Model Cars Magazine Forum

'69 Chevelle 300 Deluxe

Greg Pugh

Wow! What a compliment! Thank you so much. I guess I can't quit on this thing now!! :D

I have to work this weekend so I wont get as much done as I'd like but I'm going to start work on the grille and rear bumper/tail lights next. I'm waiting for good weather to start throwin' down some color. Not to mention.....it's fun to torture all of my followers! ;):lol:

Got a chance to work over the grille a little. You can see the kit supplied grille/front bumper in comparison to the Modelhaus version. Not a whole lot different but the Modelhaus is clearly the better piece. It doesn't have any mold lines, the chrome is of much better quality, the front bumper is opened up in the turn signal area and the general fit is a little better.

37-vi.jpg

38-vi.jpg

I sprayed Krylon Satin Black to the photoetch grille and then removed the paint from the center bar. The bowtie was painted with Testors blue and was attached with Elmer's White glue. I also painted the headlight bezels to add some contrast. I still have quite a bit of work here but......Lemme know whatcha think!

39-vi.jpg

40-vi.jpg

Edited by gpugh1976

I'm waiting for your elves! B)

Thank you!

They to scared to leave, I told them I'm one of the most laid back slow builders around and they be worked to death if they were to build for anyone else :lol:.

What you not finished yet ???????????? :lol::P :P :P

Ok. So here's the deal. I've got 6 models that are in various stages of completion (or un-completion). I've made a promise to myself that I will finish these 6 kits before opening and starting a new one.

I was doing that until a few weeks ago... finishing up my stragglers from '10 and '09. And '08 and '07... Lasted about two weeks! :D

But anyway, glad to see you are making some progress on yours! Love the '68/9 Chevelle posts!

I decided to try the Donn Yost method for the first time and I sprayed it down with Metalizer. I ran across a couple of cans of Tamiya spray paint I had laying around so I thought I'd squirt the hood to see what I thought. I'm on the fence with the color.....I need opinions. Do you prefer the Tamiya Mustardy Yellow or the MCW Grabber Yellow?

43-vi.jpg

44-vi.jpg

45-vi.jpg

46-vi.jpg

Wow, missed this project because of an an illness thing. This is looking great; I love seeing post sedans being modeled as the 1:1s were sold in the majority. My two cents on a yellow is that I've always prefered one with a bit of an orange/red tint to it. I had a 1:1 '69 Camaro in Daytona Yellow, but I always preferred the yellow on Mustangs of the same vintage; nearly a school bus yellow.

Just as a refresher....here's the Grabber Yellow.

40FordPickup13-vi.jpg

Greg, This looks more correct then the other yellow, That one has to uch of an orange tint to it, Thats just my oppinion, You could have saved alot of money on paint also, They make the daytona yellow in the testors 2 part laquer line, Also when painting a bright color like you have here, It's best to use a white primer. Gray and Yellor rarely mix, There is always some bleed through, But the hood looks great. Trying to paint most light colors over gray is a pain, I'm lazy, I just prime the parts with white , Wet Sand, Then shoot on 3 mist coats , And one heavy coat. Let the paint gas out for about a week , Then rub it out with some rubbing compound with an old flannel shirt. Told you I'm lazy. B):)

Greg, This looks more correct then the other yellow, That one has to uch of an orange tint to it, Thats just my oppinion, You could have saved alot of money on paint also, They make the daytona yellow in the testors 2 part laquer line, Also when painting a bright color like you have here, It's best to use a white primer. Gray and Yellor rarely mix, There is always some bleed through, But the hood looks great. Trying to paint most light colors over gray is a pain, I'm lazy, I just prime the parts with white , Wet Sand, Then shoot on 3 mist coats , And one heavy coat. Let the paint gas out for about a week , Then rub it out with some rubbing compound with an old flannel shirt. Told you I'm lazy. B);)

With the responses I got here and the more I looked at it, I ended up stripping the hood back down last night. I just couldn't get into it. So I'm back to going with the original plan, the Grabber Yellow. Steve, what are you using for white primer? I use Duplicolor for the grey stuff.

With the responses I got here and the more I looked at it, I ended up stripping the hood back down last night. I just couldn't get into it. So I'm back to going with the original plan, the Grabber Yellow. Steve, what are you using for white primer? I use Duplicolor for the grey stuff.

Not Steve, but Duplicolor makes a white primer as well.