all kinds of work effort into it. More than a fresh kit. I have an AMT '55 Chevy pickup that I did a lot to fix, but not nearly as much as yours. It's not finished btw..... Plans are for a work truck, weathered.

Good stuff so far. I couldn't get mine done either, so I blended it with a 37 ford to make a different year. Got further, but still not done. So, I had to get another one to build. I do know they look good when done. Great job with the details so far.

Mike

I have many started kits older than this, so don't be discouraged. They like sitting and being massaged again after all those restful years! Usually your skills have improved in some way and things you stopped for are a piece of cake now. I just wish I still had some of the started customs from my youth 50 years ago.

I like the things you're doing to this ... so we'll be watching and making you keep going! :D

• 2 weeks later...

I'm having trouble with this kit as well. I have a box containing parts from two kits and the cab is from a very old release. The whole car is getting the flat black trewatment, but the flat black blushes badly (Duplicolor lacquer and yes I know flats don't blush, this one does!) on the cab, no matter what I prime with or what temp/humidity level I paint at. It's a real shame because it's a great looking build. Still trying.

I should hopefully be able to start laying down some color this weekend!!

I may have spoken a bit too early here. Right after posting this, I remembered that I'm still waiting for my front 2 wheels and backing plates from The Modelhaus. So let me try this again....

"I should be able to start laying down some color as soon as my parts arrive from The Modelhaus!" :rolleyes:

Greg, what are your plans for the headlights?

Honestly, I hadn't gotten that far yet. As you can see in some of my early pics from the mocking up stages, I have done some bodywork but I'm not even at the halfway mark yet. It depends on the kit for me but on this particular one with as many modifications as there will be, I wanted to get the frame, suspension and drivetrain set up how I want and then I will modify the cab/bed/fenders to fit the frame. Now that I'm thinking about it, I don't know that I've even looked at the headlights in this kit. Am I up for an unpleasant surprise? :lol:

'40 Ford headlights are '40 Ford headlights. The neat thing is this kit and the AMT kit ,both lend themselves to an easy sunken / Frenched style headlight setup,simply by using just a round headlight assembly that will fit into the existing opening. Just push it all the way to the back of the headlight opening. Another neat custom touch would be to use a smaller scale headlight assembly from another '40 Ford in 1/32nd scale and doing the same thing. I've done both of these and they turn out really neat and they are easy to do.Another set up would be using the same round light and forming some sort of clear cover, giving it a '60's sports car look.

I'm having trouble with this kit as well. I have a box containing parts from two kits and the cab is from a very old release. The whole car is getting the flat black trewatment, but the flat black blushes badly (Duplicolor lacquer and yes I know flats don't blush, this one does!) on the cab, no matter what I prime with or what temp/humidity level I paint at. It's a real shame because it's a great looking build. Still trying.

Hey Rob, I've tried all different brands of flat black but the best I have used is plain old Testors in a spray can. Comes out nice and flat every time and doesn't have an overly rough out of scale texture.

grumpy gus