Model Cars Magazine Forum

Valspar Spray Enamel woes

This is the third car this has happened on. I prep the body and primer using Valspar spray primer. Let it cure for a day then mist on a color coat followed by a medium wet coat. Part looks nice and glossy. Come back ten minutes later and the finish is dead flat! If I try to clear with Valspar clear the same thing happens.

I have used duplicolor and testors spray without issue. Just wondering what is going wrong.

I suspect blushing, caused by moisture trapped in the air (humidity) once dry It should polish out without too much effort...That is why I shoot lacquers not enamels.

I am a cabinet finisher, and have worked with mostly laquers and conversion varnishes in the shop and the same thing can happen with both if it is humid. We use a retarder to fight blushing in the summer, but you can only use so much of that before sheen is raised. So, the same thing can happen with the laquer paints used on models.

I was using Valspar primer but stopped using it because it's exactly that, enamel, takes way too long to dry. The idea behind primer is so that you dont have to wait so long to start sanding and working around preparing the body for painting, no? :rolleyes:

Thanks for all the feedback guys. I have been painting 1:1 cars for twenty years so I know about blush. As a matter of fact with the new urethanes you hope for a humid or rainy day to paint. Keeps the dust down and helps the hardener to kick faster. I was just wondering about the Valspar as it is the only aerosol paint I have had trouble with. It is almost like the color is sucked into the plastic! Must be a different formula than rustoleum.

If you ever do get blush with a lacquer job, put it in front of a infrared lamp or in the direct sun for a few minutes. I have even used a heat gun on panels when the job needed to get done quick!

Nope ..just smart Donn.....Where I live 70% humidity is the norm....enamels with lacquer thinner take weeks to dry......:)

I do paint year round :D

That is true ! Humidity down your way is a modelers nightmare . Just thought I'd toss the proverbial bait in the water to see if you'd hit it ! :D

As for year round .... Me too ! This has been an unusually cold one up here , temps in the airbrush shop were a mite too low for too many days in a row So , being fed up with the situation , I purchased a heater for the shop ! Picks the temp up 15 degrees in less than 10 minutes , which , is now a perfect 68 degrees . ;)

Where I live Valspar primer takes forever to dry. Humidity is normally about 13% with summer temps at 110. Sheesh..............

I get great finishes though because of this. 1 hour in that good Nevada sunshine in July bakes the snot out of any type paint. Even enamels cure fast here. :lol:

G