Model Cars Magazine Forum

ALMS...lost another one

ohhhhh boy <_<

What I think is funny is how everyone says, well NASCAR gets the viewers, that's how it is....now go back to Speedvision, there were tons of things to watch, nothing ever got more coverage, everyone loved sports car racing also loved nascar, then watched an F1 race, happened ever since the 60's on to the early 00's where the death of a motorsports channel happened. But notice EVER SINCE Fox bought Speedvision, the rise of Nascar started, and slowly killed off the races on the channel to show more nascar coverage and then when the series wasn't doing so great they say, "well no one watched, so we cut it" people watched nascar!

well how are we supposed to like what we don't see?!?!? No wonder we lost viweres, you cut the program, which slowly lost viewers and money so the series had to cut off the programming on the channel, funny!! It's interesting how over in Europe which I can name 5 different TV broadcasters off the top of my head who broadcast EVERY TYPE of racing and everyone enjoys it? huh, very interesting indeed. I think it's EXTREMELY hilarious that there are THOUSANDS of people now that go against Speed, the forums are filled with attempts to have them realize their screw up, and no one ever replies or does anything about it, obviously with this switched coverage of the ALMS, which is so american it's not even freaking funny! Contributes more toward the auto industy than ANY other series in america and even worldwide. But the guys at Speed will GLADLY respond to a question about their BS car shows that they'll rerun 43 times a week. :P and no there isn't just a , well this is how it is you have to deal with it, I say rubbish, there is something we can do

Edited by Nick F40

I read the posts and I will add my input.

1. Nascar OWNS the Daytona Prototype deal, 24 hours of Daytona and the like.They had good reason to push ALMS to the side.As we all know here NASCRAP isn't much for competition.DP is all spec racers, ALMS has a lot of innovation and is truly an international series.

2. NASCRAP is now on the backside of the curve. Their popularity is waning. The crowds in the stands ,and viewership are both down. The next TV deal won't be nearly as fat as the one they have now.

3. The IRL is now going to try to grab the reins , and make a big splash.Smartest move they've done is to award the USAC driving champion an Indy lights deal.Doesn't seem like much, but when you can see a guy run Indy Friday before the 500, and the Hoosier Hundred Friday night, the short track fans eat it up.They're the ones who but butts in the stands. Start getting people they know at Indy, they'll come to watch their boy, or girl run.

4. When NASCRAP went to the common body template, so long fans. They can't recognize the POS thats on the track, they lose interest. If you want proof, what's happened to NASCRAP model sales, or do they even sell any?

I used to enjoy stock cars, and even know a lot of the guys that drive them, but anymore it's just boring. Give me this anytime instead.

5271908605_c1dff9f830_z.jpg

IMG_0318 copy by uncloose1, on Flickr

Really I hope you are exagerating when you say you don't know any of them. There are many world famous drivers in the ALMS series. How could you have a pod cast covering racing and not claim to know anyone. that would be like me making podcasts of my girlfriends knitting club.

Boris Said - one of the best American road course racers

Sacca Massen - Former F-1 driver

Jan Magnussen - Former F-1 driver

Brabbam - Seriously if you don't know that name you shouldn't be report anything in racing.

Patrick Dempsey - Really you don't know who that is because i bet your wife does

Johnny O'Connell - The best American road course racer has won Le Mans 4 times and is the ONLY American driver to do so

I could go on and on.

And I highly doubt that 1000 fans is a few %. The last three years ALMS racing is the ONLY major form of racing that saw INCREASED attendance. Nascar has declined in attendance and so has IRL. Many the smaller organizations are seeing increases it isn't just ALMS.

I don't mean that first part to sound like I am attacking you. It's just that you can't say you don't know any of them.

True, SCCA has been running about 50% +

I read the posts and I will add my input.

1. Nascar OWNS the Daytona Prototype deal, 24 hours of Daytona and the like.They had good reason to push ALMS to the side.As we all know here NASCRAP isn't much for competition.DP is all spec racers, ALMS has a lot of innovation and is truly an international series.

2. NASCRAP is now on the backside of the curve. Their popularity is waning. The crowds in the stands ,and viewership are both down. The next TV deal won't be nearly as fat as the one they have now.

3. The IRL is now going to try to grab the reins , and make a big splash.Smartest move they've done is to award the USAC driving champion an Indy lights deal.Doesn't seem like much, but when you can see a guy run Indy Friday before the 500, and the Hoosier Hundred Friday night, the short track fans eat it up.They're the ones who but butts in the stands. Start getting people they know at Indy, they'll come to watch their boy, or girl run.

4. When NASCRAP went to the common body template, so long fans. They can't recognize the POS thats on the track, they lose interest. If you want proof, what's happened to NASCRAP model sales, or do they even sell any?

I used to enjoy stock cars, and even know a lot of the guys that drive them, but anymore it's just boring. Give me this anytime instead.

5271908605_c1dff9f830_z.jpg

IMG_0318 copy by uncloose1, on Flickr

Ya goof balls,

AMLS is not Grand Am. Grand Am hosts the 24 of Daytona. Completely different series.

We wouldn't have to argue about all this if Speed would just change their name to "Nascar Network".

I agree 100%. If you can remember back in the 90's, you could watch the following race series on the following channels.

SCCA Trans-AM , World of Outlaws, ASA , NHRA, AMA on TNN ( The Nashville Network , now Spike )

F1, Champcar, World Sportscar Championship, NHRA, Formula Atlantic on TSN / RDS ( Canadas version of ESPN ) Skychannel and ESPN

Since I go to three or more ALMS races a season as a corner worker for CASC in Canada and SCCA in the US, I get to see some great racing live. But the races I don't go to, I now have to watch as streaming video on ESPN3 which I really don't mind as long as I get to watch fast cars.

I agree 100%. If you can remember back in the 90's, you could watch the following race series on the following channels.

SCCA Trans-AM , World of Outlaws, ASA , NHRA, AMA on TNN ( The Nashville Network , now Spike )

F1, Champcar, World Sportscar Championship, NHRA, Formula Atlantic on TSN / RDS ( Canadas version of ESPN ) Skychannel and ESPN

Since I go to three or more ALMS races a season as a corner worker for CASC in Canada and SCCA in the US, I get to see some great racing live. But the races I don't go to, I now have to watch as streaming video on ESPN3 which I really don't mind as long as I get to watch fast cars.

I used to be in front of the tv every weekend as a kid. I even missed little league baseball games just to watch. I understand Nascar is a business and pushing the competitors out of tv deals is all business but Nascar does not support the sport of racing they just support themselves.

Don't forget about the SCORE and SODA races that used to be on ESPN and TNN. ESPN even used to show swamp buggy racing and in the winter snow racing and all sorts of small time stuff.

Edited by ra7c7er

Don't just blame the scantioning bodies, it's the corperate sponsers. If Nascar didn't have Sprint (and before that Nextel and Winson) they wouldn't be where they are at, same for NHRA and Poweraide (Coca-cola Co.), Grand-Am has Rolex, Indy Car would be dead if not for Izod. Who is the title sponser for ALMS ??? What about SCCA ??? See what I mean ???

After I posted I checked and Tequila Patron is the title sponser, still, not the same as Sprint, Coca-cola, Izod, or Rolex.

Edited by slantasaurus

Don't just blame the scantioning bodies, it's the corperate sponsers. If Nascar didn't have Sprint (and before that Nextel and Winson) they wouldn't be where they are at, same for NHRA and Poweraide (Coca-cola Co.), Grand-Am has Rolex, Indy Car would be dead if not for Izod. Who is the title sponser for ALMS ??? What about SCCA ??? See what I mean ???

After I posted I checked and Tequila Patron is the title sponser, still, not the same as Sprint, Coca-cola, Izod, or Rolex.

Tequila Parton

SCCA is a sanctioning body like FIA.

I used to be in front of the tv every weekend as a kid. I even missed little league baseball games just to watch. I understand Nascar is a business and pushing the competitors out of tv deals is all business but Nascar does not support the sport of racing they just support themselves.

Don't forget about the SCORE and SODA races that used to be on ESPN and TNN. ESPN even used to show swamp buggy racing and in the winter snow racing and all sorts of small time stuff.

DING DING DING!!!! :D First part......NAILED :lol:

Yeah ESPN and TNN were the good ones too and they weren't even a motorsports channel. :lol:

SCCA has classes and series inside of the sanctioning body like FIA, which is I think Chris was getting at.

Edited by Nick F40

I'm not quite sure what your point here is ???

SCCA has classes and series inside of the sanctioning body like FIA, which is I think Chris was getting at.

No, I think he was correcting the spelling of "Parton". But what would I know, I'm just a GOOF BALL!

Exactly.

Just meaning SCCA has a bunch of series, classes, races, events under the SCCA umbrella much like FIA.

And FWIW, SCCA has 11 big name sponcers like Tirerack, VW of America, Sunoco, Pace, Hawk Perf, Mobil 1, and others. However, they do not have one main series or event that the put on like NASCAR and NHRA.

Edited by CAL

• 1 year later...