Model Cars Magazine Forum

The car that got me out of modeling

I've just started modeling, after a break of something like thirty years (and I'm something like 40 years old), and I was thinking back to some of the last models I built when I was a kid. Not that I was big on patience then, once I discovered superglue I actually enjoyed building cars even more, I could be done in an afternoon.

But there was one car that I spent quite a bit of money (for a ten-ish year old) on that my dad and I were going to do right.

Until we found out that nothing fit.

The lowered suspension was so low that the car didn't rest on the wheels, but on the axles or steering knuckles (it's been a while). The doors didn't close properly, the chrome didn't fit.

I'm pretty sure that that was when I lost interest.

photofile-vi.jpg

I was pretty surprised, when I looked it up, to find that it was a Revell kit, since I've just gotten back in, starting with a Revell '65 Chevy Stepside.

Things seem to fit much better.

Just rambling.

-val

That is so funny....I absolutely HATE that kit. That was my first model ever when I was 8 years old and my dad helped me build it. We had the same problems. I tried to build another one later in my teens, when my skills got better but I could never bring myself to finish it. It just didn't look right. I have one now....but it's a parts car!! B)

That kit will destroy the dreams of the most patient modeler,as will most of the revell kits from that era,I had them all as a child and teenager so now I buying all the older ones like that so I can do them justice now.I have a hot rod version of the 57 you posted + the 54,55,56.All of them have opening panels but the 54.Thanks for show that version.

That kit will destroy the dreams of the most patient modeler,as will most of the revell kits from that era,I had them all as a child and teenager so now I buying all the older ones like that so I can do them justice now.I have a hot rod version of the 57 you posted + the 54,55,56.All of them have opening panels but the 54.Thanks for show that version.

Got any pics of those? I've always wanted to see one put together. I'm currently working on the '54 Sedan Delivery. I don't think it's quite as bad as the '55-'56-'57 as far as difficulty. The other ones I hate from that era....the '41 Willys coupe, the Henry J and the Anglia Gasser just to name a couple.

Althoughboth were changed a little all the body stuff is straight out of the box

yellow55chevy1.jpg

57chevprost3.jpg

and strangely enough the 56 that I haven't done yet is bowed out in the middle.

more pis page 2 and 3 here

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v392/awesome55/tri%20fives/

don't think they are really any worse than the Henry j or possibly the others that I haven't built yet (Anglia etc).

On the other hand (if there's no warped parts) it does lend itself well to drag car builds. I built one with a full chassis & roll cage (in my photobucket) years ago, that was made that much cooler for all the opening doors & whatnot.

If you want to build a prostockin' doorslamin' racin' 55-57 this IS the kit for it.

I`ll just add that I remember building that kit in the `80`s....it was the custom version as show in Bluesman`s collection. It was awful. If I remember correctly, it had weird, undersized, skinny two piece tires. I remember building other Revell kits at that time. The f-bodies (Camaro`s and Firebirds) with posable wheels were miserable as well. The struts in the front were always too short and would take some modification for the wheels to actually stay on the car.

Now, today`s Revell kits are a completely different story. I just built the `55 and `56 kits, and they are awesome!

I have some of these in my collection in various stages of being built. The latest is the black '57 done in monochrome metalic graphite black with lime green wheels, tuned port engine with nitrous and all kinds of fuel and brake lines. Last time I picked it up, I repainted the chassis and started trying to assemble this thing. The front fender liners wouldn't go into the body without major modification and being they are painted that lime green metalic from many years ago, they will probably stay off the car. Lots of fit issues to be sure.

The last one I did get together was when I was about 16 back in the late 70s. It was the '57 Nomad. It was painted Testors Saphire Blue and was jacked to the sky with the spoke wheels from the '65 Riviera. The rear wheels were widened to fit the real wide radials available at the time and the grill was the buick grill from another '57. Did win 2nd place with it so it must not have been that bad...lol

I was pretty surprised, when I looked it up, to find that it was a Revell kit, since I've just gotten back in, starting with a Revell '65 Chevy Stepside.

Things seem to fit much better.

Just rambling.

That '65 stepside is a nice kit and have thought about buying one, Did you buy it in Chicago by chance?

That '65 stepside is a nice kit and have thought about buying one, Did you buy it in Chicago by chance?

Yes I did, or Chicagoland at least, I was back home about a year ago and got it at a big hobby and craft store on the south side of Rt 38, in Lombard maybe? Strangely enough, I saw the same kit two weeks ago in Kyoto (yup, that Kyoto, in Japan) for twice the price, which, all things considered, isn't horrible.

I've been working on it for a week or so, I'm pretty happy, the thread is here

-val

Hmm, just twigged to the name Joe, I may have gotten this one at your store. Yup, this is the same LAV25 from the RC sites.

I have the '56 Chevy built and it was a pretty bad kit also. Mine was bowed in in the middle and it had the quarter panels warped so badly that I had to glue the trunk in to get it to semi hold it's shape. It was also warped badly around the driver's door area. I should have cut the posts off of the doors and quarter window and made it a hardtop. It might have not looked so bad then. Someday I want to blast it apart and build it exactly like the one I had when I was a kid.

The funny thing is I've found myself picking up a few of those old Chevy kits just to have another try

I remember getting the late 70's "Lowrider" version of the Revell '57 (molded in a pink-lavender plastic)when it was new

We just got one of these today. I thought it odd as I don't remember "Lowrider" themed cars from the 70's. Its molded in pink as you say.