Model Cars Magazine Forum

How long have you been modeling?

I was just curious, how long have the members here been modeling?

I will start with myself I have been modeling since i was 8yrs old I will be 50 this year.I remember I tried to get my dad to buy me a dremel then and the hobby shop owner said I could cut my fingers off with it. Sad to say I was about 14 before I could get the "old man " to get me one. I guess that makes me 42 years into it. My first kit was a 1/25th trike it had a chevy v8 with injection tubes, I am not too sure who made it. (I would like to know) I have dabeled in model railroads and all other sorts of kits. I guess I will be modeling as long as the Good Lord sees fit.

Any way so much about me who has the most years modeling and the least?

me Since '05 (6 years), my father since '58 (on and off for 53 years), and my grandfather since '50 or so (61 years or so)

my grandfather has since quit because he's getting to shakey, my dad has a balance disease so working on a model is out of the queestion, but both frequently help me, wonder why my 3 siblings never took up modelling?

Nick

Modeling....

years on the runway = 0

years building cars = 36

LOL I'm 42 now.

My older brother and his buddies built at our house. So I would get their cast-off and mistakes and make all kinds of messes of them. It hooked me for life, thanks bro..

I started with ships, planes and armor at age 8 in 1956, but went total autos in 1958 with the first AMT kits. It wasn't constant though as I stopped at age 16 until 1990 .. a 28 year break. Then I later took a 6 year break as I got into 3D modeling. Been back for 3 years now and don't think I will be stopping! (of course, I may not be finishing either ... :lol: )

I guess that makes only 17 years .. eheh

Edited by Foxer

I started when I 6 or 7 years old, so I been building for 37 or 38 years. I still have one of my models from that time period. A '73 Mustang MachI white with blue stripes on the box. I painted that poor model so many times,the panel lines disappeared and the hood would barely fit! :lol: I pulled it out of it's box about 12 years ago and redone it. Wish I had known about stripping with CSC then. I sanded on that thing for days! :D It's the worst looking model I have,but there's no way I would part with it.

Haven't been in the game as long as some of you guys- I started out at the age of six, back in 1988. I started drifting away in the mid '90's, but I never really completely stopped. I got back into it pretty heavily around '05, and the iron's still hot. Basically, I've been modeling for just a little over two thirds of my life at this point! :lol:

I started building when I was about 8 years old like many others that have answered so far, and I'm now 35. I started out with the almost on the shelves again 1/16 scale MPC General Lee, and I'm so happy that kit is coming back out! :P I plan to build it just to see how far I came since the first one, and hopefully this time I'll think twice about painting the sun visors green! :D I still can remember sitting at the dining room table with my dad and working on it together. Unfortunately both the original and dad are both long gone, dad passed away in 1990 and I lost the original General in a house fire in 1997, but at least the reissue will give me a chance to remember and relive some happy times. :lol:

i have been modeling on and off for about 20 years, well to be honest, between the ages of 15-25 i was more interested in girls and partying than modelling, but now i have met the girl and have the off(canadian)beer, i am now 29 so.....it's hard to say. i do have pictures of old kits that i have made and there is a green day poster in the background so i would put it near 1996?

I started at age 8 in 1962, tapered off around 1977. Resumed from '83 to 85 and quit again. Got back in with the enthusiam I had as an adolescent in 2007! So thats uh, 20 years. Hadta get the calculator for that. Thats not much compared to a lot of you folks. I sorta regret that girls got in the way most of those years as they are all gone now. ..... no, not "gone", just not a part of my life. Thats, maybe, like, a good thing!