Model Cars Magazine Forum

1968 Dodge Dart

I picked up a '68 Dodge Dart from a guy I know. He was forced to sell it due to the economy, and he only wanted $8200 for such a rare car! I HAD to have it. I drove the El Camino out of the garage, hooked up the trailer, and headed off to his house.

He had partially started to build it for drag racing, but had to put it in the shed because he had no time to work on it. The engine was a 426 Hemi Max Wedge. It wasn't completely built, but 90% of it was there.

We pushed the Dart into the trailer, I paid him, and I headed back home to fully check it out.

Everything was in great shape! It looked like the engine only needed a few parts, and the chassis and interior were complete. The were a few body parts, like the front and rear bumpers. It also needed glass.

One of my favorite things about the car was that the headlights were tinted purple. He said he orginally wanted to paint the car Plum Crazy. I was going to paint it black, but then I got to thinking. Then I realized that Plum Crazy does look good! It was already in primer, too.

Here are some pics when I got back home:

100_0116.jpg

100_0117.jpg

100_0119.jpg

100_0123.jpg

100_0124.jpg

100_0125.jpg

100_0126.jpg

When I do more to this Dart, I'll keep updating this topic. Thanks for looking!

Hope you enjoyed my story! :)

Carl, for a minute there, I thought it was for real! Hot Rod or Car Craft just got a 71 Duster in the same condition, only REAL, with a slant six!!! I thought you might have gotten a monster deal like THAT! It's a GREAT story line, an I hope ,Like the magazines, you'll keep up posted on your progress. This'll be cool!:lol::D:);)

Cool story and great start to this build.

I just have one thing for you Andy....it is a 426 Maxi Hemi, NOT a Max Wedge. The Max Wedges were the RB series block with the wedge heads (not the Hemi heads). The 426 Hemi came from the wedge platform, but has relocated and an extra row of cylinder head bolts, plus is 4 bolt-mained on #2,#3, and #4 mains. They both have the short 4x2 crossram intake, but again the wedge intake will not bolt to the Hemi due to the extra width of the Hemi heads, and the intake port spacing/intake bolt locations. The 426 Max Wedge was availible late 63 and early 64 (taking the place of the 413 Sonoramic Commando) and the Maxi Hemi was availibly late 64 and 65.........then again in 1968.

Cool story and great start to this build.

I just have one thing for you Andy....it is a 426 Maxi Hemi, NOT a Max Wedge. The Max Wedges were the RB series block with the wedge heads (not the Hemi heads). The 426 Hemi came from the wedge platform, but has relocated and an extra row of cylinder head bolts, plus is 4 bolt-mained on #2,#3, and #4 mains. They both have the short 4x2 crossram intake, but again the wedge intake will not bolt to the Hemi due to the extra width of the Hemi heads, and the intake port spacing/intake bolt locations. The 426 Max Wedge was availible late 63 and early 64 (taking the place of the 413 Sonoramic Commando) and the Maxi Hemi was availibly late 64 and 65.........then again in 1968.

Dang Bradley, beat me to it.

Very interesting looking Dart build so far.

Actually, you both got it wrong. There is no such thing as a Max Hemi. There's the 426 RACE Hemi in race Hemi orange that sported a factory 12.5:1 compression and solid lifter cam. Then to meet NASCAR's demands for a certain amount of street cars to have the engine available a second Hemi was produced for the assembly lines. IT's called the Street Hemi and it's painted Street Hemi or just Hemi orange. There are two colors and one is much lighter orange than the other. The street version has 10.5:1 compression and a hydraulic camshaft slightly smaller than the race version. 284* .484" for the street version. And most street versions got the inline dual four intake, but, there are cross ram versions of the street Hemi as well.

Thank you Dave. If you want to be technical, yes it was called a Race Hemi. HOWEVER, it is refered to (in factory literature AND press) as the Maxi(mum Effort) Hemi (following in the lines of the Max Wedge naming scheme). Depending on whether the 'Hemi' was destined for NASCAR or NHRA dictated intake and compression ratios. The 'Max' Hemi was 12:1 compression, with the aluminum (some were magnesium) short-ram intake. NASCAR banned the Hemi in 1965, stating that it was NOT a production engine, yet the Maxi Hemi soldered on in NHRA classes. 1966 saw the introduction of the 10.5:1 'Street Hemi' to homologate the engine for NASCAR. It also saw the death of the 'Maxi' Hemi under NHRA for the reasons of the Street Hemi intro (yet I know of and have seen documented ONE 1966 Maxi Hemi).

The Street Hemi was actually solid-lifter with adjustable rockers in 1966 and 67, 68-71 was hydraulic lifters and non-adjustable rockers. Also, the 1966-67 inline2x4 intake was different than the 1968-71 intakes in casting stampings and heat riser tube inlet geometry. 1968 RO23 and BO29 cars had a Hemi very similar to the 1964-65 Maxi units, with very little revision (mostly valvetrain and head revisions). From the factory, NO Street Hemi got anything but the inline2x4 intake. Now, quite a few aftermarket manufacturers offered different intakes for the Street Hemi (one had interchangable upper plates that even allowed the 440+6 3x2 carb set-up to be run).

As to color, the 'Maxi' color is Much darker red-tinted orange than the Street Hemi lighter orange.

Edited by whale392

Perhaps you would know them better as the 'Stage IV' and 'Stage V' engines then? Or maybe the 'Super Stock Stage IV' for the 426 Wedge? No disrespect to you 6bblbird (like the screenname by the way). Yes, the Hemi also had the more common 'Race Hemi' name attached to it, but it was refered to as the Maxi Hemi. Had I the time and airfare, I would fly home and make the copies of the literature dad recieved when he bought his Hemicar new as well as all of the TSBs and factory race tune-tips for both the Maxi and Street Hemis. I am NO expert on these by any stretch of the imagination, but growing up with these engines (and the rest of the B/RB family) has given me some hands-on into them. Having a 440+6 of my own (a 1969&1/2 stuffed into a 1965 Dodge) and a D/S prepped 383 has given me a close-up look at these beasts too. I love my Mopars, as much or more than I love my FOX Mustangs. They will always be my first automotive love, and I will build another 1:1 B-body.

Android, keep at this Dart. The 67-69 Dart is by far my favorite A-body, with 68 being the top of the heap for me.

Edited by whale392

Gotta love those calls about awesome deals!!!! I thought this was real then i looked and said this isnt Bring a trailer site but Model Cars forum but i love the way this is going and must be nice to have an enclosed trailer all we have right now is a broken down single axle here (lol) with the big galaxie 5th wheel a being in still born state.

keep us informed

Michael