Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell National contest

I've seen lots of posts about the contest and info for it, but I havent seen anything about who is going to enter and what. Is this something thats not normaly shared? does anyone plan on keeping things closed untill the contest is over? I've got my entry figured out, but im not sure if its "proper" to post such things. Anyone?

I considered it, even had a few ideas (which I plan to build anyway), but decided not to. I have enough trouble getting the builds for myself done, let alone a build for a contest. Besides, I'm one of the Gearz "old timers", and am pretty close to some of the staff that works for Stacey.

I am planning on it, though lately I`ve been really uninspired. I started something, but can`t seem to get motivated.

The rules and the way this contest is being held isn`t ideal for us builders who build for contests, but this is pretty huge for our hobby, and it is the kind of exposure we`ve been waiting for for decades (for those of us who have been building that long). Even if they were only allowing Prius builds, I would still give it a shot.

I'm hoping my 5 window deuce will be complete by their deadline. I'm not affiliated with the show in any way, shape, or form, and rarely watch it on TV because I forget it's there. I did catch the show where they put a small block Ford into a Miata with very little work (at least on TV).

I'm not much of a builder lately - but for some reason I don't like how it feels. I'm not too keen about the judgeing outline and I'm not understanding why they limited the kits available to enter. Revell/Monogram has a much more diverse product line. Gearz build a V8 Miata as a project car. The kit selection for entry should be more diverse - with less build limitations.

Just my 2 cents.

For those of you complaining about this isn't allowed and that isn't allowed. They chose a very popular selection of cars. In fact the MOST popular selection of cars from Revell in recent years. Revell and Gearz want to make this a yearly contest and it has already been mentioned that the types of cars allowed will change every year. Revell and Gearz are hoping for a huge turnout for the first contest to really launch it and honestly hot rods are probably the best way to go. The static wow factor of a "hot rod" is way more than a 60's or 70's muscle car.

If everyone complains their favorite car isn't allowed and nobody enters the contest won't last and you won't get the chance to build your type of car in a future contest.

I know I am not going to sway any opinions but I just wanted to put that out there.

It's no wonder the hobby is failing everyone complains no matter what the companies do.

Personaly I thought that the way its set up for building and judging kinda levels the playing field, but I've never been in a contest or even to a real show so that doesnt say a whole lot. I agree with the comment that the "Hot Rod" theme doesnt really play into building muscle cars ( i.e. Mopars), but whos to say that the next contest wont be "Muscle Car" themed. I just thought it was cool for something like this to take place when I read about it. I guess I'm really excited for it because it gives me an excuse to step out side of my comfort zone and really hack something up knowing I have a deadline. I've tryed really hard not to get to involved in one project and get burnt out sence coming back into this hobby. Maybe its just me.

I'm not understanding the problem(s) with the Revell contest.

When I found out about it, I thought it was a great idea that would make people aware - through the TV show - that model cars are still available and being built. I still do and plan to enter a build.

So what's the problem?

Having judged two real life model car contests in 1993 & 2001, (you know, the kind that you have to phyisically attend, & bring the actual models with you to), & attending at least one NNL & one contest each year, (whether I'm involved in it or not), since 2006

I guess thats the other reason I was stoked to hear about it...there isnt a big show venue around this area, and if there is, its kept secret pretty well. An online contest (whats not done online these days?) was my ticket to participate in something.

Having judged two real life model car contests in 1993 & 2001, (you know, the kind that you have to phyisically attend, & bring the actual models with you to), & attending at least one NNL & one contest each year, (whether I'm involved in it or not), since 2006, & having read the rules for this "contest", I can see where & why people are complaining & that's without noticing the "no Mopars" rule & being primarily a hot rod modeler myself.

This is a poorly conceived attempt at a contest with limited appeal to most car modelers in general, & it's no wonder that it's not generating much interest, or so it seems. If Revell wants to encourage more participation, they need to broaden the overall focus of it. Heck, even in the 60's when they had the Revell/Pactra contests, not only was any car model allowed that was based on any Revell kit, but also their competitors kits as well.

:lol:

I have judged many contests in my life. Including car shows and racing concourse events. So the rules for this contest level the playing field for novice builders. Geez, It's nice to know that if model contests leveled the playing field for novices so many of the contest vets would drop out. I personally like the way the contest is set up. I am a novice builder i.e. only been in the hobby for 6 months and only finished 2 models so far. It's nice to know that if I went to a contest I would be grouped with guys that have been building for more years than I am old. Age does not equal skill level as so many real life model contest assume.

I highly doubt this is poorly conceived at all. The prizes are pretty cool. The rules level the playing field for novices to experienced builders. I will admit it would be nice to have more time to do the build but 2 months is decent amount of time. The only rule everyone seems to really be hating on is the No Mopar thing. Well guess what guys their are no BMW's or Porsches or Caddy's or Jeeps, or Semi tractors, or lots of other really cool car subjects. I'm sorry but it's just not an excuse to bash a "hot rod" contest for not allowing cars that are not generally seen as "hot rods".

The funny thing is the next time around when they are allowing 60's-70's muscle/drag cars. It will flip around and all the people complaining about no mopars will be defending the contest when all the Hot Rod builders are complaining.

And guys just so you know I am not entering as "hot rods" don't really appeal to me. But just because it's not my thing doesn't mean I am going to bash it. It's the first national contest in a long time just be happy that we might start seeing more contest pop up. Think about it if this works you think R2 isn't going to jump in with their own contest. Honestly I wouldn't doubt if they are already in the planing stages with one.

(you know, the kind that you have to phyisically attend, & bring the actual models with you to)

It's nice that you have the financial ability to travel to large contests. And it's great that you enter your builds are incredible and you are one of the modelers on this site that I look up to. But seriously not everyone can travel to these contest or afford the other expenses associated with them. So please don't say just because this isn't a physical attendance contest that it isn't a contest. Last time I checked The NNL advertises itself as NOT A CONTEST

"NNL East is not a contest as there is no formal judging"

"The NNL West is a non-competitive event"

Bluesman Mark - "Now many of those are indeed great kits & build into nice models, but limiting the type of builds that can be done, by having such a limited eligibility list isn't a good way to generate interest."

But the NNL east and west both have categories that only allow ONE or TWO cars for entry? Does that mean those are bad contests to enter?

Edited by ra7c7er

Isn't the name of the TV show HOT ROD TV? Maybe that's why the hot rod theme. Maybe if this contest goes over well, Revell will have another and open it up to more of their kits. I'm still entering a build with the intention that it will never place, but at least Revell will know that I'm interested in the hobby.

properly promoted for the most part.

If they want to have a "National Contest", then it needs a broader scope, to generate the most buzz, appeal & participation.

:lol:

I agree it isn't being properly promoted. The promotions guy they have working on it is a joke and possibly a fraud but that is a different story.

The TV program is Gearz TV.

I believe one of the stated goals of the contest is to provide recognition of the level of build quality in the hobby today. This is to attact new partisipants into the hobby; older guys that use to build but don't realize how the hobby has progressed, and younger guys that just aren't aware of the hobby beyond die-cast collectables. Since these groups are not currently building models, they are not likely to be lingering around model building web sites. But, they may be watching Gearz.. Stacey David is a likeable, knowledgeable and entertaining guy.

I'm entering.

Stacey David will love my entry and decide to build a full size version. The build will be broadcast on the show, spanning several episodes. He will then give it away in a drawing which I will win. Bingo! I will be driving a 1:1 version of my own model car this time next year. Chip Foose will see the car being built and forward me an offer to design and build hot rods for him. Revell will see my Chip Foose designs and offer me a contract allowing them to recreate the cars in 1:25 scale.

Ye haaaaaaa !

That was hilarious Alyn!

Will somebody please clue me in to what it is you're talking about or throw up a link or something.

Greg, here's a link to the contest site:

http://www.revell.co...evellgearz.html

Guys, this is something we should all get behind. Exposing some quality builds to a broader audience can only benefit the hobby. More participants in the model world will help the companies that provide kits, aftermarket parts, paints, materials, magazines, websites, etc. to survive and keep pumping out good stuff for us to work with.

Instead of anouncing fewer new releases, Revell is stepping up to the plate with a proactive approach to help grow the hobby. You're building stuff anyway; pick a kit and try a hot rod.

In my neck of the woods, the Heartland Nationals is a big thing. Later this year Omaha will host the IPMS nationals. That's a big thing. NNL's east and west and the big daddy of them all, The GSL are big things. They all raise the profile of model building. Revell has instantly created a big thing; one that might possibly live on for many years as one of the biggest events of the year. We all have the power to show them how really cool model building has become.

I don't have a dog in the hunt, but I know a good thing when I see it.