Model Cars Magazine Forum

Adventures in soldering:Hot Rod Wrecker Project Update 2/1/15

I truly hope Gregg is taking serious note of this build, and arranging a photography session worthy of the exquisite artistry and incredible talent displayed in this thread.

This build could be an entire issue all by itself!!

:(

No, two... one for the buildup, and another for the completed model!

And I'd buy both.

And not complain about only one model being covered in two issues.

He may be thumbing through the new street rodder or something gathering inspiration. Or he may be secretly working on it and waiting to throw up a whole lot of progress at one time (hopefully with a good amount of pics). Either way i'll have a pair of glasses on so when my eyes pop outta my head again I dont have to go chase them across the room. B)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Finally got some bench time,

Alyn , Thanks for the kind words!

Hi Joe, Thanks mate ;)

Rob, Going to paint it, a lot of the interior does stay bare metal.

Thanks Clay!

Jason, Thank you, Glad you like the rake, I think with a long hood it should look good.

Tony, Thank you for the support!

Hi Romell, Thank you for checking in :D

Daniel, Thanks for the paint info!

Hi Ron, Thanks for sticking with this ;)

Hi Greg, Don't think we ever met.

Steve, The rivets on the floor are Scale Hardware products.

Thanks Chuck, Love what you are doing with your truck and trailor!

Nathan, Thank you.

Hello vohelpe, I did get your email and I apologize for not repling before this! The copper cab pieces are from .008 stock, the cab floor and firewall and seat are made from .008 tin sheet, the cab roof you will see in this update is .005 sheet stock. My usual method for cutting is to scribe a line with an awl then cut out close to the line with scissors or drills then come up to the finished line with filing.

Hi Shane, Thank you for commenting.

Last but not least, Fastback John, Thank you ,my friend, for your encouragement along the way :D

On with an update...

Adding frame work in the cab interior...

010-45.jpg

Making up some door hinges, I cut down some small hinges from 'Micro Mark' ...

003-63.jpg

002-67.jpg

009-51.jpg

The cowlimg piece in the above photo is just set in place for now...

next up is the roof, I made up the final version of a form for shaping the roof out of MDF that came from a piece of lamiate flooring, very hard stuff I can beat on.....

049-5.jpg

the roof is .005 brass sheet....

051-6.jpg

after heating to cherry red, I shape with a small hammer..

058-4.jpg

since this will be painted I can make the corners by 'pie cutting' then filling in with solder....

064-2.jpg

That's it, I give up...I'll never get to the point you're at now Randy, this is simply unreal work!

You sure you're not really 40 feet tall and this is a full-sized car you're working on? :)

Edited by Custom Mike

Hi Randy,

I pass on the same words of praise already mentioned by the others. I joined this forum a couple of weeks ago and this is the first time I have had the pleasure of looking at your work. I could not imagine there would be people like yourself and Rommel on this forum with such amazing skills and so willing to share with others. There is no doubt in my mind there are others as well and I am looking forward to learning more.

Thanks for sharing your work.

Rob

Good to see you back, man. The cab is really shaping up. I'm surprised you didn't use copper for the roof panel, not that you needed to. It looks great.

I assume you heard the collective sound of 8,000 model builders exhaling. B)

Edited by Alyn

I've been following this build since you started it. It looks very good so far, amazing talents you have! That body looks very good, can't imagion that it is scratchbuilt. It just looks so good. Everything looks very good, this one is awesome project. B)

I assume you heard the collective sound of 8,000 model builders exhaling. B)

That's so true... iagree.gif

As always, it's like opening a present when there's an update. Incredible build...incredible. Your attention to details is amazing. The mounting holes in the door hinges for example. Awesome! Years ago I built a drag bike from brass and it was a challenge.

Models_110010-vi.jpg

Yes, that's a Hemi on a bike frame...

What your doing is %$#@#$% epic...

Thank you for the lessons!

Hi Folks,

Maniac Mike, There you go, pointing out my shortcomings :lol::D:D

Custom Mike, Thank you!!

Thanks Romell, Just trying to keep up with you :lol::lol:

Hi Rob, Welcome and thank you1

Thanks Virgil!!!

Hi Luis, Thank you for the kind words.

Hi Alyn, The first attempt was copper and that one won't be seen in public!!

Thank you Niko.

Thanks Todd, It is supposed to be a '48 Diamond T but you are right, has Autocar lines, especially with the roof on now.

Thank you Chris :lol:

Hi John, Great looking bike!!!

I have gotten some e-mails asking about how I build up parts so I took a bunch of pics showing how I built a steering wheel. This is just my method and I don't claim it to be the best way :D

Starting with a piece of .008 tin sheet. Simple layout lines...

003-65.jpg

009-52.jpg

Starting to remove material by drilling...

001-69.jpg

Using files and an exacto knife to get the basic shape. The tin is starting to get pretty fragile at this stage so I will solder on brass washers and copper rings to strengthen it. It has to be scale but also strong enough to actually turn the wheels without folding up!

003-66.jpg

008-50.jpg

Filed the rings into half rounds....

011-38.jpg

016-33.jpg

Now that it is stronger I can remove more material by filing...

020-15.jpg

018-29.jpg

The shaft will slip thru the steering column and then I will put a pin thru the threads that the slotted piece on the steering wheel hub will fit into. The wheel then gets bolted on. ...

006-62.jpg

011-39.jpg

I added a little knob on the steering wheel to hide the seam in the rings ....

018-30.jpg

Hope this makes sense!

Randy