Model Cars Magazine Forum

How do I duplicate these aluminum wheels?

Greg Pugh

Strip them and then paint them with Model Master Metalizer aluminum plate.

It'll look exactly like the photo you posted,

Bob

I second this.

And if the clear coat is glossy, you may be able to use an acrylic gloss clear over the metalizer.

I ended up using 3 different wheels for 3 different tests. This picture doesn't do much justice but you can see the color comparison. The dullcote seemed to attack the chrome and up close it looks cloudy and you can see some small cracking but it's the wheel on the left. The wheel in the center was done with Tamiya Silver Leaf and it's probably my favorite. The one on the right was done with the Aluminum Plate Metalizer and then clear-coated. It would look awesome for older Magnesium wheels like on a gasser but I think may be a touch too dark for the look I'm after. Opinions please!!

zzz005-vi.jpg

The cloudiness and cracking probably came from laying the DullCote on too heavy; it is a lacquer after all. Try it in one or two lighter, 'misty' coats, and you should get better results. While the one in the middle looks good, I believe the DullCote solution is the best one.

Edited by VW Dave

I would have to agree with the dullkote. It will take 3 or 4 light mist coats to look correct. I did this T Bolt air cleaner and front bumper with dullkote

The rear bumper was left alone as it was chrome

The wheels were done in Metalizers

IMG_0727.jpg

IMG_0701.jpg

IMG_0729.jpg

Edited by Stasch

I have also tried dullcoat with good results, I usually use Humbrol #135 Satin to knock down the shine of the chrome plating to replicate a brushed aluminum look.

And the Humbrol colors is enamel so they usually don't react with the plating.